Canon Pulls Out of Focus 2011

February 21, 2011 | Mark Goldstein | Focus On Imaging | 12 Comments |

Canon have pulled out of the Focus on Imaging show with less than two weeks to go. A Canon UK spokesperson confirmed this morning that the company will not be exhibiting at the UK photography show due to a reassessment of its European marketing plans for 2011. They did confirm that retailers at the show will still have stock of Canon’s products for interested buyers to try out and purchase. Canon usually have the largest stand at Focus, so it will be interesting to see who takes their place. Photography Blog will be there as usual with a show report.

#1 Paul Parkinson

The question now, as a Canon shooter, is "is there any point in going?". I *think* the answer is yes but as I wanted to *properly* look at some of their big lenses it's now a question I need to address.

I doubt for one minute that some of the store stands will let me try out a 500mm or 600mm lens on spec.

It's a pretty poor show by Canon nonetheless. Shame.

2:05 pm - Monday, February 21, 2011

#2 Wedding Photographer Dundee

Really strange only giving 2 weeks notice. They had a really good stand last year as well.

Real shame Canon.

5:36 pm - Monday, February 21, 2011

#3 Kris

Interesting news, as someone considering switching to Canon I was looking forward to testing some of the kit at Focus and they normally have some good seminars on :/

5:58 pm - Monday, February 21, 2011

#4 Ian

Someone at Focus has upset Canon I guess?

8:01 pm - Monday, February 21, 2011

#5 Christopher Harland

This is a decision that will not have been taken lightly. I am not sure where they stand legally but I expect they will have done their homework. Usually exhibitors have to pay quite a hefty deposit when first confirming their reservation of space and this is not normally refundable if the booking is cancelled. Added to that, quite a lot of work will have been done in preparation so far and that will have to paid for. Not a cheap decision. Who knows what the real reasons are???

2:27 pm - Tuesday, February 22, 2011

#6 Howard

Disappointed twice already and there's still two weeks to go before FOCUS. I was hoping to get some 'hands on' Zeiss lenses but they are not on the exhibitor list and now CANON have pulled out. Is it still worth the 200 mile round trip!

2:44 pm - Tuesday, February 22, 2011

#7 Harvey

It makes no difference Nikon is still the best.

7:08 pm - Tuesday, February 22, 2011

#8 rob

Harvey, that's a pretty ignorant statement, don't you think?...

1:16 am - Wednesday, February 23, 2011

#9 wayne hough

It just shows you what Canon think of us photographers in the uk,there main rivals Nikon would never do this to the photographers of the uk.Canon are good with there lens and camras but their PR is poor and this just shows you how they deal with their customers.To pull out two weeks before is a discrace.Ps I am a canon user myself and i feel let down by canon

10:18 am - Wednesday, February 23, 2011

#10 John

Canon's stand at the show is now occupied by Panasonic.
According to Canon's UK website they are still appearing, just shows how much they really care about the UK.
Canon's mantra on it's website is that it is a World Leader, I somehow Don't think so.
I am a Canon user, and a bitterly disappointed one.

1:59 pm - Wednesday, February 23, 2011

#11 Gerry Reilly

Harvey, that's a pretty ignorant statement, don't you think?...

Slow down rob that's just one man's opinion; just because you don't agree don't make it an 'ignorant' statement.

7:34 pm - Thursday, February 24, 2011

#12 Paul Parkinson

The above post certainly reads like an internal briefing document for Canonistas. What it doesn't address is how to placate the hundreds, if not thousands, of people coming to the show who want to meet, talk to and ask technical questions of people FROM Canon who KNOW about their gear.

Its all very well farming this work out to the various vendors but if I want to ask about the big lens I am looking to buy the people at those stands will NOT have the knowledge, the time or the expertise to answer those questions.

Which company, in their right mind, is going to de-box a 600m lens so I can pick it up, test the balance, fire half a dozen test shots (with my camera body please) and then have me say thanks, I'll see you later? None.

Canon are doing themselves NO FAVOURS at all with this short sighted display of beancounteritis.

If the accountants take over at Canon they will go the same way as Sony. I believe Canon took over from Sony as a great innovating company. Now it would seem they are getting Sony'd themselves.

Bean counters take over in marketing and BOOM, end of innovation.

4:44 pm - Friday, February 25, 2011