Nikon D700 and D300s Discontinued

January 26, 2012 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Digital SLR Cameras | 19 Comments |

Nikon Japan has quietly added the Nikon D700 and Nikon D300s to the official list of discontinued cameras. This means that the Japanese manufacturer has ceased the production of these DSLRs, but they are still available from a number of on- and off-line vendors around the world. The cameras are being phased out without any successor in sight (although as you’d expect, rumours abound about a D800 being just around the corner).

Source: Nikon Japan

#1 Wedding Photographers Leeds

It was bound to happen sooner or later, although I am surprised it came before the D800 announcement! I'll be watching intently to see the successors to the 300 and 700 announced.

Nikons getting exciting again!

3:13 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#2 Kelly J.

Looks like a great camera, a little bit of a surprise from Nikon:)

7:15 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#3 JJ

It doesn't seem to me like it would build much confidence for nikon systems. With prospect of successor possibly not appearing, it might seem for some people that they would be buying in system witch is dead. I never understood their lineup anyway.

7:58 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#4 JOE PRETE

That is what Panasonic did with their Superzoom The DMC FZ100 that came from an employee's mouth, it was to be the last. When the stores were empty, Out came the new DMC FZ150 with all the bugs worked out (& less MP)

I got blasted on another site for saying it was close to the end for D700. They all said, the older SLR's ran for 5 & 6 years. Nobody understood, that was years ago. Who expected all those beautiful Fujifilm winners like X100, X10, etc. We are their least concern. They know they have us by the _____ Glass. ... Joe Prete

8:00 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#5 JOE PRETE

Maybe they'll take the guts out of the D4 and drop them into a lower priced body, If you remember, the short run of the D300, I just had everything down pat, then they came out with the D700
So what happened, for only $1000.00 more, I ended up buying the D700 also. So I had bought & paid for both cameras inside of something like 12 or 14 months.

Who wouldn't go full frame at only $1000.00 more than the D300?
They learned their marketing lessons real good. (me too)
Maybe this time, we should "wait & see". ... Joe Prete

8:19 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#6 jeffrey ney

This is no surprise. Why would you spend more for a D300 when you can get the much better D7000 for $500.00 less. I own the D7000 and I feel short of a D3 or the new D4, it's the best camera in Nikon's arsenal.

10:19 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#7 JOE PRETE

Jeffrey Ney,
My purchases were back at the time when they were released. The D300 was $1,795.00 Close to a year later, the D700 was purchased for $2,795.00 So I would have waited for the D700 if I were able to see into the future. Many people were pissed. That's when they made it into a D300S. But your comment about the D7000 does not apply because it came out 3 or 4 years later. Do you see now? Remember though, it's better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
A little humor. What were you shooting in 2008/2009? ... Joe Prete

10:51 pm - Thursday, January 26, 2012

#8 jeffrey ney

Honestly? I had a crappy D70, and before that I was still doing medium format (Bronica and Mamiya) film and transparency. I did borrow a D300 once and liked it, but I knew the technology was changing so rapidly that I would hold out. I always thought the prices on DSLR's were too high considering they are so much less complex inside. Sensors are made for about 50 cents in China so what the heck? Plus I was a purist as heart that had a darkroom back in the 70's and 80's where I did all my own black and white. I still go see a movie once and a while and I am usually disappointed in the lack of richness of digitally 'filmed' movies compared to good old Kodak movie film with high end Tiffen filters. I also miss all the dust scratches and lint on the screen as the film went by! But then again, the company that invented it all just went Chapter 11. So much for not changing with the times I guess.

Unlike a lot of people, I am not an 'image snob'. People arguing over cameras to me is about interesting as watching bumpers rust, unless of course you capture a nice image of the rusting bumper! (a little humor on my part). I always tell people to take pictures of what they like and enjoy them. 99.9% of photographers are never going to see their work in a gallery anyway, so love what you do and use it to bring joy in the lives of others!

Peace-out.

Jeff

12:25 am - Friday, January 27, 2012

#9 jeffrey ney

Joe:

I tried responding to you post but it had to be forwarded to the 'editor' because it said it appears to be spam? :-)Maybe the censor will clear it.

2:10 am - Friday, January 27, 2012

#10 jeffrey ney

Hey Joe. My last post went through so let's give it a go. Here was the response from before.

Peace-out.

Jeff

2:18 am - Friday, January 27, 2012

#11 JOE PRETE

Jeffrey Ney, I'm in their system, I don't know why you would reach me. I don't contact you directly, I just posted on the site like you. I'm not even sure how this started, but someone may have jumped the gun, The NIKON D700 & D300S are still on the NIKON US site and still in production. The UK is ahead of us, maybe it's NIKON UK.
Also, the date of FEB. 16th, 2012 is the UK release date. They won't give any confirmed date in the U.S. While some dealers are saying that it's over, they just want to clear their stock at full price. They make over six hundred dollars each. They have a vested interest! "Get them while they're still here". ... Joe Prete

4:12 am - Friday, January 27, 2012

#12 JOE PRETE

Jeffrey, Having a D4 is nice, but it won't make you a better Photographer!. ... Joe Prete

4:17 am - Friday, January 27, 2012

#13 jeffrey ney

Thanks, Joe. I sent another email from my Gmail account explaining how I think my response reached you directly. Very odd circumstance though.

Anyway. You are right about the D4. I have always said 99.9% of photographers never make it past advanced amateur, and that is fine. I have always used photography as a way to bring joy to other people's lives. I know others that do the same. I have bookmarked this site and find it very helpful. Keep up the good work!

1:22 pm - Friday, January 27, 2012

#14 Gerry Reilly

Nothing of a suprise here as the D7000 really replaced the D300/S Still have my D700 and will be sticking with it and using Nikon lenses from the 1960, cameras come and go but glass is forever, that what makes the Nikon system perfect for me.
Should be interesting what will the replacement be, will it be the useless DX or the superior FX?

2:18 pm - Friday, January 27, 2012

#15 jeffrey ney

Gerry, could not agree with you more. Honestly? I have to admit my D7000 is one amazing camera. The images I have taken with it have been stunning. Raw and JPEG, DX sensor and all.

I have mostly Nikon glass, some old some new. I still have my Gen 2 80-200 2.8 that takes very sharp pictures left over from my film days. I have other zooms as well and a prime 20 2.8. My 300 F4 is about done. It is about 20 years old and has mold all over the inside (no idea how it even got there).

I have recently purchased numerous DX lenses and have found them to be as sharp and contrasty as my old stuff. Short story. My 35 mm 1.8 DX is as sharp as any lense in my bag. Period. The build is plastic but the image quality? Holy cow and for $189.00 !!! The 55-200 mm DX? Same story. I don't know how they are doing it for so little money. China and plastic I guess? I have taken sample images, side by side with my 80-200 2.8 and I am not ever going to tell you how mad I am the results. And not because I felt like I wasted 200 bucks on the 55-200. It's the other way around. However, and this is my last plug? I purchased the new Tokina 11-16 2.8 for DX. This is by far the best lens in my bag. The results have been nothing short of stunning. Stunning. Stunning. Nothing Nikon makes compares to this lense. It was $589.00. I could go on for days about this and I am not a Tokina employee nor do I know one! :-) Buy one. That's all I can say on that topic!

Hey man, have a great day and lets hope Nikon keeps the FX sensor in their new ride. It would obviously make a lot of people happy!

3:58 pm - Friday, January 27, 2012

#16 JOE PRETE

I often wonder how spread out we are in these forums, could we be texting and actually be 2 towns away? It happened once when I tried to connect. But for someone having this as a hobby, if you wanted to give it a shot, it's a good idea to at least cover the expenses.

That might show you that it's a great hobby, but a hectic job. You may also "love it as a trade" As for those of you looking for work, if you want to contact me, (you can find my email in some of the forums) and no, you don't need to use the "way back machine" but maybe I can give you some ideas to earn some money in this trade. Gerry, Jeffery, it's yours for the asking.,

Other than what's needed, I would discuss Photography, not so much about brands. We are in a great period of time now if you like automation and digital wonders, and there is a brand & model for all of us. quite a selection. And in each price bracket. If you ever bought a scrap camera and opened it up you would see many familiar names in there. ... Joe Prete

6:57 am - Saturday, January 28, 2012

#17 JOE PRETE

Jeffrey, Like we both experienced, this forum sometimes blocks a post, but then it appears like magic, but out of sequence. So it may not be read by the party it was intended for. I hope they stick with a single moderator system. It would be a lot easier to converse.

In the meantime I think you should look at some of the other forums to stay up to date. The U.K. site is very informative too.
Just do a search of our names along with the camera names and models too. Some of the post's appear at the largest camera store in New York City as well. I'm o k with that. They've treated me well over the years. I hope to speak to you, Gerry, Kelly and the others on this one, or the other forums. ... Joe Prete

8:14 am - Sunday, January 29, 2012

#18 Wedding Photographer

As a D700 user I'm hoping the D800 has the low light capabilites of the the D3's regradless of pixels. The D4 sound's a dream at dream prices.

11:26 pm - Wednesday, February 1, 2012

#19 Martyn

8 jeffrey ney

Honestly? I had a crappy D70.

may be you couldn't use right. Photographers have done excellent work with a D70, exhibition standard. It's not the camera it's the photographers eye.

2:30 am - Sunday, February 5, 2012