Leica V-LUX 20

April 20, 2010 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Digital Compact Cameras | 21 Comments |

Leica has just launched the Leica V-LUX 20, a 12.1-megapixel digital compact camera with a 12x zoom and on-board geotagging. Featuring a Leica DC Vario-Elmar 4.1-49.2mm f/3.3-4.9 ASPH. zoom lens with a 35mm equivalent focal range of 25-300mm, the V-LUX 20 allows the user to take both high-resolution still photos and HD videos. The geotagging function - a first on a Leica - lets photographers to record the exact geographical co-ordinates of their location automatically, and makes archiving and organising photos quick and easy. Styled in a matt black finish, the V-Lux 20 provides a complete range of manual shutter speed and aperture settings. The suggested retail price of the LEICA V-LUX 20 is £495. The optional brown leather case has an SRP of £70.

Website: Leica V-LUX 20 Specifications

Leica Press Release

Capture the world with the LEICA V-LUX 20: high-performance compact digital camera with super-zoom and GPS tagging

20 April 2010: Leica Camera AG has announced the LEICA V-LUX 20, a 12.1 effective megapixel digital compact camera with a powerful 12x optical zoom lens and built-in GPS tagging*, making it ideal for recording special memories when travelling – wherever you are in the world.

The integrated, high-performance LEICA DC-VARIO-ELMAR 4.1-49.2mm f/3.3-4.9 ASPH. zoom lens with a focal range of 25-300mm (35mm equivalent) means the V-Lux 20 is perfect for any photographic situation. Whether shooting expansive landscapes, detailed close-ups or shots of distant subjects using the super-telephoto setting, the V-Lux 20 captures them all in breath-taking quality.

The V-Lux 20 is the first Leica camera to feature GPS tagging. For anyone travelling regularly – whether on exotic safaris, family beach holidays or even those important business trips – this innovative feature allows photographers to record the exact geographical co-ordinates of their location (in the Exif data of each photo) automatically, as well as the local time for every shot, ensuring the user always has a useful and accurate record of their trip.  In addition, the V-Lux 20 can display the names of interesting sightseeing locations from a total of 500,000 ‘points of interest’ across 73 countries.

The built-in GPS feature also makes archiving and organising photos quick and easy, during or after a trip. Furthermore, for photographers posting images on social networks, image portals or map sites such as Google Maps or Google Earth, the data automatically reveals exactly when and where the photos were taken.*

For those who want to make movies as well as still images, the LEICA V-LUX 20 enables movie recording in HD quality. Its intelligent automatic features, such as face recognition, automatic scene modes and smart exposure, are all available in movie mode, together with the camera’s zoom functions.

The V-Lux 20’s generous three inch LCD display has a diagonal of 7.5cm and a resolution of 460,000 pixels, and offers an extremely bright, sharp view for precise composition and framing of shots, as well as accurate quality control for captured shots in playback mode.

Beautifully styled in a matt black finish, the V-Lux 20 has been designed with simple, ergonomic controls and user-friendly menus, and offers fully automatic functions for those who prefer to ‘point and shoot’. It also provides a complete range of manual shutter speed and aperture settings for more creative freedom and image control. In addition, the integrated image stabilisation assists the photographer by reducing the chance of blurred pictures, whether due to camera shake or difficult lighting conditions. The compact dimensions and light weight of the camera also make it easy to pack into a bag or rucksack, or simply carry in a pocket, so users can ensure the LEICA V-LUX 20 is with them on every trip.

Full technical specifications at: http://www.leica-storemayfair.co.uk/news/new-V-LUX20.html

Accessories and software

The LEICA V-LUX 20 includes Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 for quick and easy image editing. A high quality brown leather case for the camera is available as an optional accessory from authorised Leica dealers.

Pricing and availability

The LEICA V-LUX 20 will be available in the UK from May 2010 from authorised Leica dealers including the Leica Store Mayfair: http://www.leica-storemayfair.co.uk, tel: 020 7629 1351. A full list of authorised Leica dealers is available at http://www.leica-camera.co.uk. The suggested retail price of the LEICA V-LUX 20 is £495. The optional brown leather case has an SRP of £70.

* GPS tagging may not function in China and neighbouring regions. Strength of satellite signal reception depends on location, and when restricted, positioning data may be recorded inaccurately or not at all.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 sd card

Must stop all this for Leica bollocks. This is just the Lumix TZ10 (and a sensor is smaller than the reproduction of such LX3). I want to pull it with just the market-ROM (Nikon has been very basis of the assessments).

12:16 pm - Tuesday, April 20, 2010

#2 David

Once again a small sensor camera. Even with the very best resolving lenses the inherent s/n ratio of the sensor will make the results mediocre. Beautifully engineered no doubt but the same results can be obtained for half the price. We're not all stupid!!

6:31 pm - Tuesday, April 20, 2010

#3 laith

I do non notice any different between leica V-LUX 20 and Panasonic lumix ZS7 except in the price.
leica V-LUX 20 has doubled Panasonic ZS7 price.I think that leica had to include some other features or improve the specifications of the Panasonic ZS7 (older one).

7:10 pm - Tuesday, April 20, 2010

#4 jezza

leica = ripoff

9:07 pm - Tuesday, April 20, 2010

#5 Zak Ventis

Don't forget that Leica are including Photoshop Elements 8 (£58 on Amazon) as part of the package. But I still prefer money in my pocket to a red dot in my hand!

9:17 am - Wednesday, April 21, 2010

#6 Rod

Am I correct that format is only in JPEG not RAW

7:58 pm - Wednesday, April 21, 2010

#7 OS

Germans = Greedy

1:36 am - Thursday, April 22, 2010

#8 Dave

From the published details it appears that the recordng format is jpeg only. It is my experience that small modern sensors in general do not have much headroom improvement in raw anyway. We all await a quantum leap in small sensor design however, although I haven't heard of any lately!

11:16 am - Thursday, April 22, 2010

#9 laith

From my point of view , Leica had to reduce the price such 1.3x-1.6x of Panasonic lumix ZS7 but not 2x cause i did not find any difference till now.

10:20 am - Saturday, April 24, 2010

#10 Michael Thomson

Of the many cameras I have owned I would put leicas at the top for several reasons. In my experience by far the best after sales service world wide. Lenses which are second to none. Sensible and extremely functional design. Ease of use. Not adopting new techology until it has developed to their standards.
Yes there are many fine brands in the market place but I will continue to buy Leica.

2:22 am - Friday, July 2, 2010

#11 Fortabat

It is somuch a pity to see so much people thinking that Leica just puts a red dot for an add off 300€

The ROM is rewritten top to bottom to obtain Leica
picture signature for Leica owners or make it know to those who still wait before making the jump.
Leica owner are not brainless people. They know
what can be obtained.

For people desagreeing with Leica or saying" no diffrences", I have serious doubts about the chain they use to obtain prints.

Please open your eyes before saying it is a:
- byte to byte copy
- clone
- rebrand
- or other stupiditys.

For info, I have the two and a very good process chain.

I know why I love Leica

1:17 pm - Wednesday, July 14, 2010

#12 fortabat

PS: (for the previous post)

.... and you don't know why you hate it !

"Thinking is not Knowing"

1:27 pm - Wednesday, July 14, 2010

#13 Slaydis

"knowing does not indicate wisdom"

But hey! lets all hug!

I like leica, my brothers like the TZ10, we often compare (!) and there is no difference we can discern, so i agree that leica has not substantiated the difference in price.

Take care.

8:37 am - Saturday, July 24, 2010

#14 heiner

Hi,

just was researching the Leica camera.
seems to be at least similar to the Luminex.

Fortabat< as you have them both, what is the main difference?

Never owned a Leica, but form art photography I know that Leica makes the best phots (in the hands of the right photographer).

Need a camera for private and business (real estate- we focus very much on the foto quality when marketing properties). Also need a wider angle for interior fotos.

Any help would be apreciated.

Best regards Heiner

5:31 am - Monday, August 9, 2010

#15 Eneida

Porque criticais Tanto Una Leica, ¿ Porque no teneis Dinero párr pagarla ? o simplemete Porque es teneis ni idea de pajolera de Fotografía .
La Diferencia ENRE Una y Una Leica Lumix es la Gestión del color y la nitidez . Yo tengo la Panasonic Lumix 3 y la Leica de dlux 4 y no Tiene Nada que ver Una Cosa uno en La Otra Lo Que sí una Fotografía refiere , ASI Que aplicaros El Cuento y No Más Decir chorradas .

8:18 pm - Friday, August 13, 2010

#16 De Rouck Marc

After purchasing my Leica V-Lux 20 just three weeks ago, I came up in an unexpected rainstorm.
I ran to the car which represents approximately 60m away from me was, the camera in my hand verborgen.
Instant camera in the car but unfortunately lost completely piece.
This incident lasted barely 20 seconds, but the camera was already fully aware of water.
I just want to warn everyone of what I call scams by Leica for an expensive camera, certainly not the qualities that it should have.

4:16 pm - Tuesday, September 7, 2010

#17 Jen Tay

Got my Leica VLux 20 last wk, yet to try out the result. I have faith with this brand. My Leica binoculor served gd result.

4:41 pm - Sunday, October 31, 2010

#18 Jen Tay

Clean & Green Singapore Trees Planting Day at Bt. Batok Nature Park.

I shot couple of pictures fr. my Leica VLux 20, great result, I like it.

6:54 pm - Sunday, November 7, 2010

#19 Dirk

photoshop elements 8, how many times do I want it. By including it in the package I am forced 2 buy a second copy. For that reason alone I look for a different camera. If only the buyer had the option to leave it out.

6:35 pm - Thursday, November 18, 2010

#20 Ted

I bought one of these a couple of months back. I bought it priorly as a travel camera. I hate hauling around a big camera bag. I have shot hundreds of images with it and I a still knocked out with the way it renders color. In my opinion the quality if the JPEG processing in it is worth the bump in cost. To keep things simple, I shoot primarily in Jpeg, so the processing is really important to me. I looked at the Lumix and while the images are similar they just didn't pop the way the Leica did.

8:10 pm - Thursday, December 16, 2010

#21 william holland

Please inform me what i must do when I take one(1)
picture and get the message "built-in memory full"
I have a leica V-Lux 40.