PMA 2006: The wireless Canon PIXMA MP800R all-in-one is announced today. The PIXMA MP800R will be available from March 2006, priced at around £329.00 / €475.00.
Canon UK Press Release
Canon launches the PIXMA MP800R: The premium wireless photo All-in-One
Canon is pleased to announce the launch of the PIXMA MP800R – the premium PIXMA multifunctional photo All-In-One (print, scan and copy) with wireless connectivity. A wireless, networkable version of the PIXMA MP800, the new device delivers fast, superior quality print, scan and copy functions. It also offers PC-less printing from a huge range of devices with its integrated memory card, PictBridge, IrDA, and optional Bluetooth connectivity, as well as direct from 35mm film originals. “With increasing demand for wireless devices in the home, Canon continues to drive the home photo printing market by expanding its PIXMA multifunctional range,” says Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging, Europe. “Our new flagship multifunctional with inbuilt wireless offers users the freedom to produce photo lab quality prints from anywhere in the home.”
The PIXMA MP800R features:
• Wireless (802.11 g/b) and Wired (Ethernet) LAN connectivity
• Large 8.9 cm colour LCD viewer for image preview, enhancement and cropping
• FINE (Full-photolithography Inkjet Nozzle Engineering) high-density print heads with 1 pl ink droplets and 96002 x 2400 dpi resolution for lab quality, high-speed photo prints
• 10 x 15cm borderless photolab quality prints in approx. 36 seconds
• ChromaLife1001 technology for long lasting fade-resistant prints
• 2400dpi/600dpi dual CCD for high-resolution scanning and fast copying; copies at 30 cpm mono, 24 cpm colour
• Sleek designer styling
• Advanced media handling with dual paper trays, integrated duplex unit and DVD/CD printing
• Extensive connectivity for photo capture devices including memory card slots, PictBridge1, IrDA and Bluetooth (optional) for printing from compatible mobile phones
• Film Adapter Unit for 6 x 35mm film/transparency or 4 x 35mm mounted slide scanning
• Canon’s efficient ‘Transparent’ Single Ink system1, with ContrastPLUS inks1
• Fast borderless printing and copying
• USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface to keep performance at maximum capacity
For the ultimate in flexible home printing, scanning and copying, the PIXMA MP800R is Wi-Fi and Ethernet compliant, supporting both wireless and wired networks as well as connection by USB. It features convenient home-user focused specifications such as easy-setup, print-on-demand and a print status checking function from multiple computers.
The multifunctional incorporates IEEE802.11g/b for high transmission rates with a 50m (indoor) range and can also be connected to a standard 10/100 Mbps wired network. Security features include: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, WEP64/128 bit encryption, the capacity to block access via MAC address or IP address filtering.
Direct Printing for digital and analogue
Compatible with all popular memory cards and offering IrDA and optional Bluetooth printing, the PIXMA MP800R is a truly flexible Direct Printing device. To support direct printing without a computer, its large 8.9cm colour LCD screen can be used to
- Preview images and page layouts
- Preview image trimming or cropping
- Copy or print directly onto compatible DVD/CDs
The PIXMA MP800R is equipped with a range of built-in image enhancement features, so photographs can be improved without resorting to the PC. Red-eye Correction automatically detects and rectifies red eyes, while Face Brightener can distinguish and increase the brightness of faces when they are in shadow. Brightness, contrast and colour hue can be altered, or a sepia effect applied. Prints of low-resolution images, such as those taken on a camera phone, are optimised with Image Optimiser function – softening jagged outlines and reducing JPEG block noises.
Wireless printing from Bluetooth compatible camera phones and PDAs is available with the optional compact BU-20 Bluetooth adapter, which plugs into the PictBridge port.
With the PHOTO/FILM button, reprints of photographs and 35 mm film or slides can be easily made without using a computer. A host of photo corrections are available, including Fading correction, Grain correction and Backlight correction. For details on the PIXMA MP800R’s additional special photo features see Technologies Explained.
The PIXMA MP800R provides advanced 2400 x 4800 dpi scanning, with scanning from film or slides using the Film Adapter Unit. It features Multi Scan, which scans up to 10 photos as multiple single images at a time, and can automatically correct tilted images. With the Push-Scan function, users can send film or photo scans to the PC using only the control panel, while a scan to PDF function creates PDFs from original documents without use of conversion software.
Advanced Media Handling
The stylish PIXMA MP800R incorporates Canon’s Advanced Media Handling system, with dual paper trays – so the printer can be loaded with plain paper and photo media simultaneously – as well as auto duplex printing and integrated DVD/CD printing.
As well as fast, high quality colour and mono copies, the PIXMA MP800R features a number of advanced copier functions, including Auto Intensity (AE) copying, 4-on-1 copying, Borderless copy and even a special copy feature, which allows users to make copies of DVD or CD labels directly onto a compatible DVD or CD.
A comprehensive range of quality software is bundled with the PIXMA MP800R, allowing users to make full use of its functionality. For details see Additional Information.
Canon’s growing range of media extends the creative and practical applications of the PIXMA MP800R. For details see Additional Information.
Pricing and availability
The PIXMA MP800R will be available from March 2006, priced at around £329.00 inc. VAT/ €475.00 inc. VAT.
The PIXMA MP800R is bundled with the following software:
- MP Navigator 2.1 – helps users get immediate optimum results with minimum fuss. Users simply select the required process and desired output. Version 2.1 features: improved PDF functionality; improved zoom window for scanned images; additional buttons and controls for greater usability; and options to scan from colour magazines or film.
- Easy-PhotoPrint – provides three easy steps to printing photos. Assisting with options such as media selection and scaling, it includes features such as Face Sharpening for out-of-focus face correction, Red Eye Correction and Digital Face Smoothing to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Easy-WebPrint – (Windows only) sits on the Explorer toolbar and takes the frustration out of web page printing, saving time, ink and paper by correctly scaling output to prevent the common problem of having the right-hand side of web pages cut off.
- CD-LabelPrint – simplifies printing directly onto print-ready CD-Rs and DVDs
• ScanSoft OmniPage SE – Optical Character Recognition application that converts scanned text into characters for editing or storage as a searchable text file.
• ArcSoft Photo Studio – image-editing program featuring automatic colour and tone enhancement, cloning, animated 3D text and over 40 special effects.
The PIXMA MP800R is compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000/XP and Mac OS X v10.4 or later.
Canon’s competitive advantage in printer hardware technology is fully realised when genuine Canon photo grade media and inks are used. The diverse and growing range of Canon media is developed specifically to work in combination with Canon’s FINE ink jet print technology. Photo papers and media are available in a wide range of formats (including mini stickers), finishes (from matt to semi-gloss to full gloss) and sizes (from credit card to A4). A new 8 x 10” (20 x 25 cm) version of SG-101 and PR-101 is now available. The flagship Photo Paper Pro (PR-101) offers the highest grade professional results with ultimate durability. A double-sided photo paper (PP-101D 5 x 7cm and PP-101D A4) is also available.
Canon’s patented FINE semi-conductor manufacturing technique creates extraordinary print speeds for both photo as well as document printing by producing exceptionally long print heads with exceptionally high nozzle count (more than 3500) and density. These get more ink on the page in less time than is possible with traditional inkjet technology, delivering fast borderless photo prints up to A4 size.
FINE also achieves virtually grain free photolab quality by delivering millions of microscopic 1 pl ink droplets each second with extremely high consistency and accuracy from 9 ?m diameter Micro-Nozzles.
For improved fade resistance, the multifunctional device supports Canon’s ChromaLife100: a system of genuine Canon dye-based inks, which deliver exceptionally broad colour gamut, and specialised photo paper designed to work together with FINE print heads. This technology ‘triangle’ of nozzle design, ink and media produces prints that rival silver halide quality and longevity. Prints resist fading for 100 years when album-stored, 30 years when displayed under glass and 10 years when exposed to the effects of the air .
ContrastPLUS technology works together with FINE to generate exceptionally crisp, high contrast results with lustrous colours. In addition to three colour dye inks (cyan, magenta and yellow), the system includes a dye-based black ink for sharper contrast.
The PIXMA MP800R’s individual ink tanks ensure that only those inks which run out need to be replaced. They feature LEDs that only light when the tanks are installed correctly. To provide ink level monitoring information during stand-alone use that would normally be displayed on the computer screen, LEDs flash slowly to warn when the tank runs low, and more rapidly to indicate when the tank is empty.
Auto Intensity (AE) Copy
The AE function pre-scans documents placed on the glass and analyses them to determine the correct image processing parameter for optimum copying. The main correction functions are:
- Cleans backgrounds and emphasises characters in text documents
- Prevents show-through of images/text from the back side of the sheet
- Provides optimised contrast for the image to be printed
- Corrects images with blacked out portions and light areas (overexposed images)
Special photo features
Photographs (digital or hard copy print) can be improved upon with the PIXMA MP800R’s special photo features, including:
- Face brightener – automatically detects the face of subjects that are underexposed due to shadows or backlighting, and adjusts tone to brighten the affected area.
- Red eye correction – automatically detects red eyes in photographs and adjusts colour to rectifies them by adjusting the colour
- Fading correction – the effects of film aging are reversed by resaturating faded colours in old photographs
- Grain correction –removes the grain when scanning photographs taken using fast (high ASA) film
- Photo reprint/film copy – a special copy feature, which includes Fade Restoration and Face Brightener.
The vendor independent PictBridge standard provides direct cable connection photo printing with contemporary digital cameras and digital video cameras, without the need for a PC.
About Canon (UK) Limited
Canon is a world-leading innovator and provider of imaging and information technology solutions for the home and office environments.
Canon has a global philosophy of Kyosei - living and working together for the common good, which clearly demonstrates commitment to customers, staff and the environment shared by all.
Canon (UK) Ltd is the UK marketing and sales operation for the US$33 billion global company based in Tokyo, Japan. In the UK Canon employs over 2,000 people in various locations including Ireland and has achieved sales of £522m in 2004.
The main business focus for Canon (UK) Ltd, covers two clearly defined market segments: Business Solutions covering both the office and professional printing environments (including: multifunctional printers, IT consultation and peripherals: photocopiers, printers, fax machines, document management hardware & software, multimedia LCD projectors) and Consumer Imaging (input solutions: film and digital cameras, camcorders, binoculars and scanners; and output solutions: Ink Jet printers, fax machines, desktop multifunctionals and multimedia projectors).