Mac users, we're pleased to announce Macphun's all-in-one photo editor Luminar is now available for just $69£52 with special Valentine Day bonuses (two eBooks, Vivid Wonderland preset pack, & Creative Sky Overlay pack) included for free until February 19. Use coupon code "PHOTOBLOG" to save another $10 on Luminar.
We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended". Visit the Luminar web site to try it for free.
The Nikon D7100 is a new 24.1 megapixel APS-C DSLR camera. Key features of the D7100 include a 24.1-megapixel DX format CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter, EXPEED 3 image processor, ISO sensitivity of 100-6400, extendable to 25600, 51 focus points of which 15 are cross-type, 6fps continuous shooting, 1.3x crop function, 3.2 inch 1229k-dot LCD monitor, and 1080p movies up to 60i/50i and 30p/25p/24p.
The Nikon D7100 (Body only) will cost £1099.99 / €1329.00 / $1199.95, and the D7100 and 18-105mm lens kit retails for £1299.99 / €1579.00 / $1599.95 . Sales start in the UK on 21st March 2013.
Nikon UK Press Release
I AM A THRILL-SEEKER: THE NEW NIKON D7100
D7100 (Body only): £1099.99 / €1329.00
D7100 and 18-105mm lens kit: £1299.99/€1579.00
Sales start date: 21st March 2013
London, UK, 21st February 2013 Nikon brings you portable performance to give your photography an adrenaline injection with the release of its new enthusiast-level DX format camera, the 24.1-megapixel Nikon D7100. Surprisingly light and compact for its feature-packed and extremely durable body, the Nikon D7100 goes the extra mile when you do. Its professional-level 51-point AF system brings your vision to life with spectacular results, in finely detailed stills or crisp and clear Full HD movies.
Introducing the new high-performance camera, Simon Iddon, Product Manager – Consumer DSLR, at Nikon UK comments: “The Nikon D7100 is a highly versatile digital SLR camera that offers a powerful set of features, expanding the horizons of the DX-format range.
Whether you shoot landscapes, nature or wildlife images, or if you are a keen traveller, then the new Nikon D7100 is designed for you. Housed in a durable weather-resistant body, photographers can now enjoy extraordinary performance and high quality results in a portable camera they can take anywhere.”
ADVANCED PERFORMANCE FOR SENSATIONAL IMAGE QUALITY
The Nikon D7100 offers superb performance and a huge step up in image quality through an inspiring range of features. Its powerful 24.1-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor guarantees sharply detailed images. By not employing an optical low pass filter (OLPF), the sensor makes the most of its megapixels for impressive high resolution. Images appear extremely sharp, allowing even the finest of textures like hair or feathers to be captured in ultra-high definition. Its EXPEED 3 image processor brings high-speed operation, vibrant colour reproduction and enhanced noise reduction.
The high ISO sensitivity of 100-6400, extendable to 25600 brings superior results even in poorly lit or dark environments, as well as clearly capturing fast-moving subjects. High-speed continuous shooting is assured at up to 6 fps, to easily capture the details of fast movements or rapidly changing facial expressions.
PROFESSIONAL-LEVEL 51-POINT AUTOFOCUS SYSTEM
The Nikon D7100’s AF system offers professional-level performance by employing the same algorithm as the D4. It utilises 51 focus points with 15 cross-type sensors in the central area, offering perfect precision and subject acquisition. Rapid focusing is achieved on even a largely blurred image, due to faster initial AF detection. AF operation is possible under a combined aperture value of f/8, allowing more combinations of lenses and teleconverters to be used – new to cameras of this class. Phase-detection AF is possible down to a minimum luminance of -2 EV, for precise focus in even the darkest of conditions, including moonlight.
Phase detection AF in viewfinder shooting is enhanced with improved operability, accuracy and speed. It offers a wide range of area modes from Single Point to Dynamic Area (set to 9, 21 or 51 points), 3-D tracking and Auto Area. In Live View, contrast-detect AF has also been improved with enhanced operability, accuracy and speed. Movie AF-F is also improved for even better focusing capabilities.
Scene Recognition utilises the powerful 2016-pixel metering sensor to identify your subject’s environment with precision prior to shooting, optimising auto exposure (AE), autofocus (AF) and auto white balance (AWB) for more accurate control. The synergy of the Nikon D7100’s 51-point AF system with its 2,016-pixel RGB sensor gives outstanding performance that surpasses its predecessors.
NEW HORIZONS FOR DX FORMAT WITH 1.3X CROP
The 1.3x crop function offers a range of unique options that expand the possibilities of DX format. Firstly, it opens up greater potential for your existing and new lenses by offering an additional 1.3x telephoto effect. In this mode, 51 focus points cover an even wider area of the frame, right up to the edges, for exceptional subject acquisition. It also allows for faster operation of up to 7 fps continuous shooting and Full HD movie recording up to 50i/60i. These features combine to provide unique possibilities for shooting wildlife, dynamic action and making the most of your telephoto lens.
EXTREME DURABILITY IN A COMPACT BODY
The Nikon D7100’s light and rugged body with magnesium alloy top and rear covers has superior dust, drop and weather resistance, making it a highly robust yet conveniently light camera for its class. Weighing just 675g, the camera’s connected parts are securely sealed to combat invasive moisture and dust, while its image sensor cleaning function activates automatically when the camera is turned on or off.The shutter mechanism has also been tested for 150,000 cycles under demanding conditions. The D7100 is the camera you can rely on – wherever you go, whatever you do.
ERGONOMIC AND INTUITIVE
Ergonomically designed to ensure a stable hold in a compact shape, the Nikon D7100 features a high-performance viewfinder with approximately 100% frame coverage and 0.94x magnification. A high-intensity LCD monitor with 8cm/3.2in 1229k-dot wide-angle view offers clear and precise framing. New usability functions are at your fingertips for viewfinder, Live View and playback. The improved ‘i’ button gives you direct access to frequently used functions and spot white balance can be set quickly when shooting in Live View. The dual memory card slot gives enhanced flexibility in how you shoot and store images: shift easily to a second card when the first is full, or shoot stills on one and movies on the other.
FULL HD MOVIE WITH TWO MOVIE FORMATS
High standards of image quality and ease of operability continue in Full HD Movie, allowing you to shoot Full HD (1920 x 1080) at frame rates of up to 60i/50i in 1.3x crop mode and up to 30p/25p/24p in DX format. A range of creative effects like Selective Colour can be applied in real time. While a stereo microphone is built in, the Nikon D7100 is also compatible with an external microphone ME-1.
CLEAR CAPTURE OF HIGH CONTRAST SCENES
When shooting high contrast scenes, Active D-Lighting (ADL) retains clear details in both highlights and shadows even when the subject is moving. With balanced fill-flash mode, flash output is adjusted to an optimal level. For subjects with big differences in brightness, High Dynamic Range (HDR) function helps to retain the details in both dark and light areas of the image by taking two consecutive images at different exposures and then intelligently combining them into one.
EASY IMAGE SHARING WITH WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY
With wireless capability via the optional WU-1a Mobile Adapter, images from the Nikon D7100 can be transmitted easily and wirelessly to an AppleTM or AndroidTM smart device*, for sharing on social media or photo sharing websites. Now your best images can be shared instantly with your friends or photo community, wherever you are. Your camera can also be controlled via your device for discreet remote shooting, helping you to take great shots without disturbing your subjects.
INSPIRATIONAL EFFECTS IN REAL TIME
Effects Mode adds original touches to both stills and movies with a range of seven special effects: Selective Colour, Miniature, High and Low Key, Silhouette, Colour Sketch and Night Vision can all be applied in real time through Live View so you can see the results as you shoot. Choosing Selective Colour lets you emphasise a single colour or up to 3 colours on a black and white background. Set the mode dial to Effects and a whole new world of image creation opens up. There’s also a range of options to apply effects and retouch after shooting.
ACCESSORIES FOR EASY REMOTE SHOOTING
Nikon is also announcing WR-1, a new wireless remote transceiver that further expands the recently updated range of Nikon’s wireless control accessories. WR-1 features dot matrix display and a score of advanced features that enable the user to take control of most of the shooting operations – from simple remote shutter release to complex, multi-camera set-ups as well as possibility to check and change camera settings when mounted on the Nikon D7100. Various shooting scenarios can be pre-programmed, including simultaneous shooting, interval timer photography as well as customised shutter release delay. Operating on radio frequencies for unobstructed communication, a pair of WR-1 transceivers have a range of operation of up to 120 meters, which can be further expanded with a combination of multiple WR-1’s and/or WR-R10’s.
• 24.1-megapixel DX format CMOS sensor: with no OLPF: for extreme image sharpness on even the finest details.
• EXPEED 3 image processor: for high speed operation, vibrant colour reproduction and enhanced noise reduction.
• ISO sensitivity of 100-6400, extendable to 25600: for exceptional low light performance.
• Professional-level AF system: utilising 51 focus points, of which15 are cross-type, for rapid and precise autofocus.
• 6 fps continuous shooting: to ensure you always capture that fast action shot.
• 1.3x crop function, expanding the possibilities of DX format: with extra telephoto effect, faster speed (up to 7 fps) and extra wide AF coverage.
• 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor with Scene Recognition: highly accurate metering for exact exposures; optimising auto exposure (AE), autofocus (AF) and auto white balance (AWB) for supreme accuracy.
• Full HD Movie: 1080p up to 60i/50i and 30p/25p/24p, for smooth movie recording.
• High performance viewfinder: with approximately 100% frame coverage and 0.94x magnification.
• High-intensity LCD monitor: offers an 8cm/3.2in 1229k-dot wide-angle view.
• Conveniently portable: powerful features packed into a compact body weighing just 690g.
• Durable body with magnesium alloy covers: sealed for dust, weather and drop resistance.
• Dual SD memory card slots: allow overflow and backup recording or set to record RAW and J-PEG individually.
• Accessible usability functions: improved ‘i’ button and Spot White Balance for quick and precise white balance setting in Live View.
• Active D-Lighting (ADL): retains details in highlights and shadows for well-balanced images.
• High Dynamic Range (HDR): combines two shots within a single shutter release to create detailed images of high contrast scenes.
• Effects Mode: allows selected effects to be applied to both stills and movies in Live View.
• Wireless connectivity*: compatible with WU-1a Mobile Adapter
• NIKKOR lenses: with acclaimed NIKKOR lenses you can take full advantage of the camera’s 24.1 megapixels and 1.3x crop mode to create exceptional images and enjoy the portability of DX lenses.
• Remote operation: easily control key camera functions remotely with optional WR-R10 and new WR-1 wireless transceivers and WR-T10 wireless transmitter.
* Compatible with iOS™ and Android™ smart devices. This feature requires use of a dedicated Wireless Mobile Utility application that can be downloaded for free from Google Play™ and the Apple App Store™. Android, Google, Google Play, YouTube, and other marks are trademarks of Google Inc.
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.