Nikon 1 Hands-On Photos

September 21, 2011 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Compact System Camera, Lenses | 16 Comments |

Want to see what the new Nikon 1 J1 and Nikon 1 V1 look like in the flesh? Here’s a gallery of hands-on images showing off the new Nikon 1 V1 and J1 compact system cameras - as well as some of the new Nikon lenses - from every angle.

A gallery of hands-on photos of the Nikon 1 J1 and Nikon 1 V1 compact system cameras and some of their accessories, including a number of lenses and the SB-N5 flash.

Make sure to also check out our other hands-on galleries, in which you can see images showing the Nikon 1 J1 and Nikon 1 V1 alongside the Olympus E-PM1 PEN Mini and the Panasonic Lumix GF1.

Update: We now have an extensive preview complete with sample images showing off the capabilities of the hybrid auto focus system.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Nikola Ovcharski

The bodies are ugly and look cheap

12:32 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#2 seth1066

"The bodies are ugly and look cheap"

So is my wife, but she's great in the sack and the kitchen.

1:01 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#3 Monica

SETH! How dare you say that about me... I want a divorce. I've been sleeping with our neighbor btw, and he's hung better!

1:08 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#4 Michael

The Leica influence runs deep in the Nikon Corporation...

1:10 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#5 seth1066

Well, Monica, too bad DX isn't good enough for you. I have an FX on order, so it's your loss!

1:43 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#6 Mad Hungarian

Made in China? No thanks, I'll skip this plastic baby.

2:54 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#7 Ozone

Obviously Mad Hungarian hasn't looked around him/her to see where all the other goods are made. Some of the very best products - Apple, Lenovo - are made in China now. It all depends on the individual manufacturer.

4:16 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#8 M.

Like the Pentax Q, this is no more than a point-and-shoot with interchangeable lenses. I'm not trading my Oly E-P1 (nor the fabulous OM-system lenses I've just bought).

4:45 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#9 Zoltan Arva-Toth

FWIW, the camera bodies are made of aluminium, with the Nikon 1 V1 also having magnesium alloy reinforced parts.

5:08 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#10 mannah

What a disappointment! What happened with "reinventing photography" and all that crap, Nikon?

8:05 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#11 zebarnabe

They might be better than they look, while is up to a good start, Nikon has still a lot to learn in the mirrorless market...

The announced NIKKOR VR 30-110mm lens looks pretty small :]

Well ... it's another wait and see....

8:25 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#12 Nikola Ovcharski

Some hands-on photos and videos from me at my personal blog: http://bit.ly/Nikon1HandsOn

11:56 pm - Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#13 ian drury

I thought that nikon said in the recent past that they did'nt want to get involved with CSCs /

Might be wrong about that now with the arrival of these two along the lines of the PentaxQ system.

Time & testing will tell if they have made the right move.

5:37 pm - Thursday, September 22, 2011

#14 norm

I can understand that Nikon's new size sensor is to distance it from APSC and their dslr's. But where's the style? The V1 looks like leggo bricks, fugly. I agree with their concept but the execution is terrible, the design and the button configuration...There's a market for all size sensors but not ugly cameras.

5:56 pm - Thursday, September 22, 2011

#15 rob

As they say, the beauty is in the eye of beholder...

Myself, I am a dSLR user (and a Canon user at that), but I happen to think that this Nikon design (looks, ergonomic features) are extremely well done - at least judging from the included photos.

Only hands-on experience can prove or disprove a camera's design to be useful.

10:07 pm - Thursday, September 22, 2011

#16 Bee Jay

I think their designer must have been on holiday when they made this one. If one was to believe their marketing, it's going to be the best camera ever made, but unless the IQ is something incredible, they would be better off starting from scratch again. The last time I remember a company giving their camera such a 'big up' was on a Fuji compact EXR camera, and that 'surprisingly' didn't pull up many trees.

10:28 am - Monday, September 26, 2011