Leica SL vs Canon EOS 5DS R Side-by-Side Comparison

October 22, 2015 | Mark Goldstein | Compact System Camera, Digital SLR Cameras | 12 Comments | |

If you're interested in how the new Leica SL mirrorless camera compares in size to the Canon EOS 5DS R full-frame DSLR, then look no further, as we've compiled a gallery of side-by side product shots of the two cameras.

A side-by-side comparison of the Leica SL and Canon EOS 5DS R cameras.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Bob

Definitely more compact than the Canon but still large by mirrorless standards. But my real question is, what kind of idiot lays a new $$7500 Leica on the bare concrete?

8:14 pm - Thursday, October 22, 2015

#2 Faisal Usman

Your effort no doubt is un deniable Mark Goldstein THanks for a great post.

8:16 pm - Thursday, October 22, 2015

#3 Boss

Bob, it's just a tool. Ok, expensive one but still a tool...

9:10 pm - Thursday, October 22, 2015

#4 DiBo

The original SL almost turned Leica into bankruptcy. I can't believe this should be the camera - where the world has been waiting for. It isn't. It will never be at this price level. Even at half the price it won't be. In a more and more crowded market full of very competent cameras that are much more affordable we can only hope this isn't the big Leica-fail that let history repeat itself.

9:12 pm - Thursday, October 22, 2015

#5 Keith Swindell

Wow, I can't believe that they brought something that clunky to market - at the price Leicas fetch I don't think they will meet even the traditionally low sales volumes one would normally expect. Such a shame really.

9:48 pm - Thursday, October 22, 2015

#6 maysun

wow thats really nice camera . But i also Bought Nikon camera from Croma lower parel, high street phoenix mall last years for my cousins marriage, because of what I read here: http://www.highstreetphoenix.com/brands/croma - Anyone looking to buy a digital camera Croma would help i guess.The camera’s condition still very good.

11:56 am - Friday, October 23, 2015

#7 mhvogel

this is rediculous.
design reminds me of THE EXO GP-1 goPro cover.
nonsense.

1:56 pm - Friday, October 23, 2015

#8 Trent

Well it sure does look pretty, but in afraid it's sales will not be the same. You have to admit, it is a gutsy move by Leica to put out a camera that attempts to push itself into the 'big boy market", but I'm afraid that Sony just has the mirorless market on lock down as Canon and Nikon have DSLRs.

2:33 pm - Friday, October 23, 2015

#9 Vincent Mak

Put this thing at China and double the price tag. That may be a big sales volume for this camera.

4:17 pm - Friday, October 23, 2015

#10 ysengrain

Mmmh !! SL Leica black body color is deeper than Canon

9:01 am - Saturday, October 24, 2015

#11 Daryl

There's more to a camera than specs, handling and ease of use are very important intangibles that can not be discerned from the web, no matter how well presented...speaking of, thank you for the comparison photos. These pictures make me want to try the SL. Recently I was able to handle a Canon 6D and a Nikon D750, the Canon fit so well in my hands yet the Nikon had the better specs and I've been with Nikon for 43 years.

2:51 am - Monday, October 26, 2015

#12 Joerg

Hello together,

what a piece of metal... Even if the technical performance will perform as to be expected from a camera of Leica's price level, the designers of that body must have had some chemicals in their blood ... - compared with the Colani-Style EOS nothing worth to think about. And much too big also.

For that money a 1Dx is the better choice.

Joerg