Canon Spring Launch 2007

February 23, 2007 | Mark Goldstein | Digital SLR Cameras | 35 Comments |

Canon Spring Launch 2007I attended the Canon Spring Launch press event at The Bridge, SE1 in central London earlier today and tried out the new EOS-1D Mark III DSLR camera, plus the 16-35mm lens, 580 EX II flashgun, Powershot and IXUS cameras, and PIXMA printers. Hearing the EOS-1D Mark III rattling away at 10 frames per second for over 10 seconds was quite something! This new DSLR is 16% lighter than its predecessor, has a self-cleaning sensor based on the EOS 400D, and uses a 3rd generation CMOS sensor and two DIGIC III processors. Apparently the shutter is 50% more durable than the previous model - Canon have tested it to no less than 300,000 cycles. And the camera’s 19 auto-focus sensors and 26 focus assist points offer a 1 stop improvement in low-light. Canon demoed a EOS-1D Mark III saving files to a compact flash card, SD card and external hard drive all at the same time! Price will be £3049.99 in the UK and $3999 US. Click on the link below to see exclusive shots of all the new products that have been announced today (well, not quite all of them, I didn’t spend too much time with the new fax machines). Leave a comment if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them…

Canon Spring Launch

Canon A460

Canon iP90v

Canon iP2500

Canon iP1800

Canon Spring Launch

#1 Larry Wolff

Nice article and pictures. The EOS ID Mark III looks amazing and is a future dream but way over my head for now. I am new to digital and just got a Rebel Xti. Looking for advice (chat rooms, etc) to discuss lenses. I shoot mainly soccer (10% night games) and own the 70-300 4-5.6 image stabelizing. It does a great job except at night but I want to move up to an "L" series. I need advice before investing. Any suggestions???

6:24 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#2 twin

Mark,

There's no list of EOS kits that were launched as part of the EOS 20th Anniversary.

Can you provide it (maybe with prices)?

6:25 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#3 Stewart Bywater

Nice review Mark. I can't wait for the new 1ds to come out... Must be that 22mp camera people have been going on about for ages.

I'd recommend that you try the EF 28-135 IS USM. It's great in low light. I'm not sure whether 135 would be long enough to cover the football pitch though, although on an xti (400d) it should be about right.

6:32 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#4 Mark Goldstein

I have a list of the EOS kits, but no prices I'm afraid.

As there are 21 in total, I'll scan the document and make it available as a PDF.

6:33 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#5 Mark Goldstein

Here's the PDF of EOS Kits that I promised (1Mb PDF).

6:59 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#6 Scott

I thought it has two 3rd generation Digic processors, not CMOS sensors.

Also, how was the live display?

Either way, I'm sure the professional sports photographers out there are getting out their piggy banks...

7:33 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#7 Mark Goldstein

It's been a long day... yes, I meant a single CMOS sensor and 2 Digic III processors.

7:38 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#8 Joe

I'm only interested in the model to replace the 30d, is there a chance it could also be released shortly... or is that it for Q1?

7:49 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#9 shadow

Will that be all of Canon's announcements? I'm looking out for upgrades to the A710 IS and the S3 IS.

7:56 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#10 Mark Goldstein

Yes, Canon confirmed that these will be all the new products announced in the run-up to and during PMA, which starts on March 8th.

So all those rumours of the 40D and 1Ds Mark III cameras that you might have seen will continue to circulate for a while yet!

8:10 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#11 pierre

Hopefully the announcements from nikon and olympus are as exciting...I value olympus the most because they ate the true innovators...sensor cleaning and live view were seen first on olympus.

9:11 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#12 Angel

the new mk III with new 16-35 2.8 LII .its a brutality combination.

11:36 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#13 Samir

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I could have gone.

1:10 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#14 Mick O

The press release for the MkIII sez the 1DS Mk III will be priced similarly to its predecessor.. but its predecessor the Mk II is more like $8K USD. Are you sure its going to be half that??

2:45 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#15 Mick O

ohhh this is not a successor to he full-frame Ds .. never mind .. sorry for my confusion

2:50 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#16 Bill

In the last picture in the sequence, what are the small boxes on the table that the Canon rep is arranging?

4:03 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#17 Avi Flax

I'm disappointed that the TX1 doesn't appear to have been there - that may mean that it could be more than a month or two before it hits the market. I want it now!

Any chance the TX1 was there, but you just didn't have a chance to play with it?

6:44 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#18 Zoltan

Isn't the TX1 US only? That would explain it why they didn't show one at a UK press conference.

10:29 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#19 Mark Goldstein

Bill, those small boxes were just the individual lenses that Canon UK were displaying (existing lenses that are being included in the kits, not new ones!).

Yes, the TX1 is US only I'm afraid. It wasn't even mentioned in the press conference, and Canon UK had no idea what it was when I asked them about availability in the UK.

10:43 am - Friday, February 23, 2007

#20 Jorge

What are the differences, if they are known, of the new mk III with new 16-35 2.8 LII and with the previous 16-35 2.8? The question came if it is worth to buy this new lens.

3:07 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#21 David

How do Canon justify a price of $4000 versus £3050? $4000 equates to about £2045. With the extra £1000 one could fly to the US and shop in person! I suspect that those in the market for a body and some kit (lenses, etc.) will do just that.

The items are not designed or made in the US, so what's up with this?

3:36 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#22 Avi Flax

Zoltan, ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Mark, that is kinda strange, isn't it? Why would the TX1 not be available in the UK? Do you think it's really just a matter of timing - maybe they need to ramp up manufacturing?

4:15 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#23 Jorge

I see the new EOS-1D Mark III purely a Canon "cash" issue, because the new MIII should replace the D1s and not the D1n. It looks like that next year there will be the MIII D1s with the new 2 Digic III processors.

5:05 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#24 Mark Goldstein

Avi, the TX1 was not presented at yesterday's conference, was not on the press kit, and no-one from Canon UK or Europe that I spoke to knew anything about it.

I'll try and find out some more details behind the decision.

5:24 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#25 Mark Goldstein

Jorge, here's what Canon say about the new 16-35mm lens:

"Canon’s engineers have completely redesigned the optics on the EF 16 35mm f/2.8L II USM to deliver higher contrast levels and improved resolving power. To ensure corner-to-corner sharpness and contrast throughout the focal range, the lens includes three types of aspherical lens elements (ground, replicated and glass moulded). Two UD lens elements virtually eliminate chromatic aberration, while Super Spectra lens coatings suppress flare and ghosting.

Rapid auto focus is driven by a virtually silent Ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) incorporating Canon’s latest auto focus algorithms. Full-time mechanical manual focus override is also provided. As with all L-series lenses, the EF 16 35mm f/2.8L II USM is weather sealed to protect against dust and moisture.

A new 82mm Protect filter for the EF 16 35mm f/2.8L II USM has been released to coincide with today’s launch."

I was also told that it's smaller and lighter than the old version.

5:26 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#26 Todd Reichman

Will the Eos 20th anniversary lens kits be available in the US? I'm very interested in the Wide angle lens kit.

Thanks

TRR

9:49 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#27 norman cozens

I wish to know whether Canon will be at Focus On Imaging 2007 at the NEC?

9:59 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#28 Jeff Mires

Did I misunderstand or do you think the 1Ds will have the same size sensor as the Mk III

10:02 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#29 Jorge

I do not think that the next 1Ds will have the same MkIII sensor because for Canon, this is my view, is better to have to gamma of top cameras, one for sport and the rest instead of combining both. I personally I will wait, another 18 month?, for maybe the next MkIII Ds full frame. Meanwhile I will continue with my “old" EOS 1v.

10:59 pm - Friday, February 23, 2007

#30 Mark Goldstein

Norman, I don't think Canon will be at Focus.

Here's a link to the website - there's a PDF of all the exhibitors:

1:22 pm - Saturday, February 24, 2007

#31 Mark Goldstein

Todd, as far as I know, the kits will only be available in the UK, but I'm going to double-check this with Canon UK.

1:23 pm - Saturday, February 24, 2007

#32 Mark Goldstein

Here's a link to the official EOS-1D Mark III white paper.

1:48 pm - Saturday, February 24, 2007

#33 Todd Reichman

Thanks for checking into that, Mark.

-TRR

6:53 pm - Saturday, February 24, 2007

#34 Mark Goldstein

Hi everyone.

Canon UK have confirmed that the EOS kit prices will be announced shortly, all kits are pan-European only, and the Powershot TX1 is a US-only model.

12:44 pm - Monday, February 26, 2007

#35 Mark Goldstein

The full range of promotional / special offer kits is listed below, The Canon D-SLR kits will be available from 1st March 2007.

Photo Kits
13 new Photo Kits
• EOS 400D x 2
• EOS 30D x 6
• EOS 5D x 5
In addition to this there are seven existing photo kits (listed below)

EOS 400D:

EOS 5D Standard Zoom Kit - £2,999.99
• EF 24-70 IS U Lens

Existing Kits
• EF 24-105mm Kit
• Body Only Kit

Lens Kits
There are eight new lens kits as follows:
• EF 16-35mm 2.8L II + EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS U