Canon PowerShot SX1 IS / SX10 IS

September 17, 2008 | Mark Goldstein | Digital Compact Cameras | 56 Comments |

Canon PowerShot SX10 ISCanon have unveiled two new super-zoom cameras, the PowerShot SX1 IS and PowerShot SX10 IS. Jointly replacing the PowerShot S5 IS, both the SX1 and SX10 feature a 20x wide-angle zoom lens, with USM and VCM for fast, silent, zooming, and an optical Image Stabilizer. The Canon SX1 IS excitingly features a CMOS sensor which allows it to shoot full-resolution JPEGs at speeds of up to 4fps and full HD movie capture. Both models also have Canon’s new DIGIC 4 processor and full manual control over both aperture and shutter speed. The Canon PowerShot SX1 IS will be available from December priced at £519.99 / €679.99, and the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS is priced at £359.99 / €469.99. In the US the Canon SX1 IS will be available in April for $599.99.

Update: We now have some exclusive shots of the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS from the UK press launch.

Canon UK Press Release

Canon brings HD moviemaking and 4fps shooting to its PowerShot super zoom series

United Kingdom / Republic of Ireland, 17 September 2008: Canon today supercharges its PowerShot digital compact camera range with two powerful new models: the 10 Megapixel PowerShot SX1 IS and PowerShot SX10 IS, which jointly replace the PowerShot S5 IS.

Both raise the benchmark for compact zooms with an outstanding 20x wide-angle (28mm) optical zoom, with USM and VCM for fast, silent, zooming. The PowerShot SX1 IS offers a revolutionary series of features never seen before on a Canon compact camera – a 10 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor, 4 frames per second continuous shooting, and full HD movie capture – while both cameras use Canon’s new DIGIC 4 processor for fast performance and richly detailed, clean images in a wide range of shooting situations.

Unbeatable reach
With a Canon 20x wide-angle (28mm) optical zoom lens, the PowerShot SX1 IS and PowerShot SX10 IS tackle everything from long-range telephoto shots to sweeping landscapes. Canon’s Ultrasonic Motor (USM) combines with Voice Coil Motor (VCM) technology for near-silent operation and the speed for sports or wildlife subjects. And thanks to Canon’s optical Image Stabilizer – which now offers a 4-stop advantage – camera shake blur is avoided even with the zoom fully extended.

10 Megapixel power
The PowerShot SX1 IS and PowerShot SX10 IS feature resolutions of 10 Megapixels, capturing all the necessary detail for poster-size prints or creative cropping in post processing. A Canon CMOS sensor allows the PowerShot SX1 IS to shoot full-resolution JPEGs at speeds of up to 4fps – making it a powerful, pocket-sized tool ideal for capturing fast-paced action sequences.

High Definition moviemaking
For the ultimate in visual quality, the PowerShot SX1 IS delivers 1080p (30fps) High Definition video – ready for instant playback on any HDTV via a built-in HDMI connection (Requires optional HDMI cable). The PowerShot SX10 IS offers fun, spontaneous VGA movie shooting. Movies on both cameras are enhanced with CD quality stereo sound, optical zooming and Face Detection Technology; and if extra reach is required, the PowerShot SX1 IS includes Canon’s Advanced Tele-Converter for an extra 2x zoom with no loss in movie quality.

DIGIC 4: intelligent processing for better photos
The PowerShot SX1 IS and PowerShot SX10 IS both feature Canon’s new DIGIC 4 image processor. As well as ensuring ultra-fast operation and superb,
low-noise images, DIGIC 4 drives several intelligent technologies that make great photos easier than ever.

People shots benefit from improved Face Detection Technology, which even detects faces positioned at an angle to the camera, or in profile. Face Select & Track tracks a specific subject even more accurately, while a new FaceSelf-timer function – which automatically triggers the shutter shortly after a new face enters the frame – makes group shots and self-portraits easy.

Canon’s improved Motion Detection Technology delivers fantastic, sharp results by registering camera and subject movement, then automatically adjusting ISO to prevent image blur. Blur is further guarded against by new Servo AF, which continuously adjusts focus on subjects moving towards or away from the camera.

DIGIC 4 also powers Canon’s new i-Contrast feature, which brings out great, natural-looking detail in dark areas of pictures – without blowing out lighter areas.

Total Control
For the ultimate creative precision, the PowerShot SX1 IS and PowerShot SX10 IS offer full manual control over both aperture and shutter speed. A Multi Control Dial offers fingertip access to all key settings. Plus, compatibility with a range of accessories – including Canon’s professional Speedlite EX flash units – extends creative potential even further.

Also included with the PowerShot SX1 IS is Canon’s WC-DC300 controller, which allows wireless control of shooting and playback. This is ideal for tripod shots at slow shutter speeds, or any situation where keeping a distance from the camera is preferable.

“Both of these cameras offer exceptional imaging possibilities,” said Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging, Europe. “In particular, the PowerShot SX1 IS genuinely redefines what a compact digital camera can do. This kind of power and versatility must be experienced to be believed.”

Pricing & Availability
The PowerShot SX1 IS is available from December priced at £519.99 / €679.99 RRP inc VAT.
The PowerShot SX10 IS is available from October priced at £359.99 / €469.99 RRP inc VAT.

Features at a glance
20x wide-angle (28mm, f/2.8) optical zoom with optical Image Stabilizer
10.0 Megapixels
Canon CMOS sensor for full resolution continuous 4fps shooting
(PowerShot SX1 IS)
Full HD (1080p, 30fps) movies plus HDMI output (PowerShot SX1 IS)
DIGIC 4 for outstanding images and fast response times
Shooting modes include full manual control
Great people shots with Face Detection AF/AE/FE/WB plus
Face Select & Track and FaceSelf-Timer
Targets every possible cause of blur with High ISO Auto, optical
Image Stabilizer, Motion Detection Technology and Servo AF
Auto Red-Eye Correction in shooting and playback
i-Contrast boosts brightness and retains detail in dark areas
2.5” vari-angle LCD II with wide viewing angle plus electronic viewfinder (PowerShot SX10 IS)
2.8” widescreen vari-angle LCD II with wide viewing angle (PowerShot SX1 IS)
Multi Control Dial and customizable My Menu
Smooth, 30fps VGA movies (PowerShot SX10 IS)

Click on the following images to open a larger version in a new window.

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS

#1 Richard Meyeroff

What are the difference between the SX1 and the SX10?
Perhaps in a chart format

10:37 pm - Wednesday, September 17, 2008

#2 Rog

the SX1 has a cmos sensor, does full HD movies and has a hdmi out, the other, only has a CCD sensor, no full HD movie and it's cheaper.

1:06 am - Thursday, September 18, 2008

#3 Richard Meyeroff

What does the difference between the sensors mean as they are both the same density?

2:55 am - Thursday, September 18, 2008

#4 James

What is the 1080p quality on this? Anyone know the format and bit rate - are we talking the level of 24Mbps AVCHD?...

9:59 am - Thursday, September 18, 2008

#5 Mike Paterson

Did I read this right......
The SX1 will come shipped with the Canon 2x teleconverter in the box?

10:06 pm - Thursday, September 18, 2008

#6 Q

Any details on the f-stop range on the lens? In the specs you only have 2.8. NO way it's a 2.8 throughout the focal length. Right?

10:49 pm - Thursday, September 18, 2008

#7 martin

My understanding is that SX1 2x teleconverter is actually basically digital (you get a 2.5 MP picture zoomed in instead of the 10MP)

3:07 am - Friday, September 19, 2008

#8 Mike Paterson

Many thanks Martin for your input.

Reading this then I now have the following:-
The Canon SX1 20x zoom then with 2x teleconverter at 2.5MP would equal 40x optical.

The Panasonic FZ28 has a slightly lower 18x zoom but changing the MP to 3MP equals 32.1x opitcal.

It would appear the Canon has a slight edge on the Panasonic albeit at a margin of 0.5MP

What is the digital zoom of the SX1?
I know the FZ28 is 4x which gives a combined zoom of 128.4 digital.

Don't be fooled into thinking the digital is not to be taken seriously....
I've seen some shots with the FZ28 at this full digital and they are impressive all things considered!

7:14 am - Friday, September 19, 2008

#9 Antti Roine

Does anybody know answers to the following simple questions:

1) The closest focusing distance of SX1 is 0 cm at 28 mm zoom (equiv) setting. Does this lead to barrel distortion? Ie. does SX1 IS has a real macro or a toy macro?

2) What is the closest focusing distance at 100 and 560 mm zoom (equiv) setting?

3) The maximum aperature range is from F2.8 to F5.7, what is the minimum F range?

4) Does SX1 internal computer fix the barrel and pincushion distortions like Panasonic FZ28 do?

I cannot understand why Canon do not publish these critical specifications.

I am quite satisfied with my Panasonic FZ28, but it do not have flexible LCD and flash hot-shoe.

Regars, Antti

5:14 pm - Friday, September 26, 2008

#10 Mike Paterson

Antii,
Have you read this topic over at DPReview's Canon Talk:-

5:39 pm - Friday, September 26, 2008

#11 Rafi

Am wondering if the video will auto-focus.. But I must say it seems that it will make a great walk-around even if you don't use the video. Any one know the $ price.
Happy holidays all....

10:46 pm - Friday, September 26, 2008

#12 arsh

hi i am totally confuse ,which camera to buy b/w panasonic fz 28 and canon sx10 IS.
There are no reviews abt canon until now and it is yet not available in our country.Should i wait for it or buy panasonic.I dont think so there could be any major difference.Additional flash function is no meaning to me.Even movie which is good part of canon is in lesser resolution in sx10.Plese help me

11:18 pm - Tuesday, October 7, 2008

#13 Ron Ferguson

I can't find anywhere about the macro. The S3/S5 used supermacro allowing fantastic images close up. Do the SX ones not have this same capacity?

2:32 pm - Saturday, October 11, 2008

#14 Mike Paterson

Guys,
If your not getting the appropriate feedback here, my recommendation to you is to either leave a post in the Forum in PhotographyBLOG or to go to DPReview's Canon Talk section.
A direct link is here:-

Mike

4:09 pm - Saturday, October 11, 2008

#15 a

I am using a canon powershot TX1. It is a fantastic hybrid camera, handling issues aside. Basically I bought this considering the 1280x720p HD video feature, the 10x optical zoom capability, ultra compact size etc. I would like to buy the SX1 considering the high end features but the cost seems to be very high.

5:36 pm - Sunday, October 12, 2008

#16 Roland Marti

Per Canon USA the SX1IS will not be made available in the US until further notice. Certainly not until 2009.

1:03 am - Saturday, October 18, 2008

#17 Brian

I'm trying to find what the SMALLEST apperture setting is - I was told it f8 - can that be true? I was hoping for at least f22. At the long end to the zoom an f range of f5.7-f8 does not leave a lot of room for manouvere.

12:47 pm - Wednesday, October 22, 2008

#18 Chloe Hobbes

I would like to know if the CMOS sensor gives better STILL photos, not just better videos.

6:19 pm - Tuesday, November 4, 2008

#19 cocoy

hey...im' abput to buy this...is it ok...u see i dont have that much knowldge when it come in spec of digital camera...uhmmm...can u give me both positive and negative feedbck...ty...

1:02 pm - Thursday, November 13, 2008

#20 ken

hi
i am considering buying a sony h50.would the sx10 be a better buy. i am a happy snapper.

6:41 pm - Thursday, November 20, 2008

#21 cocoy

which is better...sony h50 or canon sx10 ???...

2:07 am - Sunday, November 23, 2008

#22 a

I currently have the TX1 and planning to upgrade to the SX1. The TX1 is a great hybrid recording video at 1280x720p and takes still images at 7mp. It is a great camera but no manual controls as well as limited scene modes. But the SX1 seems to have a high price.

9:50 am - Sunday, November 23, 2008

#23 AC

Also - SX10-IS is 1.4 fps continuous, and the SX1 IS is 4fps continuous. Since I can't get the SX1 in the US, and am unwilling to fly to Europe to but the decent version of this camera, I think I'll pass.

5:20 pm - Tuesday, December 2, 2008

#24 Cesar Cua

The canon SX10 IS is an all in one type of camera, I really like the appearance compare to its Olympus counter part SP570-UZ. We are expecting more from you CANON.

The only problem in buying camera here in the philippines is the price, SX10 IS is almost P30,000 here in U.S. the price equivalent is only P19,000 below.

1:08 am - Wednesday, December 3, 2008

#25 navid

my question is about the memory, what is the maximum capacity of memory card that can be used in sx1? wt about sx10?
and how long is the recording time for movies in both of them?

11:25 am - Saturday, December 6, 2008

#26 Brian

Both the SX1 and Sx10 support SDHD - so will support 32Gb cards now available (and soon the 64Gb cards I believe)

recording times quoted on a 2Gb card are
SX1: 1920x1080: 30fps (6min)

SX10 and SX1: 640x480: 30fps, 22min
320x240: 30fps, 1hr 4min

With larger cards I believe there is a 4Gb size limit for a single file, but have been unable to confirm this.

1:38 pm - Monday, December 8, 2008

#27 ichi

The problem with HD recordings is that the SDHC cards use the FAT32 filesystem which has a maximum file size limit of 4GB, so that is the largest size file you can record.

12:58 am - Friday, January 2, 2009

#28 Diane

How does the warranty work if you buy this camera outside the U.S.? Can you get it repaired in the U.S.?

7:58 am - Tuesday, January 27, 2009

#29 Canon Powershot SX10 IS

I would be worried about getting caught and paying tax if I were you... Well, unless you throw away the box & plastics.
I wouldn't keep the receipt on you either - the secret is to post it back to yourself in the UK :)

Concerning the warranty, I'm guessing it will be OK but having to go all the way to the US just to get it repaired? Really?

3:46 am - Wednesday, January 28, 2009

#30 LimTH

what is the lowest f# that the SX1/SX10 can produce? am trying to get some nice bokeh effects on portrait shots. also, what is the difference between SX1 and SX10 in terms of still picture quality?

8:11 am - Wednesday, January 28, 2009

#31 Brian

The widest aperture (which you need for good bokeh effects) is f2.8, this is only available at the low end of the zoom - it deminishes to f5.6 at the long end - quite good for a 500mm (equivelent focal length).

What concerns me more is that the minimum (smallest) aperture seems to be f8 which is poor - I was hoping for f22 at least. Can anyone confirm the smallest aperture (highest f number)?

I asked this ages ago but there has been no reply

1:12 pm - Thursday, January 29, 2009

#32 Martin

f/8 sounds right (my S2 IS minimum is f/8).

I doubt you will find any point-and-shoot with f/22. Even the semi-pro G10 min is f/11.

f/8 gives a wide enough DOF for landscapes for my liking.

As far as for "bokeh" my S2 IS can hold at f/2.7 or f/3.5 for up to about 150mm equiv zoom so it works well for me.

11:40 pm - Thursday, January 29, 2009

#33 Gerard

Where can I purchase 32gb memory for the Canon PowerShot SX1 IS?

9:32 am - Saturday, February 14, 2009

#34 Brian

32Gb SDHC card - try Emay - lots there.

Personally I'd prefer two (or four)smaller cards. That way if a single card fails you don't loose anything

10:15 am - Monday, February 16, 2009

#35 Brian

That should of course have been "EBay"

10:16 am - Monday, February 16, 2009

#36 Brian

lensmate filter adapter is now available for the SX1/SX10 to allow standard 58mm filters to be used.

10:19 am - Monday, February 16, 2009

#37 Canon SX1

Canon
Canon SX1

5:32 pm - Thursday, March 19, 2009

#38 Bill

I'm considering purchasing a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS. If I do, I probably also will purchase one of the filter adapters shown at http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html.

I have an Olympus B-300 tele-extender lens that screws onto the front of the camera's lens, using the filter threads, and almost doubles the power of the lens without losing any light. It has a 55mm thread and weighs 10.2 ounces.

I realize I would have to use a step down ring from the 58 mm size of your adapter.

My main question is, would anyone know whether the tele-extender's weight would damage the camera? I've seen one note on a forum suggesting that adding any weight could cause problems.

Thanks,
Bill

9:23 pm - Thursday, March 19, 2009

#39 AaronLam

I'm using SD HC 8GB (class 2) to shot indoor HD movie. I noticed disturbing noise and a lot of vertical + horizontal sharp lines trughout the captured HD video; may i know if all these artifacts could be less visible if i were to use an SD HC (class 6) instead of class 2?

Thanks,
Aaron.

2:45 pm - Tuesday, May 19, 2009

#40 Brian Pierce

I have been using the lensmate adapter now for a while and have had no issues, but i've only used it with filters - it works well with cokin a cokin filter holder and filters with no problems - I don't think I would be very happy to hang 10oz from it though, that sort of additional weight could well cause damage.

As for the issues with the noise on HD recordings then the class2 card could well be the culprit - the data simply cannot be written to the card fast enough - only one way to tell for sure though - borrow a class 6 card for someone and try it.

10:18 am - Wednesday, May 20, 2009

#41 Brian Pierce

Just in case anyone is not aware - there is a firmware upgrade availabe for the SX1 IS from the canon web site - the main feature is that it adds the ability to capture images in RAW format.

10:20 am - Wednesday, May 20, 2009

#42 Paul Harding

I've purchased the canon powershot sx1 and seems pretty good, however I'm experiancing a number of problems which I've not seen anyone discuss.
When i power up the camera for the first time (1 sec) I can't zoom, goto menu settings or change view from LCD screen to view finder. Just wondered if anyone else experianced a similar issue (I also have the latest update)

Any help be greatly appreciated

9:34 pm - Wednesday, May 20, 2009

#43 George

I have purchased SX10 IS . I after using it for one hour i have faced a major issue with LCD and viewfinder . All the preview's are coming in negative. But there is no problem with the images even though the preview is in negative.

5:57 pm - Monday, June 22, 2009

#44 fatcutproductions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhze5Lv-SgY check out my first hd video with the sx1...!

10:36 am - Wednesday, July 15, 2009

#45 Pitam

Can we get any Teleconverter which is compatable with Canon SX10? Please reply fast...

1:48 pm - Friday, November 27, 2009

#46 Raheem

My problem is rather silly actually

I've just bought an SX1 after months saving as a upgrade to my SX 120 and the crisis I'm facing is that you can't stamp a date and time on the picture. how bizarre ?
I know you can choose either date or time or both on the picture or not in all IXUS and some lower end Power Shots but why not on this one ?
I've already contacted Canon's customer support and still waiting for the reply
Anyone with any knowledge of this issue will be deeply appreciated
I really like this camera and don't wanna take a step down to SX120 just because of this stupid problem. why the hell Canon do things like that ?

9:15 pm - Wednesday, December 23, 2009

#47 Martin Visser

Why would you want the date and time to stamped on the picture by the camera? All digital cameras record the date and time (and many other parameters and settings) in the header of the JPEG file. There are a lots of photo applications that can stamp this information on the photo if you need it. (If the camera places an image of the date and time on the photo you can never remove it).

1:36 pm - Saturday, December 26, 2009

#48 Mark Evans

Does anyone know how to replace the LCD screen on the back?

11:36 pm - Tuesday, December 29, 2009

#49 reza floyd

I have recently upgraded from S2-IS to SX-10.
Use of this new camera is far simpler and better than S2-IS with much more capability.
But I think the image quality of the S2-IS camera is better than SX10.
I shot many photos in same condition with both cameras(indoor and out door). When I compare the photos, I found the old camera’s photos are better than the new ones, They are livelier.
Do you have the same experience?
Any suggestion?

8:20 am - Wednesday, April 14, 2010

#50 burntofferings

Hi, I thought this might be helpful to those deciding whether to buy the Canon SX1 or the Panasonic Lumix FZ38.
I couldn't decide, so bought both. I have to admit that the FZ38 out performs the Canon in image quality. And I prefer the HD quality too. The FZ38 give more control over image compression, with adjustments over contrast, Sharpness, Saturation and Noise. I have these set at 0, +1, +2, -2 .
I so wanted the Canon to be my choice, but was left a little disappointed. Anyway, I made this video for those wanting comparisons. They were held side by side and both using HD video. See side by side iage comparisons at http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/burntofferingsabove/Canon SX1 v Lumix FZ38/?albumview=slideshow

11:36 pm - Monday, May 17, 2010

#51 Colleen

Can anyone help me with the following? I reset the date on my SX10IS last night and now cannot find the previous pictures. Thanks

1:45 am - Friday, April 6, 2012

#52 quickduie

carry the following brands: Raritan, ServerLink, Avocent Adder KVM switches, USB products, computer network cables, computer accessories, digital signage, AV products and cables,

www.dueltek.com.au

11:22 am - Wednesday, May 29, 2013

#53 quickduie

Your Clipsal 2000 Sequence is actually Australia's best selling wall structure plate. Manufactured in high gloss, impression resilient material, the surrounds usually are video on and can always be very easily removed allow painting as well as papering appropriate around the border. This kind of tends to make putting in as well as designing very easy, seeing that you don't have to hassle above the perimeters.

Dueltek can easily personalized layout any sort of wall structure plate to match your installing specifications. Using a massive choice of connection types available for virtually any construction as well as bedroom at home, office as well as classes.

Regarding further printing to be able to encourage do enterprise from a consumers, why don't you possess your company emblem branded as well as etched about the encounter of your respective wall structure plate. This can be additionally a fantastic tiny advertising campaign with regard to potential business to get hold of people immediately.

12:11 pm - Tuesday, June 4, 2013

#54 digital

HDMI, DisplayPort and DVI are all digital standards used for High Definition video signals. DVI & DisplayPort (V1) solely carry the video-image signal however no audio, where as HDMI covers every. Thus if you use a DVI or DisplayPort (V1) cable, you may want to attach audio cables from your DVD-player, CPU, games console or cable/satellite receiver to your TV.

12:27 pm - Thursday, July 4, 2013

#55 sonnjita

Condor MP952EP PCIE 1 slot parallel OXFORD - GB4
Shuttle Type: PCI Show
Chipset NO .: Oxford oxpcie952
Volume of Plug-ins: 1
Fittings: DB25 Parallel
Exchange Pace: 1. 5 Mbps
Measurements (mm): 60(W) x 80(L)
Surroundings Managing Temperature: -10C for you to 80C
Hard drive Temperature: -20C for you to 100C

For more detail : http://www.dueltek.com.au

2:55 am - Saturday, October 12, 2013

#56 sonnjita

This Raritan Switchman SW2 is usually a desktop computer KVM (Keyboard, Online video media & Mouse) move which allows entry to 2 computers from your solitary gaming system (Keyboard, Sensitive mouse in addition to Monitor).

4:42 pm - Wednesday, March 5, 2014