Mac users, we're pleased to announce Macphun's all-in-one photo editor Luminar is now available for just $69£52 for new users, or $59£44 for existing Macphun users. Use coupon code "PHOTOBLOG" to save another $10 on Luminar.
We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended". Visit the Luminar web site to try it for free.
Fujifilm have announced the development of the FujiFilm S5 Pro digital SLR, slated for early 2007 introduction. Looking like it’s based on the Nikon D200 body, the FujiFilm S5 Pro features the same Super CCD SR double pixel sensor as the older S3 Pro.
Fujifilm USA Press Release
Valhalla, NY, September 25, 2006 - Confirming the company’s commitment to professional photographers, Fujifilm today announced the development of the much anticipated Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro digital SLR camera. The new Fujifilm S5 Pro is further affirmation of Fujifilm’s goal to achieve professional D-SLR image quality consistent with Fujifilm’s professional film heritage. The Fujifilm S5 Pro carries a number of features that made its predecessor, the FinePix S3 Pro, so popular with wedding, portrait and studio photographers. One is increased dynamic range from the Super CCD SR double pixel technology (6.17 million S-pixels and 6.17 million R-pixels). The new Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro continues this tradition of expanded dynamic range and goes a step further by coupling the new Super CCD SR Pro sensor with Fujifilm’s new RP (Real Photo) Processor Pro for even more outstanding, film-like results. Moreover, the Fujifilm S5 Pro will house the two technologies in a fully digital and durable metal alloy body frame. This opens the door for Fujifilm’s digital imaging technologies to expand into other applications such as outdoor and high endurance commercial photography.
Photokina Update: We now have some product photos live from Photokina 2006 - just click the link below to view them.
Highlight features of the FinePix S5 Pro include:
Image Processing and Quality
* Real Photo Technology Pro, which combines the Super CCD SR Pro sensor and the RP Processor Pro, allows for the wide dynamic range with smoother tonality from brightest light to darkest shadow. The re-designed new Super CCD SR Pro features an optimized low-pass filter that will reduce the noise and minimize moiré. The newly developed RP Processor Pro features two cycles of noise reduction so photographers can snap pictures at light sensitivities as high as ISO 3200 with less noise than comparable cameras at similar ISOs.
Increased Color and Dynamic Range Control
* Photographers can choose from six preset ranges for greater creative control over the FinePix S5 Pro’s expanded dynamic range between 100% and 400%,
* Three new variations of the original film simulation mode have been added (five modes in total) for improved reproduction of natural skin tones.
Face Detection Technology for post image verification
* At the push of a button, the FinePix S5 Pro’s Face Detection Technology detects up to ten faces in a scene immediately after each image is captured. Photographers can zoom in and confirm facial detail, whether eyes are open or closed, focus and exposure on the FinePix S5 Pro’s LCD monitor.
Other camera functions and features
* Nikon F-mount compatibility with all Nikkor AF-D/G and the latest AF-S optics
* RAW+JPEG (4,256 x 2,848 pixels, 3,024 x 2,016 pixels, 2,304 x 1,536 pixels) dual-save mode
* MAC and PC supported tethered shooting mode via USB 2.0 port and optional HyperUtility software
* Robust, lightweight magnesium-alloy body
* Durable shutter unit stands up to approximately 100,000 releases
* Adoption of high-precision i-TTL flash control
* 11-point AF sensor for consistent, fast and precise focusing. This is an improvement from the FinePix S3 Pro’s 5-point AF sensor
* Supports 1/3, ½, and 1 stop lens aperture control
* Shutter speed 30 sec. to 1/8000 sec., maximum flash sync speed of 1/250 sec.
* Remark function enables addition of comments to an image file by connecting a special bar code reader to the camera body.
* 3 levels of custom Function Locking with password protection
* 2.5 inch LCD with 235,000 pixels with 100% frame coverage featuring color or monochromatic 30 seconds, live view function to check the focusing
* Li-ion rechargeable battery
* Compact Flash™ (CF) Card (Type I / II) and Microdrive™ compatible
* LAN Adapter for wireless, high-speed image transfer.
* New Hyper Utility Software for precise editing control of images taken in CCD-RAW
14-bit format. Software also enables PC control of the FinePix S5 Pro.
* Rechargeable Battery
* Battery Charger
* AC Power Adapter