Fujifilm X100 Hands-On Photos

September 21, 2010 | Mark Goldstein | Digital | 29 Comments |

Want to see exactly what the new Fujifilm X100 rangefinder-like digital camera looks like?

Then check out our exclusive hands-on photo gallery of the prototype X100 ahead of its debut at tomorrow’s Photokina opening day.

Update: We’ve added some more photos of the X100 from the Fujifilm stand - plus the X100 price has been announced - £900, $999, 999 Euros…

A gallery of photos of the Fujifilm X100.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Del-Uks

Could you guys get a decent camera ? Those pictures look awful !

9:50 pm - Monday, September 20, 2010

#2 mkekakis

Thank you Mark for the photos!
You are our eyes and ears in Photokina!

...? look forward to see some samples ;)

10:24 pm - Monday, September 20, 2010

#3 Derek

Wow! can't wait till the review comes along I suspect it may be some time.
Looks to be a winner. How will the IQ stand up
Fiji are teasing us waiting till 2011.

10:28 pm - Monday, September 20, 2010

#4 Hans

@Del-Uks They're fine, taken at a trade show! At least he got to show us real-life pics.

10:49 pm - Monday, September 20, 2010

#5 Del-Uks

@Hans ...and I'm thankful for that. No offence here, but I'm pretty sure an iPhone 4 would do better pics in this situation.

Anyway, this Fujifilm X100 looks promising !

1:06 am - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#6 MiTaka

Nice pics, but one can see that this is the Fuji VF-01, not the X100 ;)

5:49 am - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#7 Wengo Lee

Why is the camera having a 35mm lens instead of a 23mm as originally advertised?

6:46 am - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#8 Andreas

it's a 23mm, but it turns into a 35mm since the sensor is not fullframe

7:10 am - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#9 Mladen RADMAN

That thing from FUJI looks amazing. If it matches Leica X1 image performance it beats it hands down.

Hopefully there will be more developments in this direction and we see eventually camera with hybrid/electronic viewfinder and interchengable optics.

8:36 am - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#10 Mitaka

And while we are on the topic, look at the lens it's clearly written f=35mm, not 23mm ?!?
This is the other prototype. You can see the differences with the one BJP saw - bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1734219/preview-fujifilm-finepix-x100-unveiled-photokina

9:00 am - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#11 Montevale

I thought this was supposed to be rangefinder...
if this is some kind of autofocus gobeldeygook it would be such a disappointment.
Can they make it both manual and autofocus option for the uninitiated?

10:04 pm - Tuesday, September 21, 2010

#12 Hans Benndorf

It's a nice looking unit to me. 35mm focal length only is a bit
limiting though. With an interchangeable lens system this cam
would be a hot item on the market, I believe.
Product photography very poor - again!

12:26 am - Wednesday, September 22, 2010

#13 KevG

Why complain about the product photos? They were obviously taken under less than perfect conditions, but they show the camera very adequately in my view. There seems to be two different versions of the camera - different lens and different viewfinder. I hope the viewfinder(s) are better than the optical VF on my G9! That shows only about 85% of the view, with no exposure or other info shown. £900 is a bit steep though, and it will be interesting to see whether it stays at that level when it comes onto the market.

8:45 am - Wednesday, September 22, 2010

#14 Don Pope

There seem to be two prototypes. One with a 23mm lens and another with a 35mm lens.

I'm glad they settled on 23mm for this camera. I would not buy it with a 35.

12:52 am - Thursday, September 23, 2010

#15 David

*shakes head in disbelief at some other comments* if a Beautiful Leica Rangefinder styled campact body consisting of built in 100% viewfinder and (non pop up) flash ...housing a 12mp APS-C sensor, fixed 35mm equiv prime lens producing images in Fuji Colour is not something you feel excited about then I don't really know what to say without insulting or offending you.

7:43 pm - Wednesday, October 13, 2010

#16 Nathan trade show displays

Wow! Amazing collection of shows!I can't wait........purchase..

12:51 pm - Thursday, October 28, 2010

#17 Hans G. B.

This camera reminds me of the early Nikon, Contax and the ever popular Leica.
Yes I'm interested in this new rangefinder yet its got to have a crisp lens and that remains to be seen.
The fact that it can't exchange the lens may be its downfall though.
...am awaiting further specs and hoping for a reasonable price

8:27 pm - Saturday, October 30, 2010

#18 heiko

Let's hope they get to realise some key defects with this pre-production design and find time to remedy these points:

+ make the traditional AE-L lever a true AE-L lever again, do away with that wimpy [AE-L;AF-L] pushbotton. The old design was invented to be used by feel as well as knowledge.

Pushbuttons are for playing around _after_shooting_; dials and levers for taking pictures. If you begin to mix up these distinctive concepts you will RUIN this device before it hits the shops! Switching the viewfinder mode with that lever just doesn't make sense to me, at all - since I don't have to have to feel what I am about to notice within a blink of an eye and see - right in front of me (whether the EVF-mode is active or not). AEL on the other hand needs either to be displayed (and therefore takes away major real-estate in the interface/finder) or otherwise noticed to the user as not to confuse the metering which is crucial for using this device in difficult light.

+ make that thing that looks like a horizontally oriented black thumb-wheel a real thumb-wheel with positive clicks rather than what I think I perceive it is now: a wobbly click-about 2-directional joystick as some zoom-levers on cheap compacts.

+ Make the polished metal top in at least one more subtle, galvanised/toned-down version as to make the camera _not_stand_out and thus more useful for candid street shots, if you're willing to sell one to me.

And on a personal note: Please keep this baby within reasonable pricing as to make me lust after it instead of just getting some 21mm exchangeable lens for my already purchased cropped-frame dslr.

Cheers
an interested potential "consumer"

1:30 pm - Wednesday, December 1, 2010

#19 Tony Hart

Poster #18 speaks bags of sense, especially with regards the rear horizontal wheel. Still, even if they do bungle this, it's got the makings of a really good camera. Get all these little things right and we have a classic on our hands. As for the lens, I don't need interchangeable lenses, just make the FL 35mm on 35mm equivalent and make the lens nice and sharp.

11:29 am - Monday, December 13, 2010

#20 Gianni Maselli

My biggest concern is about that hybrid opti-electronic viewfinder wich is only 0.50x ...

10:08 pm - Monday, December 13, 2010

#21 Don Pope

The viewfinder has to be less than 1.0x because the lens is wide, but I must admit that .50x does seem a bit too wide. At that magnification I would expect 100% coverage in the OVF instead of just 90%.

12:51 am - Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#22 Josef Salon

Is the lens stabilized?

2:37 pm - Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#23 Gianni Maselli

It seems it's not but to me it is less than a problem as long as the high iso noise is well structured and looks like the good, old film grain.
I mean compact, regular and fundamentally monochromatic.

9:02 pm - Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#24 jakob

looks like the first 10 pictures are the vfo1 with a 35mm lens and the latter the x100 with a 23mm lens

2:48 am - Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#25 Dave Richards

Show Marc some respect and spell his first name correctly please! I'm keenly looking forward to the release of this beauty. It may well be my new travel camera.

1:10 am - Sunday, December 19, 2010

#26 Hans G. B.

Forgive my ignorance, but the article has been written by Mark Goldstein(so it appears on my screen) -so why should someone(Dave Richards) spell his name Marc, different and then ask to show respect.
Is there some Black or Red Label involved here?

2:26 am - Sunday, December 19, 2010

#27 Dave Richards

I know a photographer by the name of Marc Goldstein who lives in LA and is a huge Fuji fan. I was guessing that perhaps it was him who wrote this article. Thinking about it though, I am probably wrong. My mistake, and my apologies.

3:18 am - Sunday, December 19, 2010

#28 Hans G. B.

@Dave Richards- apology accepted- Happy Holidays.

12:59 pm - Sunday, December 19, 2010

#29 Napoleon

#18, #12 (1812!)you guys need to up your medication.
As is #18 and #12 take Gold and Silver as top two Wankers.
So much criticism, so little knowledge...makes the World go round. Check your rear-ends recently? It's right under your noses!

11:12 pm - Wednesday, December 29, 2010