The Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd is the world’s smallest 12x optical zoom digital camera. The 10 megapixel Fujifilm S1000fd features a 33-396mm lens, 2.7 inch LCD screen, new Panoramic Shooting Mode, Face Detection and ISO 1600 at full resolution. The Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd will be available from UK retailers in March 2008, pricing will be announced nearer to the date of the launch.
Fujifilm UK Press Release
Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd: The world’s smallest* 12x optical zoom digital camera
Announcement Date: 24 January 2008
DSLR-style compact extends range and feature set with longer zoom, larger LCD and new Panorama Shooting Mode
Fujifilm UK today announced the introduction of the FinePix S1000fd, a compact and lightweight digital camera with an impressive 12x optical zoom lens.
Perfect for advanced amateur photographers the 10 Megapixel FinePix S1000fd features a versatile Fujinon 12x optical zoom (33mm-396mm equivalent), Face Detection Technology with automatic red-eye removal, ISO levels of up to ISO 1600 at full resolution and ISO 3200 at 3 Megapixel resolution, and a brand new Panoramic Shooting Mode.
Panorama Shooting Mode
For capturing sweeping scenery or large groups of people, the new Panorama Shooting Mode makes it easy to create impressive panoramic photos. Panorama Shooting Mode captures and combines a maximum of three consecutive shots at 3 Megapixel resolution, which are saved to the memory card as a panoramic picture.
Face Detection Technology
Fujifilm’s Face Detection technology was originally developed for the company’s photofinishing division, where it was used for reproducing the fine detail in people’s faces in print. It works in the camera by triangulating eyes and mouth, using an algorithm to optimise focus, white balance and exposure for up to six faces in a single frame. Movement tracking keeps the camera ‘locked on’ to its subjects until they move out of the picture. The technology works irrespective of the subject’s position in the frame, and is not confused by glasses.
Say goodbye to red-eye – for good
Red-eye is the single biggest reason why the best portraits are ruined. The FinePix S1000fd uses Face Detection technology to find and instantly correct any red-eye from every face in the frame as the shot is taken.
The system on the FinePix S1000fd will only correct redness in the pupil of the eye, not elsewhere in the picture, because the camera uses eye detection within face detection to find the pupil. While other cameras can sometimes convert lips or red jewellery to brown or blue, the FinePix S1000fd never gets it wrong.
Fujifilm’s new FinePix S1000fd also offers the following features:
• Picture Stabilisation Mode: Picture Stabilisation uses the increased sensitivity of the FinePix S1000fd and high-speed shutter settings to reduce blur caused by hand-shake or subject movement. It allows the camera to automatically choose the correct light sensitivity and optimal shutter speed to produce clear, blur-free images.
• Full manual photographic control: Photo enthusiasts and advanced photographers have total control with manual adjustment options for various camera settings including resolution, ISO, aperture, shutter speed and more.
• High speed shooting: Capture the action with the High Speed Shooting mode: 7.5 fps @ 2MP for 15 shots; 3.3 fps @ 5MP for 6 shots; and 1.4 fps @ 10MP for 3 shots.
• Movie Mode: VGA quality at 30 frames per second with sound.
• 14 Pre-programmed scene modes: The FinePix S1000fd features 14 pre-programmed scene modes that offer a one-touch setting for almost any situation, including: Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Night, Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Museum, Party, Flower and Text.
• xD/SD/SD-HC compatible slot: The FinePix S1000fd features an xD/SD Compatible slot which accepts not only Fujifilm’s traditional xD-Picture Cards but also Secure Digital (SD) and SD-High Capacity/SD-HC cards too.
• Operates on 4xAA batteries: The ultimate in convenience and accessibility, using AA batteries means in a pinch, more batteries are just moments away.
Real Photo Technology
Driving the FinePix S1000fd is Fujifilm’s unique Real Photo Technology (RPT). The guiding principles behind RPT are simple; to set the highest possible standards for overall image quality, to expand digital photography opportunities and to give users fewer wasted shots.
RPT is an umbrella term for the combination of cutting edge technologies such as Face Detection, Real Photo Processor and Fujinon lens, all optimised to work together to produce the most natural, beautiful results in any conditions. As one of the largest imaging companies worldwide Fujifilm is in a position to develop and to manufacture these components themselves, and it is this control over the design of the entire system that makes RPT so powerful.
Real Photo Technology cameras are designed from the ground up to capture ‘real’ photographs with stunning quality - giving users the power to capture the moment exactly as the eye sees it, no matter how challenging the shooting conditions.
With the human eye as the ideal, RPT continues to evolve and to set even higher standards for digital photography.
“With the introduction of the FinePix S1000fd we are offering enthusiast photographers a uniquely affordable digital camera with an impressive range of features,” said Adrian Clarke, Fujifilm’s Director of Digital Products. “The new 12x zoom lens and new features such as the Panoramic Shooting Mode show Fujifilm’s commitment to offering sophisticated, highly competitive cameras at all price points.”
Availability & pricing
The FinePix S1000fd will be available from UK retailers in March 2008. Pricing and will be announced nearer to the date of the launch.*