Jennifer Blakeley’s “Alphabet Photography”

August 7, 2009 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Websites | 24 Comments |

Alphabet photography - the brainchild of Canadian photographer Jennifer Blakeley - is the creative process of photographing images that resemble letters of the English alphabet, then arranging the photographs together to create a name or word. Inspired by the children’s book “Alphabet City,” Blakely traveled across Canada taking photos of objects and scenery that resemble letters of the English alphabet and has now turned those photos into a thriving online business, Alphabet Photography Inc. Blakeley develops the photos in sepia tone and customises the photographs to spell names and words that are special to each individual customer - creating alphabet art. The letter art business, in which Blakely is partnered with her husband Sam Blakeley and friend Miriam Laundry, functions primarily online - allowing customers to mix and match the alphabet photos to create any name or word. To see how all this works, head to the website below.

Website: Alphabet Photography

Press Release

Letter Art Makes Alphabet Photography™ Successful Online Business

Inspired by book, Canadian woman turns alphabet art into flourishing online business, despite challenging economy

Niagara Falls, Ontario (PRWEB) July 30, 2009—Entrepreneur Jennifer Blakeley has turned a passion for letter art into an innovative online money making venture. Inspired by the children’s book “Alphabet City,” Blakely traveled across Canada taking photos of objects and scenery that resemble letters of the English alphabet and has now turned those photos into a thriving online business, Alphabet Photography™ Inc.

“Through my travels I was able to photograph hundreds of objects, found completely in their natural surroundings that resembled letters of the alphabet. A bridge became the letter ‘T”, an arm on a park bench a “G” and railway tracks an “E”,” said Blakeley.

Blakeley develops the photos in sepia tone and customizes the photographs to spell names and words that are special to each individual customer - creating alphabet art. “Everyone wants to own art that is one of a kind and special to the individual. I felt I could do this in an affordable and creative way through my alphabet photographs” she added.

The letter art business, in which Blakely is partnered with her husband Sam Blakeley and friend Miriam Laundry, functions primarily online - allowing customers to mix and match the alphabet photos to create any name or word. Following two thriving years, Alphabet Photography™ Inc. is now a successfully trademarked company in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom, with a customer base for the personalized name art from around the globe. Alphabet Photography’s work is also endorsed by several top Canadian Designers, and their most recent customized piece was created for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Recent celebrity clients include American Idol Host Ryan Seacrest, and international singing Sensation Nelly Furtado.

The company’s letter photos have become popular gifts at weddings, baby showers and housewarmings. Each 4x6 photograph sells for $5 and can be purchased through their website or at any of their exhibit locations. Pre-framed inspirational words and alphabet art are also available at major retail chains such as Target Stores USA, HomeSense, and AVON, Sears, Green Earth, Meijer and other gift and retail shops across Canada and the USA.

For additional information, visit Alphabet Photography on the web at www.AlphabetPhotography.com

About Alphabet Photography
Alphabet photography is the creative process of photographing images that resemble letters of the English Alphabet, then arranging the photographs together to create a name or word. The Alphabet Photography headquarters are located in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.

Alphabet Photography is the brainchild of Jennifer Blakeley who has spent the past 3 years growing her portfolio photographing objects from all over Canada.

Photo Credit: Jennifer Blakeley | Source: http://www.AlphabetPhotography.com

#1 David Aspinall

This has been done may times before including using the patterns on butterfly wings.

10:09 am - Friday, August 7, 2009

#2 Pete Watson

I have seen the photos first hand. They often seem to lack contrast and are difficult to determine what the letter might be. A good idea but poorly executed.

1:39 pm - Friday, August 7, 2009

#3 Alicia Smith

I think these are great. Very creative, and fun to look at. I have seen other copmpanys do the same thing... I think the whole concept is cool.

5:33 pm - Friday, August 7, 2009

#4 Jeff

I have seen many other photographers do the same thing, and I think that Alphabet Photography has the best most creative selection of letters to choose from. Some other people take photos of letters found in signs...and it looks like this company doesn't do that. I think her photos are beautiful, and more than just "letters".

Kudos on a great idea, and executing it well!

5:39 pm - Friday, August 7, 2009

#5 derek

"Alphabet photography - the brainchild of Canadian photographer Jennifer Blakeley - is the creative process of photographing images that resemble letters of the English alphabet"

more like

"corny mom art"

5:52 pm - Friday, August 7, 2009

#6 Melba

I have looked at most sites using letter art and I find that Alphabet Photography had the best quality pictures. I decided to purchase a framed word and I like it.

6:26 pm - Friday, August 7, 2009

#7 Craig Wilson

What ever you call it, it looks like this "corny mom art" has landed her a 6 figure income. All I can say is good for her.

I wish I would have thought about this first!

7:06 pm - Friday, August 7, 2009

#8 Brian Deitz

I have heard about this company. After looking at the website, I have to say that its a simple idea... but a creative one. I don't think I would have the patience to go collect every letter of the Alphabet... several versions too.
Good for her for doing it, and making a business out of it.

To each their own...lol

3:29 am - Saturday, August 8, 2009

#9 Cecilia

I do like this idea. I think it's very creative. I agree with another reader that sometimes the letters need to be more defined. I don't think I have the vision, or patience, to collect all the letters.

12:21 am - Sunday, August 9, 2009

#10 Cris

This is very creative, check out http://eye4bw.com/

10:40 pm - Sunday, August 9, 2009

#11 Brooke

I also think this is very creative, I like it. I like some of the letters that are un defined... that way I can spell whatever I want and no one would know what it says except me. lol.

11:37 pm - Sunday, August 9, 2009

#12 David Austin

this is cool, i really like it

4:01 pm - Friday, August 14, 2009

#13 David Lincoln

I agree this word art concept is very cool.

There are a lot of people doing this online

just Google it lots of people come

up,PhotoTextCatalog(dot)com,

StickAndStones(dot)com,

LetterPerspectives(dot)com,letteryourlegacy(d

ot)com., etc... But the ones that I think do

this best is http://www.PhotoTextCatalog.com they

have been doing this since 1998.

They also travel all over the word

photographing letters and then let us the

chose from the for Free Online. When you get

your sign is comes with the photo's history

on the back of the sign telling what it is &

where it's from. Not like all those others

out there that are just shooting stuff in

their back yard.

I like http://www.PhotoTextCatalog.com images the

most but you decide for yourself.

6:24 am - Friday, October 9, 2009

#14 David Washington

Hmmm....do you run Photo Text Catalog?? Just sayin'! If the other guys pics are from 'their backyard', I sure do wish my backyard looked like that!! Sounds like sour grapes to me. I think they've done nice work.

10:24 pm - Saturday, November 7, 2009

#15 Brad

Jennifer!

I praise God for your gift, your craft, and your inspiration. Keep A,B,C-ing!

9:58 pm - Tuesday, October 5, 2010

#16 Jeff Montague

I took a look, and its beautiful. I have seen this concept in the past, its harder than it looks. These photos are stunning.

12:02 am - Monday, October 18, 2010

#17 Dale

I'm doing an Alphabet shoot for a college project and was looking at the site for some idea's and inspiration. You have done me proud Thanks

3:33 pm - Thursday, October 21, 2010

#18 letter art

The images are creative and first rate plus the sepia tone adds a lot to the nuance of the images.

5:56 pm - Monday, November 29, 2010

#19 reba

I found a site where you can download images to make your own alphabet photo gifts and frames,etc.
used it for xmas gifts and it worked great!
its at alphabetandnumberphotography.com

5:16 pm - Monday, January 24, 2011

#20 kala

im doing this in my photo class we cant use letters from signs it really cool im having soooooo much fun :)

8:21 pm - Monday, March 14, 2011

#21 Nancy Goldbert

There are quite a few of websites who are using this kind of concept. However, their photos are pretty much the same. I found that this site http://www.alphabetphotocode.com is pretty unique. Their pictures are from China and I love those pictures.

11:48 pm - Monday, September 12, 2011

#22 Alphabet Photography

Alphabet photography is a cool kind of art.Your art work is good but i think you need more innovation in your work.

7:59 am - Friday, August 3, 2012

#23 Amy Levier

Check out http://www.BonneAmy.com

11:05 am - Friday, August 30, 2013

#24 Karen

Great idea. We just bought some of the inspirational art - 4 pics and lined a wall. Love it! Kudos, Jennifer

12:43 am - Tuesday, February 4, 2014