PhotographyBLOG

Sony A900
Olympus SP-565 UZ
Genuine Fractals 6

All Reviews
Best Digital Cameras

LATEST COMMENTS

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 08, 2016

Canon Develops 250-Megapixel Sensor
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: mothers day images 2016

Canon Develops 250-Megapixel Sensor
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: womens day quotes

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: Xenderappforpc.com

Nikon D500 Launch Pushed Back to April 2016
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: Xender

Sony A77 II Firmware Update 2.00
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: sam4uu

Latest Threads

MOST COMMENTS

Panasonic DMC-LX1 Announced (796)

Kodak Easyshare Z981 (514)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 (481)

Ricoh Caplio R3 Announced (422)

Panasonic DMC-FZ30 Announced (361)

Impossible B&W SX-70 Hard Color (267)

Fujifilm Finepix E550 Review (264)

Sony DSC-H5 and Sony DSC-H2 (242)

Canon G7 (227)

Samsung S800, Samsung S600 and Samsung S500 (209)

ARCHIVES

Digital Wedding Forum
Everyday Eye
Mark Goldstein
Mobile Phones
ShutterPoint

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSMSigma have added their HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) technology to the 24-70mm standard zoom lens. The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM lens is more compact than the previous model with an overall length of 94.7cm /3.7inch. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 38cm/15in and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:5.3. The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM will be available in Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony mounts, available for £799.99. This new lens will be sold alongside the current Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG lens.

Update: We have a gallery of photos of the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM lens - click the continue link below…

Sigma Press Release

The compact large aperture standard zoom lens equipped with HSM

2008.9.23 - The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM.

This large aperture standard zoom lens covers focal lengths from 24mm and is housed in compact construction. The latest optical design provides an overall length of 94.7cm /3.7inch. It is ideal for general photography such as snapshots, portraiture and landscapes. The Super Multi Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting. ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion) glass, two SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements and three aspherical lenses provide excellent correction of all types of aberrations. Superior optical performance is ensured throughout the entire zoom range. This lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), ensuring a quiet and high speed AF as well as full time manual focusing capability. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 38cm/15in and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:5.3. The rounded 9 blades diaphragm creates an attractive blur. It is possible to attach the included petal-type hood to block out extraneous light.

24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
Case, Petal-type Hood supplied
Sigma, Canon, Nikon*, Pentax*, Sony*
* If the camera body does not support HSM, auto focus will not be available

Features
  * Large aperture standard zoom lens
  * ELD and SLD glass provides excellent correction of all types of aberrations
  * Super Multi Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting
  * Equipped with HSM ensuring quiet and high speed AF
  * The rounded 9 blade diaphragm creates an attractive blur

Specifications (For Sigma mount)
*Lens Construction:14 Elements 12 Groups *Angle of View:84.1°-34.3° *Number of blades:9pcs *Minimum Aperture:F22 *Minimum Focusing Distance Distance:38cm/15in *Maximum Magnification:1?5.3 *Filter Size:Ø82mm *Lens Hood:Petal-type hood *Dimensions:Ø88.6mm×94.7mm/3.5in×3.7in *Weight:TBD

Accessories
SIGMA DG UV 82mm
SIGMA DG WIDE CIRCULAR PL 82mm

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

Published: Thursday, September 25, 2008

Compare Prices

Support PhotographyBLOG: Buy this product from one of our affiliate retailers (US first/red, UK second/blue):

Reader Comments

1. Am i the only one being really excited about this?

Michael at 11:18am on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

2. I'm excited over it too! I had the 24-70 f2.8 but this one being smaller, lighter, shorter MFD and above all - HSM!

Unfortunately it's still on 82mm diameter. damn. I want 77mm so I could share filters with my Sigma 10-20!

goldfries at 12:21am on Monday, September 29, 2008

3. im excited about it too! never had sigma lens.... hope this has great image quality just as the sigma 50mm 1.4................. dont wanna spend extra money for the canon 24-70........

by the way... where's the "continue link"? i didnt see it....

Dee at 06:09pm on Wednesday, November 12, 2008

4. I'm very interested in it's qualities and am planning on buying this lens if it is better than Sigma's current 24-70 F2.8-lens.

What date is the 'update' and I can also not see the 'continue-link'? Any word on availability and pricing yet?

Exploited at 12:26pm on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

5. Hi,

Very interested in this lens as a wedding photographer provided the quality is better than Canon's 24-70L lens.

Unfortunately no OS on this lens...

Where is the photo gallery? As of today (Jan 9) you mention a continue link but there is no such link on the page...

Blaise

Wedding photographer France at 01:02am on Saturday, January 10, 2009

6. 1. even the Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 L has no IS.

2. IMO the image quality would never be beating a Canon L lens.

goldfries at 03:15am on Saturday, January 10, 2009

7. Hello,

I disagree goldfries:

1. The Canon 17-55 HAS Image Stabilisation. This lens is a key reason a lot of people stick with a cropped frame and don't move to a full frame body. My guess is that Canon will be launching an IS 24-70 for full frame cameras pretty soon.

2. Sigma lenses can be better than the Canon equivalents. For instance the new 50mm 1.4 or the 15mm fisheye. The price point Sigma has set on this lens is very high and as such one can expect excellent quality.

regards,

Blaise

Wedding photographer France at 10:19am on Saturday, January 10, 2009

8. Is this one an internal zoom design? It reminds me of my 12-24 which is very resembling physically. If it's the same build quality it would really be great.

Bogdan at 08:28pm on Saturday, January 10, 2009

9. Blaise,

1. I know the 17-55 has IS, in fact like what you said, I'm planning to go 17-55 IS USM and stick with cropped sensor due to that. :) Anyway, my reply was in context of the EF 24-70 L alone, vs the Sigma 24-70.

2. Thanks for pointing out the new 50mm f1.4 and 15mm fish-eye btw.

goldfries at 02:47am on Sunday, January 11, 2009

10. Honestly, and 'unbiasedly', being a user of the 24-70L I find the Sigma 24-70 (EX DG MACRO) matches it very closely except for the lack of HSM..but now here it is on the newer variant!

Personally I always had faith in the EX range from Sigma and it has never fell short of my expectation so far. They make wonderful lenses which can compare to both Canon or Nikon's upper class lenses.

With better ISO control on cameras these days, IS isn't crucial at the 70mm end.

Cox at 04:07am on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

11. Well I bought a Sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg in August last year (new from the store) and it didn't focus properly on my 40D.

They tried adjusting it in the service center but the problem wasn't misalignment but the lens itself -- the motor kept missing the focus point in both directions as if not being able to step precisely enough so it went back-forth-back-forth when you pressed the shutter half-way.

I was pissed off because I had to borrow another lens with lower performance in low-light for my trip to San Francisco and I later returned it for a full refund and got a Canon 70-200 f4L instead deciding to hold off on the purchase at the wide end until I get the money for Canon's 24-70 2.8L.

I will consider this lens, but given my experience with non-hsm version I won't buy it without testing it thoroughly and without being able to pick from at least three of them.

Igor at 10:11am on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

12. I recently purchased the new HSM version of this lens. Very disappointing. Not just soft at F2.8 but blurry. The Lens is a huge monster of a lens. Heavy, impressive looking. But given the fact that I need something crispy at F2.8 zoomed in to 70mm, this lens doesnt get it. I called Sigma and told them about it and they said it might have a focus problem. That's all I read about the non HSM version. I was hoping the new one would be corrected. It is not, and is not worth the $900 price tag. Very Disappointed.

Richard Sullivan at 08:48pm on Monday, March 09, 2009

13. I bought the HSM version, at first it was blurry, immensely dissapointed, lost sleep over it in fact. Brought it back to the dealer and asked for a second copy. Apparently, all it needed was calibration using a software. Now I can finally enjoy this piece of glass.

dennis at 04:19pm on Monday, March 16, 2009

14. Hi Dennis,

Interesting: how did the calibration happen? Did the vendor do the calibration or was it sent to Sigma?

Was the calibration done in your camera (50D micro adjustment for instance) or in the lens?

Blaise

Wedding Photographer French Riviera at 06:57pm on Monday, March 16, 2009

15. Hi Dennis,
    How did you get the calibration done? And as Blaise asked, did the vendor do it for you?

Rahul at 08:26pm on Monday, March 16, 2009

16. Sigmas recent products are starting to get really competitive. The DP1 / DP2 offer class leading image quality in a compact camera. The 50/1.4 EX is probably the best 50mm SLR lens currently available (and siginificantly more expensive than manufacturers 50/1.4 lenses!). See here for a review of the new 24-70 HSM vs Nikkor 24-70. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://review.fengniao.com/124/1249443.html&prev=_t

JoeM at 12:42pm on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

17. Calibration was done by the shop (Sigma) technician. It was explained to me that before, calibration was done by manually adjusting ( opening the lens I suppose) it. With the new HSM version , they hooked it up to a computer and made some adjustments, fine tuned it with my 50D. I am quite satisfied with the result so far. Coming from a kit lens, the images are better, of course I would not know how it fares with the L lens because I don't own one.

Dennis at 03:35pm on Sunday, March 22, 2009

18. I have bought the lense and use it on a Nikon D90 Body. Lens is great, but AF is not always working. E.g. does not work while in Movie mode of the camera ( viewing via the monitor-live view). Also AF works best when in single point mode.

Apart from that the quality of the photos is very clear and good.

I wonder though whether I should also get the lense fine tuned?

tino at 10:02am on Wednesday, April 01, 2009

19. hi tino, i think only manual focus works on the d90 movie mode, so that means there's nothing wrong with your lens with respect to af =)

i bought the lens too, and it works great, pictures are sharp and clear although i suspect a slight front focusing problem,by a couple of mm. i'll bring it to the shop to have it calibrated

ari at 01:36am on Thursday, April 16, 2009

20. Sigma hsm is much MUCH better than canon L old version. There is roumors talking about 24-70L IS so thats the answer from canon.

Sigma covered that gup so I am for it!! :) I have the old version but I may sell it.

George at 09:28am on Thursday, April 16, 2009

21. maybe i missing the point but I was looking for a review that tells me what the lens is like. All that is here is the specs. I already know them. How does it perform? Edge sharpness? Do sigma have a graph showing contrast resolution? What about distortion?? etc etc

hue at 02:32am on Thursday, June 25, 2009

22. For only $200 difference in price compared to Canon 24-70 I would always pick Canon over Sigma especially knowing how poor quality control Sigma has, not to mention the fact that you are risking back/front focusing issues which you might not be able to correct without calibrating the lens.

Igor Levicki at 05:14pm on Saturday, August 01, 2009

23. This post is very much informative in context. I like to admire the way you explain the topic about Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Lens.I would like to thank the author for his marvelous efforts.

iniciator final at 01:19pm on Saturday, April 21, 2012