Leica M Adapter for Fujifilm X-Pro 1

January 12, 2012 | Mark Goldstein | CES 2012, Compact System Camera | 8 Comments |

Fujifilm have confirmed that they will release a Leica M adapter for the new X-Pro 1. Speaking to journalists at an exclusive briefing, Fujifilm stated that the adapter will not be launched at next month’s CP+ photography show in Japan, but will be released by April this year. Leica lens owners looking for an alternative to the M9 should form an orderly queue…

Fujifilm have come up with a brand new category name for the X-Pro1 - “premium interchangeable lens camera” - which is claimed to be very different to a “conventional mirrorless camera”, hence the new name.

We also had a closer look at the new Fujifilm EF-X20 flash, which has a guide number of 20, and an additional grip that’s designed for people with larger hands. Pricing for both optional accessories is still to be confirmed.

Finally, some very interesting A3 prints were on display comparing the high ISO output of the X-Pro1 alongside the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and the Sony A77, with significantly less noise and more detail visible from the X-Pro1 at ISO 1600 and faster, going some way to verifying Fujifilm’s claims that their new sensor produces more resolution with less artefacts than either APS-C or full-frame cameras.

A gallery of hands-on photos of the Fujifilm EF-X20 flash and the additional grip. Our hands-on gallery also contains a series of slides from the presentation.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Dan

This news makes me feel a bit giddy. Unleashing my Leica glass on this camera should be pretty amazing. A great M9 back up for a fraction of the cost. Does it do 1080p video? That would be nice

9:44 pm - Thursday, January 12, 2012

#2 Elliot

Will the Fuji use the same focus assist system that Ricoh GXR a12 module uses and Sony uses for manual focus when using Leica or Voigtlander manual focus lenses.

11:04 pm - Thursday, January 12, 2012

#3 Mark Goldstein

Dan, yes, the X-Pro1 shoots 1080p video.

Elliot, are you referring to peaking? If so, Fujifilm haven't released any information just yet.

11:39 pm - Thursday, January 12, 2012

#4 Gary

'M' Mount Adapter and no focus peaking is a deal killer. I love my X100, but the manual focus regime is disruptive. The NEX-5N that I used for a few days was a dream to manually focus my 'M' glass.

3:27 pm - Friday, January 13, 2012

#5 Terost

Will this be the Leica M9 killer? Interesting info on the sensor. Looking forward to reviews of this camera vs other high end digital cameras at high iso's.

9:37 am - Sunday, January 15, 2012

#6 Paul

I recently just tried the the Nex 5n and that focus peaking is HUGE! I loved the x100, but it had its quirks. Now since this and the Nex 7 are coming out, I don't know which to buy.

I'd like to see a ISO comparison between the x-pro and nex 7

6:40 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#7 Peter

@Gary - for manual focusing the X100, I find using the AFL/AEL button to work great. It seems it accomplishes the same thing as peaking, i.e., using the AF system to manually select rather than confirm manually selected focus.

2:30 pm - Wednesday, February 15, 2012

#8 dou13

Xpro will beat even the D7000 in ISO range and quality, so yes it will be better than the NEX7

1:46 pm - Thursday, March 8, 2012