Nikon Issues Windows 8 Compatibility Announcement

November 20, 2012 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Software | 25 Comments |

Nikon Europe has posted an announcement on the compatibility of its software products with Microsoft’s new Windows 8 operating system. The company intends to test Windows versions of ViewNX 2, Capture NX 2, Camera Control Pro 2, Short Movie Creator, Nikon Message Center 2, Wireless Transmitter Utility and Thumbnail Selector as well as its NEF and NRW codecs, PC-PJ Transfer and GP-N100 Utility, IPTC Preset Manager and Nik Software’s Color Efex Pro 3.0 for compatibility with the new OS. However, there’s a number of applications for which the company does not plan to provide Windows 8 compatibility. Among these are Nikon Scan, PictureProject, myPicturetown Utility, and more - click through / read on for the complete list. Also note that the company will not provide compatibility with products utilising a serial or SCSI interface (including a number of old Nikon Coolscan models).

Nikon Press Release

Windows 8 Compatibility Announcement

We plan to test Windows versions of the following software applications for compatibility with Windows 8. We will announce our plans regarding full compatibility once testing is complete.

- ViewNX 2
- Capture NX 2
- Camera Control Pro 2
- Short Movie Creator
- Nikon Message Center 2
- Wireless Transmitter Utility
- Thumbnail Selector
- NEF codec
- NRW codec
- PC-PJ Transfer
- nik Color Efex Pro 3.0
- IPTC Preset Manager
- GP-N100 Utility

We do not intend to provide compatibility with the following applications.

- Capture NX Ver. 1.x
- Wireless Camera Setup Utility
- Wireless Connecting Utility
- nik Color Efex Pro 2.0
- my Picturetown Utility
- USB driver for GP-1
- Image Authentication Software

We also do not plan to provide compatibility for other software, or for products utilizing a SCSI or serial connection.

#1 Asiri

Do you all have finished the testing on windows 8 ?. i cant use this software pack with my windows 8 PC. i purchased my nikon D3200 very recently.
i cant go back to win7.
please provide me a link to download windows 8 compatible application pack. it's urgent

Tnx & Regards

Asiri

6:57 am - Wednesday, January 2, 2013

#2 j McM

How am I supposed to keep and view all my photos now that I have a new laptop with windows 8?

3:38 am - Saturday, January 5, 2013

#3 Wael N. Fikry

I Invested much MONEY in Capture NX2, and Now that I have updated my Laptop to Genuine Windows 8 Pro, I cannot USE Capture NX2, Kindly fix this ASAP, We paid premium to actually USE what we paid for, Plus, Windows 8 Pro, is built very closely to Windows 7, so the fix should be easily implemented, Its not like that Nikon will have to start building an application from scratch.

Please contact Microsoft, and collaborate together to fixing this issue.

Thanks.

11:40 pm - Monday, January 7, 2013

#4 Jeff Brown

Just purchased the Nikon D600 and have a new Dell with windows 8. If they do not work together I have to return one or the other. Help please. It's January, 2013. You should know by now.

6:03 pm - Saturday, January 12, 2013

#5 paul etherton

I can't believe it is taking so long to get this sorted Nikon. Bought my new laptop November 2012 and D3200 October 2012. Need a result asap pleeeeease!!!

8:42 pm - Monday, January 14, 2013

#6 Thierry

Hello, I just read that Nikon will not provide any compatibility between Nikon Scan and Windows 8. (http://www.photographyblog.com/news/nikon_issues_windows_8_compatibility_announcement/ )
I still work a lot with my very good Nikon scanner V ED (negs and slides), how can I do in the future ? Do I have to keep working on an old machine under XP ?
Thanks for any answer !
Thierry

11:51 am - Monday, February 4, 2013

#7 Zoltan Arva-Toth

Hi Thierry,

From the wording of their press release, it would appear that Nikon Scan won't work under Windows 8. If that interpretation is correct, you basically have two options. 1) What you've suggested - carry on using an older computer with an OS that supports Nikon Scan. 2) Try Ed Hamrick's Vuescan application under Windows 8 and see if it works properly with your scanner. Based on the info on this page, it should but I haven't tried it myself (I don't own the Nikon Coolscan V ED):
Vuescan isn't free but there's a trial version.

6:23 pm - Monday, February 4, 2013

#8 Jeff

I don't understand all the problems my Capture NX2 and Nikon scan works perfectly with Windows 8 pro.

10:49 pm - Tuesday, February 19, 2013

#9 EHobson

So you are basically saying that you have no plans to provide a method of uploading pictures from my Nikon Coolpix to my new, very expensive, windows 8 computer. If this is how you treat your customers you can be assured that I will NEVER buy another Nikon product.

4:52 am - Saturday, February 23, 2013

#10 The Technician

OK

The Announcement is correct, things do not work on Win8..

I think someone left out the bit about the Work Around..

Yes it will not run on Win8, but it will run on Win8 in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode..

In my case I have ViewNX2, but the procedure below should work for other software

Download the Software onto your hard disk..
Right Click on the exe or Set Up File
Click on Properties
Click on the Compatibility Tab
Click in the Check Box for Compatibility Mode
Choose Windows 7
In the Privilege Level Click on Run this program as an administrator
Click Apply then OK

Run the Softwae

Once the software installed
Find the Icon on the DeskTop or put one there
And repeat the process above

That is, right click on the icon and the properties etc etc...

Then run your program

Hope this helps

6:23 am - Thursday, February 28, 2013

#11 John Molohon

Capture NX2 window will not close when I am finished using it. Window must be forced to close with Task Manager.

Capture NX2 worked well in Vista Home edition; problem occurs in Win 8 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro and in Win 7 compatibility mode.

Help! This is really aggravating.

5:10 pm - Friday, November 1, 2013

#12 Maria Macchi

I´ve got a NIKON Coolpix L10 and I need to transfer my pictures to a HP 1000-1220 LA notebook running Windows 8.
Please tell me how should I do that. I have a USB cable that came with the camera. Do I need to download any program and in such case, which one ?
Thanks for your help . I´m not very familiar with the camera yet.

5:17 am - Saturday, November 2, 2013

#13 John Molohon

Capture NX2 is now working in Win 8.1. I discovered that my Nikon Message Center was incorrectly telling me there were no Nikon updates to NX2. I found the updates on line at NikonUSA.com.

Maria,

Install "View NX2" on your HP. You should have a disk with the new camera. If not you can get it here https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18678

10:36 am - Saturday, November 2, 2013

#14 Vijay

I have a problem with Nikon Capture 4.4 installing as I have just bought new computer with window 8. Can some one help

1:27 pm - Sunday, November 24, 2013

#15 Thierry

Thanks to everybody for their advices.
I tried to use Vuescan, nice but its limit is the definition, 2400dpi, when my Nikon Scanner V ed allows up to 4000 dpi. I could not do higher than 2400.
Any other idea ? I can still use my old machine with XP and Nikon scan, but how long ?...
Thanks again. Thierry

2:36 pm - Sunday, November 24, 2013

#16 manoj

It now works for me in win 8, follow mr. Technicians steps elaborated above. Thanks technician.
Manoj

7:27 pm - Tuesday, December 3, 2013

#17 raj

Hey
I just Bought Nikon D 3200. but the software is not installing ie not supported in Win 8. I m using Win * for past 1.5 yrs.
help me to use Nikon software in my win 8. so that I can avail normal function & feel as a proud Nikon Consumer
Thanks

4:56 pm - Friday, January 3, 2014

#18 james

I have also just purchased d3200 and having the same problems as everyone else as I've windows 8 and can't believe these havn't been resolved yet. please get a move on nikon

5:44 pm - Friday, January 10, 2014

#19 james

I was a bit premature in my judgement and guilty of not doing my homework properly. You can download the software update on Nikons website.... Apologies Nikon.

9:02 pm - Friday, January 10, 2014

#20 cme

Very frustrating. Just purchased d3200. Might as well get my money back and try canon or sony. It's now Feb 2014

4:22 am - Monday, February 17, 2014

#21 ken

Nikon is a year behind !!......How do you sell cameras with software that will not run on the current version of the most popular operating system in the world!!!...............Total B.S.

6:46 pm - Wednesday, February 19, 2014

#22 Eno

Amazing , still not posible to work on windows 8 , with my coolpix S8200 , no more nikon camera here , no way , spend a lot of money , but cant use HI !!!
Must take out the memory card to copy photo's to my pc , HI again , we had to do this loooooong time ago , by the time of first dos system ,, HI again ..
NO no more nikon here ,
My first digital camera ( long time ago ) did it better , connect to pc , and copy , it was no problem , now my pc's , and laptops( 5 )not even found my camera , no support , no downloads , surching hours for driver , nothing to found ,
Fantastic , NIKON ; only selling camera , and never come back HI , again.
NO MORE !!!!!!

1:27 pm - Thursday, August 28, 2014

#23 Dana

Just bought new computer with windows 8, not compatible with my new Nikon D3200. Will it be compatible in the near future? Please help.

2:35 pm - Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#24 Gerald Jette

I have a Nikon L120. Nikon told me that they do not provide a driver for the older models. So I looked at the P600. That is all I did. Looked. After reading the above coments, I believe the Nikon Corp. will soon go the way of the Polaroid, Kodak and the Dodo bird.In the 1950s we foolishly bought new cars simply because the new ones had fins and last year's didn't and not because they were better. Nikon beware. The consumer has smartened up.

2:07 pm - Saturday, October 11, 2014

#25 Chris Pickett

Nikon Coolscan V no longer works with Win8 (new PC here) binned my Nikon Cameras some years ago for Canon - looks like Nikon don't care about customers who paid a lot of money for items in the past - disgusting!! Wont buy from Nikon again

12:43 pm - Tuesday, December 9, 2014