Nikon J1 Most Popular CSC in UK

January 8, 2012 | Mark Goldstein | Compact System Camera | 12 Comments |

The Nikon J1 is currently the most popular compact system camera in the UK. According to figures supplied by Nikon, the J1 was the best-selling CSC model in the week before Christmas, outperforming its nearest rival (the Panasinic G3) by almost two to one.

The Nikon J1 also achieved the distinction of registering the most ever sales for a mirrorless camera in a single week since the category was first established, helping Nikon to become the number 2 brand for compact system cameras in the UK.

Aimed predominantly at people upgrading from a compact camera, the J1 is Nikon’s entry-level mirrorless camera, sporting a 10.1 megapixel sensor and a built-in flash and retailing for just over £500 with the standard 10-30mm kit lens.

Read our in-depth Nikon J1 review here.

#1 dj

Just goes to show that people buy Brands even if that product is inferior.

9:50 pm - Sunday, January 8, 2012

#2 Jamie Product Photography

Yes I agree that is what people tend to do. There is not been that much advancement in terms of camera technology in the past few years but people still create a BIG hype about products.

12:09 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#3 Archer66

"According to figures supplied by Nikon"
nuff said

2:23 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#4 adam

@dj...spoken like someone who has never used a Nikon 1 camera.

3:39 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#5 iran

I don't think this camera is inferior to its rivals but I did read somewhere Nikon is throwing money at people to write this kind of articles, it`s called marketing, nothing wrong with that until they start lying about numbers.

4:36 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#6 Tobias

@Adam: I held both 'One' cameras and put them aside disappointed as neither did have any useful controls.

6:45 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#7 Bee Jay

The worst looking CSC on the market, as well as being only average on build & IQ. But if you're Nikon or Canon I guess that won't hit your sales. It's shame more people don't look further than the logo.

7:14 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#8 travis

I agree with dj on this one, as a guy who works in a camera store it constantly annoys me that people only follow brands they see on tv (ie Canon or Nikon). And when it comes to CSC's Nikon really dropped the ball on this one, the small size and in-camera compression is creating very noticeable jpeg artifacts in every image. I've sold many more m43 cameras when doing a side to side comparison because simply put m43 cameras are as a whole lower price and have a larger sensor.

Also this may just be my experience, but both the v1 and j1 I will put on a self timer on a table top and when the camera takes a photo you see the screen and the image very visibly jumps to the left and causes blur. As far as I could figure this could be pixel shift stabilization.

8:06 pm - Monday, January 9, 2012

#9 hard as snails

the statement from NIKON UK that it’s the 2nd best selling mirrorless camera is patently FALSE

1. it’s not in ARGOS
2. only just now reaching the majority of Jessops
3. not in any UK supermarkets
4. not stocked in many Currys/PCWorld/Comet stores
5. not stocked in many Euronic stores (if any)
6. most popular lists from many UK online camera retailers do not lend credence to Nikon UK’s claim

what is stocked and on the shelves is Lumix, Pen and Nex, no NX, Q or 1?s.

so exactly WHERE are these sales in the UK coming from???????????????

12:37 pm - Saturday, January 14, 2012

#10 ProductPhotography

It's right that we should not be too dependent on the big brands when choosing a camera. However, people who haven't had first hand experience with any brand would surely go for the brands they usually see in advertisements. It's not until they see how a product works that they start having a preference for themselves.

3:36 pm - Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#11 Jewellery Photography

Just perfect for me. I am using Nikon form many years and just loving it for my photography.

11:59 am - Saturday, September 29, 2012

#12 diana

My father likes Nikon I dont know why. But if I were to choose between Nikon and Canon I would go for canon. We did a test once in the studio using a nikon dslr vs canon dslr and canon proved to have better quality shots.

10:32 am - Thursday, November 22, 2012