Leica D-Lux 6 Hands-On Photos

September 18, 2012 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Digital Compact Cameras, Photokina 2012 | 29 Comments |

Want to see exactly what the new Leica D-Lux 6 digital compact camera looks like in the flesh? We have compiled a hands-on gallery for your perusal.

9 hands-on photos of the new Leica D-Lux 6 digital compact camera.

Looking eerily similar to the Panasonic Lumix LX7, Leica’s new DLux 6 high-end compact was almost literally buried amongst the company’s avalanche of new product information. We’re big fans of the LX7, so hopefully Leica’s take on an f/1.4 compact with lots of manual controls and RAW support should be similarly appealing when the D-Lux 6 launches in November, priced at £600 in the UK.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Mike

Or save a bundle & buy the Panasonic LX-7.

5:35 pm - Tuesday, September 18, 2012

#2 Joshua Amahit

would be great if the Leica D Lux 6 comes with the EVF as picture when purchased.

6:47 am - Wednesday, September 19, 2012

#3 Mike

I doubt if it will Joshua. Neither the Leica variants of the Panasonic LX-3 or LX-5 came with the EVF & it was available to Leica then.

1:40 pm - Wednesday, September 19, 2012

#4 Khairi

People buy leica because they want leica. If ylu wanna save money or settle for less just get a 100 bucks comlact camera..oh by the way, the lx7 body is not good looking at all

4:01 pm - Tuesday, October 16, 2012

#5 john

Khairi, are you joking? It is exactly the same apart from the grip on the side on the lx7, which in my opinion is a great addition in terms of usability (I can tell you since I have played with them both at the same time, and logically decided to go with the lx7 as they are EXACTLY the same, apart from the grip, and the price... )

People buying the Leica branded version, are just in serious need of a shrink so they can relax with themselves and not have to have brands to communicate to the world who they are....

7:12 pm - Friday, December 21, 2012

#6 Mike

John, you are so right! I have an earlier version, the LX-3. I considered both the Leica & the Panasonic at the time & came down on the side of the Panasonic & have not been disappointed. If all Khairi can find not to like about the LX-7 is, & I quote, "the LX-7 body is not good looking at all" he obviously buys a camera for it's looks & not it's performance. However if some folks want pay a bundle more for the same camera because it has a red plastic badge on it then good luck to them.

7:57 pm - Friday, December 21, 2012

#7 john

Mike, yup, there you go. Panasonic are behind _all_ Leica's digital Point And Shoot cameras and have been so for ages, the electronics is Panasonic, the software is Panasonic (image processor etc.), the only thing that is Leica on them, is the glass, and oh yeah, just like it is on all, wait now, yes indeed, Lumix....

12:44 am - Saturday, December 22, 2012

#8 khairi

ahh you guys are just cheapskates because u sure act like one!

6:27 am - Monday, January 7, 2013

#9 Mike

Khairi. Nope, I'm just not a fashion victim. If you want to pay a bundle more for exactly the same camera, the only difference being a small red plastic disc, then go ahead, Leica will be delighted.

10:38 am - Monday, January 7, 2013

#10 grady

If you said they have the same performance, no they are not, you guys need to look again, they make different photos.

9:34 am - Tuesday, April 23, 2013

#11 John

Grady, in what sense do you mean they "make different photos" ?

That the settings in the jpeg processor are not exactly the same? Anyone actually using the factory setup presets for the jpeg processor?

9:41 am - Tuesday, April 23, 2013

#12 grady

They both make good photos, but if you googling the images under each brand. you'll see what I meant, especially if you visit Ming Thein blog or Craig Photo site, I know nothing about the electronics behind them, but seems like this 'red plastic badge' do a little magic on this one.

2:27 am - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#13 John

Grady, ah, you are assuming based on what you found online. Instead, I've emailed Panasonic months ago asking, and they confirm, there's no difference.

8:16 am - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#14 grady

If you ever visited the electronic company in Japan you'll see that not everyone inside factory had been allowed to see exactly how the products been made. If the salesman gave you a satisfied answered then be happy with it. I believe even small changes they made, could make significant difference.

3:58 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#15 John

Grady, such as?

Why are you so stubbornly trying to convince yourself that the more expensive Leica branded version should be "better"? Did you buy one?

I have tried both during half a day, and ended up buyin the Lumix, the only difference is the presets in the built in JPG processor, the RAW files contains EXACTLY the same stuff, and if you tweak the presets in the JPG processor you'll get EXACTLY the same stuff out of it...

Go figure.

4:14 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#16 John

Grady:

And to quote the review you refer to:

"I’ve had a lot of people asking if the Leica version is any different to the Panasonic version. Physically, they are identical but for the cosmetics – the Leica has a nicer, cleaner (but also slipperier) design and square buttons. The Panasonic has a few more curves, flourishes, chrome bits and a small but welcome front grip. Menu cosmetics are different. Both have identical sensors, lenses, EVF capability, and as far as I can tell, file output. The Leica version is more expensive, but includes Lightroom and an extended warranty; in the end, it washes out price-wise. Buy the Leica if you need processing software or intend to keep the camera a bit longer; the warranty helps and it holds resale value a bit better, too. I reviewed this version because it’s what I happened to have access to."

4:26 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#17 Mike

John, you are wasting your time with these guys. They honestly believe, despite proof to the contrary, that the innards & lenses of these two cameras are completely different. So to those guys I say, go buy the leica & enjoy the 'free' software that comes with it, after all you've paid for it.

4:34 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#18 grady

Then ask the expert and professional I have mentioned above why they chose those one, and how you be so sure they had exactly the same component inside, no one ever prove it right. From what I've seen at various site something coming out from the one is a bit softer than the other.

5:12 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#19 Mike

Grady, Let me ask you a simple question. Can you honestly say if you have personally ever owned either of the cameras mentioned or do you merely read reviews? Without wishing to be personal, you appear to me to be a member of a growing band of camera comparators who have never actually owned any of the models concerned but have become a fountain of knowledge gained from reports without any actual physical experience of the models concerned.

5:32 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#20 John

Grady,

Expert? You mean "Ming Thein blog", again, this is what he said (quote is his own words, from his test):

So Grady, when are you going to understand that it's all in your head?

I have nothing to gain personally to try to make you understand this, I just want other people reading this article and comments to get aware of the actual FACTS about these two identical cameras.

And what is this suppose to prove?

"From what I've seen at various site something coming out from the one is a bit softer than the other."

Web jpg's randomly taken?

Come on now, get real dude!

11:09 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#21 Mike

Nicely put John. I'm afraid the guy is a dweeb!

11:14 pm - Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#22 grady

Thank You. finally you've visited his site, Firstly what I want is you see how wonderful are his works taken with those one and you compare them with the other one's results. If you can't see the different like what I see then it's oke its all about perception matter. Secondly as a professional of course he has to take care about what he said in a site about one and other products. At the final words usually professional doesn't say which one is better, but he left it to the customer's choice.
I personally look what gear he mostly used to created his wonderful works, that is enough proving to me. Oh by the way I'm on the other side of your time zone, so when you sleep I wake up and vice versa.

2:22 am - Thursday, April 25, 2013

#23 John

Grady,

Difference??

You mean between Sony RX-100 and the LX7/D-Lux 6, absolutely I agree, it's a huge difference, shouldn't it be that??

Now stop pretending your Leica is better than the Lx7 and enjoy your photoshop lightroom instead.

8:59 am - Thursday, April 25, 2013

#24 grady

John,
Ok I will stop convince us about the difference of our gear, but please take a look of this site :
There was somebody who has curios like me, did some test of the previous version of our gear, and like I was said the one is softer than the other, so I am not the only one who see it, but as the difference is minor, yes you see them as a same.
Now lets talk about RX100, what you've seen on this gear?

4:51 pm - Thursday, April 25, 2013

#25 John

As I've said, the jpg preset settings can be manually changed, including noise reduction (as with the previous version, this is what they are trying to point out).

When I tried both the lumix and the leica, what I found is that the standard jpg preset settings are a bit different, but once you get around that and tweak yourself, there's no differences. And the raw files, are 100% identical, to the last pixel.

5:26 pm - Thursday, April 25, 2013

#26 Argos69

Well, what an interesting debate!

As a pro photographer (yes, that's how I earn a crust) I have used most of the expensive and budget cameras available.

I know the witchfinders will be after me, but I'm agreeing with Grady and his argument, which has remained polite, despite insults. In the UK the Leica includes 12 months accidental damage insurance, the video lead and a full copy of Lightroom, (which all adds up to more than 25% of the camera cost). I personally have received brilliant aftersales service from Leica UK in the past. After speaking with someone at Leica, I can confirm that the firmware in the two cameras is different (not just the menu fonts). Also that the D-Lux was "adjusted" to try to give a "look" that existing Leica owners like.

The Leica D-Lux series has better high ISO performance and better low-light performance than the Panasonic - that's the reality I've seen. If that doesn't bother you, buy the Panasonic, simple as that.

I think the photographs from the D-Lux are subtly better, but maybe that's my perception. I know they work for me and my clients. I'm not after looking for the cheapest choices, because I know when I finally sell my Leica kit, it holds it's value.

I only felt motivated to add my comment because I do think Grady is far from being a "dweeb". I think he has a discerning eye.

10:07 am - Tuesday, May 7, 2013

#27 John

This, from my side, has never been a witch-hunt, and your arguments are fully valid, extended warranty, included software, probably a better after market value based on the brand name Leica.

But regarding the outcome, the actual files, it's probably your perception. The sensors are the same, and the deliver identical RAW files.

For the jpg's, it's all in your settings.

11:53 am - Tuesday, May 7, 2013

#28 Steve

When I was comparing between DMC-LX3 and D-LUX 4, I knew that the hardware was the same, and that firmware was different. In fact, since I purchased the D-LUX 4, LX3 had more firmware updates than D-LUX 4 did. Anyhow, I put quite a bit of value to the looks on my D-LUX 4. It just looks good with the case.

Anyways, I do believe that with you shoot RAW files the results will be the same since you are getting the same output from the same hardware. However, if you choose to be lazy and want to just post JPG straight out of camera, I doubt that you can tweak in-camera settings of LX3 to match D-LUX 4's, unless you find some kind of tweaked firmware like those on Canon cameras. So You will still have to do some post-editing. In my case, I put away my DSLR and simply take my D-LUX 4 out when I feel like being lazy, and it still gives me decent JPG results with the color tone I like.

11:20 pm - Friday, May 10, 2013

#29 ramey

Hi,

Does anyone know how to adjust the Raw file so that they are processed the same way as the camera's jpeg setting? (meaning the degree of sharpness, contrast, etc?) This very important "look" seems to get lost when importing a RAW file into Lr or even Aperture.

What settings is Leica adjusting to the Raw data to get their JPG's to look perfect. Obviously, for printing purposes, I don't want to just "use" the jpg. Just hoping to get the equivalent aesthetic appearance in Raw... Anyone have success in doing so?

7:51 pm - Wednesday, November 27, 2013