Canon PowerShot G1 X Hands-On Photos

January 10, 2012 | Mark Goldstein | CES 2012, Digital Compact Cameras | 16 Comments |

A detailed hands-on look at the new Canon PowerShot G1 X compact camera.

CES 2012 still hasn’t started yet, but that hasn’t stopped us from taking a look at Canon’s interesting PowerShot G1 X compact camera.

With an image sensor larger than MicoFourThirds, a flip-out LCD screen and a fast 4x zoom lens in a relatively compact body, the G1 X is Canon’s answer to many of their rivals’ compact system cameras, at least until Canon decide to release their own mirrorless model (if they ever do).

So take a close-up look at the new Canon PowerShot G1 X in our extensive photo gallery, including a side-by-side comparison with the Panasonic GX1 CSC and the Canon PowerShot S95 compact.

32 photos of the new Canon PowerShot G1 X compact camera.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Firillu

it may be good, but it sure is UGLY. Ugly enough to loose interest.

4:11 pm - Tuesday, January 10, 2012

#2 pat

Thats a lot bigger than i was expecting, the proportions look off...but maybe that's just because the G12 shape is so familiar. Thanks for doing a size comparison with the Gx1. Ha, I didn't see it until now but there is a GX1 and a G1X. X must be in this year.

9:00 pm - Tuesday, January 10, 2012

#3 Steve

When is a compact not a compact ? When it is a G1 X BRIDGE camera. It's HUGE ! And a 28mm wide end ? 24-96 is much more useful for a 4x zoom.

4:04 am - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#4 dj

Not sure why people would buy the Canon ...the Panasonic GX1 beside it is so much more versitile.

4:05 am - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#5 pb

Fast lens??? Since when?

11:08 am - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#6 Feri Naf

@dj
If you're looking for a more portable camera to complement your DSLR to take with you hiking, skiing, to the beach etc. but still want good IQ you don't necessarily need more than one lens, the G1X could be the one. For me the flip out screen is really useful and the lens seems better (spec wise) than the usual mirrorless kit lens. If the AF performance is close to the Pen's and GX1 the steep price is something a lot of people could live with.

11:55 am - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#7 Mat

I have a question....lens cap or auto lens cover? I'm assuming cap - which is a shame.

2:06 pm - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#8 Uri Ben

Why ugly ??? - for G. sake what is a good looking camera??? I find the Gx1 a really beautiful "Strong like" looking camera.

3:01 pm - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#9 photo art

GREAT JOB CANON- this a beauty camera.
Large sensor - with compact body and excellent perfect less = image quality of the photos as in amateur DSLR.
Nikon ............is far behind.

12:12 pm - Thursday, January 12, 2012

#10 Alex C

@Mat: You can see the lens cap in picture #17 (http://www.photographyblog.com/images/uploads_news/canon_powershot_g1_x_photos_17_thumb.jpg)

1:42 am - Friday, January 13, 2012

#11 DaveAB

I wonder if there will also be a Powershot G13 later this year? The G1X is larger than the G12, has a far larger image sensor, and (at least in the U.S.) cost $300 more (actually $400 more with the heavy discounts on the G12 lately). It wouldn't surprise me to see a G13 with the sensor from the new S100 come out at the $450-500 price point. If the same size as the G12, it would
be a (barely) pocketable compact, the G1X, not so much.

12:53 pm - Friday, January 13, 2012

#12 nh

I really don't understand why the manufacturers keep trying to make compact APS-C, they all end up similar in bulk (w/lenses) to a DSLR. MFT still is really the best compromise of compactness and quality. This Canon won't attract the compact user or serious user (serious as in 28mm or f5.8). Why didn't Canon and Nikon just join the FourThirds gang. I like my dslr but I like my micro Olys on my Panny. What if I could have picked a Nikon or Canon lens that was MFT! Or put my Olympus on a Nikon MFT body?

3:48 pm - Friday, January 13, 2012

#13 luxornet

I think is the ugliest and bulky PowerShot I seen.
I like that Canon use a larger sensor than MicroFourThirds.

8:07 pm - Saturday, January 14, 2012

#14 Bob Roach

It's waterproof. I'll probably get one for that reason. Shallow diving and I like to work in the rain. You can get some interesting images

8:19 pm - Saturday, January 14, 2012

#15 oooo

My lord, this is one seriously U.G.L.Y camera! Looks like the worst of the 70's come back to haunt 2012! And practically it offers nothing against micro4/3 or the NEX, this camera is a big ugly duckling that quite frankly looks 15 years out of date and behind the times. Canon was asleep for the first years of the compact system race then decided to field an old draught horse!

hahaha. They should trash this and keep face with their great DSLR's and Compacts. nuff said.

9:23 am - Monday, January 16, 2012

#16 shaike

Why all these negative reactions on the looks of the G1X? For so long fans of G series have been telling canon to put an APS-C sensor in its G series. Now that they have done it, well almost, but they did it . we must understand the limitations of doing such thing. So accept it. I think G1X is a step forward for P&S cameras. I am certainly tempted to get one myself.

6:04 am - Tuesday, January 17, 2012