Compact Flash Card Reader for iPad & iPad 2

March 25, 2011 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Accessories | 8 Comments |

Thanks to one of our readers, we have just learned of what must be the first Compact Flash memory card reader for the Apple iPad 2. Available in the M.I.C. Store for $29.90, this is a 2-in-1 device that is backwards compatible with the original Apple iPad. According to M.I.C. Gadget, this memory card reader supports both UDMA and non-UDMA cards and is capable of achieving transfer speeds of up to 133MB/s.

Thanks to our reader Chris Chang for tipping us on the news.

#1 Joe P

So how is it that this will work but a APPLE Camera connection Kit USB to CF Reader, will not work since Apple REDUCED the power to the port in a recent "UPGRADE" ????

10:27 pm - Friday, March 25, 2011

#2 Catherine N

Some existing CF card readers and cameras do work with the Apple camera connection kit because they don't need more power than even the newly crippled port provides. Case in point, I have no trouble using either my cheapo Transcend brand USB multi-card reader or the USB cable straight from my Nikon D300 with the camera connection kit's USB connector and my new iPad2. This product is a little more compact and elegant though.

6:37 pm - Monday, May 2, 2011

#3 Simon Jacobs

There is a full review of the card reader here:

It is very accurate. I have bought one and find it to be 'flaky' at best. It constantly errors giving a "corrupt card' dialog when there is nothing wrong with the card. It happens with different makes and sizes of card. All in all, it's pretty unreliable. Lets hope that a more reputable manufacturer like comes up with one soon.The connection is also very flimsy and does not inspire any confidence. I was hoping this would be a really useful product, but it is pretty much unusable.

11:28 am - Sunday, May 15, 2011

#4 Steve Moorey F.E.P.

I have just purchased one of thes card readers from the MIC store for use with my iPad2 and Canon 5D Mk11

It imports both Jpegs and RAW files OK but it wont import HD 1080p videos and no exif data is imported either.

I am still looking for a CF reader to use while I am on holiday so that I do not have to lug around a laptop.

12:43 pm - Tuesday, June 14, 2011

#5 Ken

I'm trying to download jpeg photos I have edited in photoshop to my I Pad2,but the SD card reader I got from apple doesn't
Recognize them. It will see them if they came right out of the camera,but the minute I edit them ..... No go.
Anybody have any help for me? Ken

5:53 am - Monday, August 15, 2011

#6 Simon Jacobs

Ken, what's that got to do with this product?

9:54 am - Monday, August 15, 2011

#7 Rob

With my Canon 50D I can either send pictures to iPad via USB or carry multiple CF cards so that I don't NEED to download pictures to re-use the cards.

4:58 pm - Wednesday, August 31, 2011

#8 Dale Danell

Does not work on my iPad2.
Other than that, the purchase went well......

8:38 pm - Wednesday, December 12, 2012