Fujifilm X-S1 Hands-On Photos

December 20, 2011 | Mark Goldstein | Digital Compact Cameras | 27 Comments |

Want to see exactly what the new Fujifilm X-S1 bridge camera looks like in the flesh?

Then check out our extensive hands-on gallery of photos of Fujifilm’s premium super zoom camera.

12 photos of the new Fujifilm X-S1 superzoom camera.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Marky

Mmmmm, HS10 - HS20 - XS1 = (HS30)?

6:15 pm - Tuesday, December 20, 2011

#2 Chris.

Would it be asking too much for a free angle LCD? Research would reveal that it is something most would want in a camera.

4:57 am - Wednesday, December 21, 2011

#3 cynic

@Chris.
"Research would reveal that it is something most would want in a camera." --> oxymoron

8:47 am - Wednesday, December 21, 2011

#4 PHOTOGRAPHER

Yeaaaa... next Year 2012...mega zooom
= 28 - 1200 mm and -- 28 - 2000 mm

1:50 pm - Wednesday, December 21, 2011

#5 pat

Boy, they are really trying to make the lens look removable. As fun as superzooms (i used to buy not but superzooms) this is a huge camera to cart around.

5:22 pm - Wednesday, December 21, 2011

#6 Mad Hungarian

WOW! Awesome looking camera.

1:57 pm - Thursday, December 22, 2011

#7 Michael Mayer

TWO important improvements over the HS10 & HS20.

1)The XS-1 uses the same outstanding 1/1.7 (larger) sensor as the award winning X100

2)The Mechanical Zoom is metal reinforced and zooms much faster & smoother than the HS10 & HS20

5:27 am - Friday, December 23, 2011

#8 satyam

i am keen intrested to try this super zoom camera ...
i am using hs20 an i think its time to move towards more zoom camera like sx-1

12:55 pm - Friday, December 23, 2011

#9 doug sinnott

It looks like the ultimate Bridge Camera!
A bigger EXR sensor,a bigger EVF(at last!),a great zoom lens,why bother with a dslr and a bagful of lenses.
My HS20 is still a great camera,but I think Fuji have certainly listened to to feedback,and addressed certain shortcomings of the HS20,(small sensor and viewfinder)while maintaining the quality of construction,and great Fuji lens,although at a slightly smaller zoom range.
Don't buy one until the price drops a bit though!

4:54 pm - Monday, December 26, 2011

#10 Simon

Just to clarify- the XS-1 has a tilting LCD and it shares the sensor with the X10,not the X100...
And for my money ,I think it looks bug ugly.. the lettering and the auto-focus switch...??!!
Come on Fuji- if you're going to attempt to make the ultimate "all in one",please finish it off properly.
Little details count- especially given the expected price point.

11:59 am - Sunday, January 1, 2012

#11 Bill

Stats are great, Fuji is finally getting the hint that a bridge can be a performer... but it is ugly, S200EXR... that is a good looking camera!

5:01 am - Thursday, January 5, 2012

#12 doug sinnott

It still has a bigger sensor and viewfinder,which are worthwhile improvements over the still excellent HS20,and the drawback of previous superzooms,and why is it been called ugly,it's a camera,after all!

As regards the finish,it's up there with the best,as most initial reviews have commented,and Fuji cameras are well made,and reliable,and I've owned a few!

12:36 pm - Thursday, January 5, 2012

#13 Peter Davise

I handled one of these at a camera store in Burlington, Ontario yesterday. I have been using an S100fs for the last 4 years and this is the first time that I have been tempted to even think of replacing it.

3:03 am - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#14 doug sinnott

Peter Davise,
Well,what do you think of it?
Is it as good as it looks?
I started with a Fuji S602Z years ago,and have had a string of Fuji's since then,and apart from my current HS20,( a great camera),I also had a Fuji S9600,also a great camera,let down only slightly by a small(2")rear LCD.
I only changed it because the S9600 fell into a stream!

11:33 am - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#15 Peter Davies

I was very impressed! Feels great in the hand and the brightness of the screen and EV is impressive.

Retail here in Canada (at the store I visited) is close to $800, so I will not be rushing out to get one. In fact I have no plans to get a new camera until my S100fs breaks down because I still thouroughly enjoy using it. However, this would be the camera I would now choose if/when the time comes.

3:03 pm - Saturday, January 14, 2012

#16 Warren Lyons

It seems to me that opinions about this camera are polarized in one direction or another;people either love it or hate it. The bottom line seems to be that this model would appeal to bridge camera users willing to pay a premium price, put up with a little extra weight and less reach at the long end in return for better IQ, or would be entry DSLR buyers willing to give up a little IQ in return for the cost savings and convenience of not having a DSLR body and a bag full of lenses

5:12 am - Friday, February 3, 2012

#17 vladckav

S100FS...........S200EXR...........XS1

12:59 am - Monday, February 6, 2012

#18 VICENTE CARDONE

Well, I have a Canon SX20IS, and this is the first time I saw a real improvement over a longer zoom in this camera segment: much larger and faster sensor; better EVF and LCD, a sufficient manual zoom, a TTL dedicated flash and all the features of all the other bridges-superzoom like Nikon P500 or Canon SX40 make this camera a REAL near DSLR camera. Just wait for a drop in price and this will be the best of all.

12:16 am - Wednesday, February 8, 2012

#19 vladimir

Were are the reviews das XS1 e HS30EXR

1:13 pm - Wednesday, February 8, 2012

#20 Phil of Cilcain

I've used an S100fs for 4 years with great results. I tried both the HS10 & HS20 and, presumably because they use a smaller sensor, found the image quality was not quite as good as the old S100fs. The XS1 looks like the camera I've been waiting for, better viewfinder, faster more accurate focus, better image quality and more versatility. It's expensive though and I'll need to see some very good reviews and decent discounts to tempt me to give up my S100.

6:52 am - Saturday, February 25, 2012

#21 doug sinnott

I looked at a second hand S100fs,but it's a bit old hat now,with a small,fixed rear screen,a much smaller zoom range,with a poor wide-angle end,and nowhere near as flexible as the HS20.
I had a S9600,which was a great camera in it's time,but things move on,and it's only when you do upgrade,you find you appreciate all the new features!
The only real let down with the HS20,is the EVF,much improved on the XS1,although it's still perfectlu useable.
The XS1 does look like Fuji have really got it right now!

10:57 am - Saturday, February 25, 2012

#22 Albert Wells

I've been using the XS-1 for several months now. Those complaining of the cost, should compare apples to apples and calculate the cost of a similar camera with a 2/3 inch sensor, with not only the body but also the lenses that will allow you the 24mm wide angle to 624mm zoom, as well as macro down to 1 cm. Add to the fact that you will need to lug all that equipment around and while the xs-1 user will be taking the shot, the DSLR user will be busy digging out the proper lenses to get the shot which may well be gone by the time the camera has been set up.

Since purchasing the XS-1, I do a lot more photography as it only requires a small case and can be pulled out ready-to-go for those sudden photo opportunities. The "ugly look" of the camera translates to a very comfortable grip and quick access to all the controls without having to look.

No, this bridge camera is not a full-frame DSLR, but with features like RAW, silent mode (great for wildlife shooting), selectable high speed autofocus, high-rez EVF, several bracketing options and 10 FPS shooting, it does virtually everything that most photographers need. I use the tilt LCD and do wish more flexibility with it, but it does the job in most cases.

All-in-all, I do not regret my purchase of the XS-1. The DSLR is not dead, but as technology progresses, its little brother, the bridge camera is growing up very quickly!

12:46 pm - Monday, September 23, 2013

#23 Phil of Cilcain

Albert, I couldn't agree with you more. It's sad that the early X-S1s had a few teething problems (orbs were never a problem for me, but I had the blue spot centre when shooting into the light needing a new lens), but it's a mature and very capable camera now. The current price level also offers excellent value.
I've heard rumour though that it's about to be discontinued. Is there an X-S2 on the horizon? I certainly hope so.

1:15 pm - Monday, September 23, 2013

#24 dougsinnott

I also have a new Sony DSLR,and think that that the XS1 has the better EVF!
A fully flexible rear LCD is useful to some,but I have had them,and never found them that useful,and the XS1 type is fine for me.

4:27 pm - Monday, September 23, 2013

#25 vladimir

I heard some time atraz the fuji HS50 EXR would be the replacement of the XS1 and xs1 be discontinued, anyone have any information about it. Grateful / vlad

7:58 pm - Monday, September 23, 2013

#26 dougsinnott

The HS50 is not a replacement for the XS1.
It's got a smaller sensor,and is really an improved HS30,with an even longer zoom,and although the build quality,and the viewfinder aren't up to the Xs1,it's had some good reviews.
It also has a fully articulated rear LCD.

10:03 pm - Monday, September 23, 2013

#27 vladimir

Obrigado sr dougsinnoott eu também imaginava isto,
seria muito estranho a hs50exr substituir a xs1
fico então na expectativa de XS2, quem sabe? grato.

11:06 pm - Monday, September 23, 2013