Official Canon EOS M Sample Images

July 23, 2012 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Compact System Camera | 15 Comments |

Canon Japan has posted 9 sample images and two sample movies captured with the new Canon EOS M compact system camera, Shot at ISO speeds ranging from ISO 100/21° to ISO 400/27°, the Canon EOS M sample photos are provided in JPEG format, at full 18-megapixel resolution (though note that a number of them are currently labelled as “coming soon”). Six of these images were taken using the new EOS M lenses (EF-M 22mm f/2 STM and EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM), whilst the remaining three were captured with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II and EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, The Canon EOS M sample videos were shot in Full HD but are provided at reduced resolution settings (960x540 and 480x270 pixels) only.

Website: Canon EOS M Sample Images & Movies

#1 lucy

Useless without a proper viewfinder

3:54 pm - Monday, July 23, 2012

#2 Dee

Agree with Lucy.

6:53 pm - Monday, July 23, 2012

#3 Terry

I wouldn't say it's "useless." I shoot with my Olympus E-PL1 and the images are surprisingly good. My only disappointment is it doesn't look like the classic Canonets. THAT would have been awesome.

7:37 pm - Monday, July 23, 2012

#4 Billy

So.....a camera is not a camera and has no value or usefulness unless it has a viewfinder? Using that kind of logic, I guess you would say that a car is not a car and has no usefulness or value if there isn't a GPS unit to guide you?! Come on, times are changing, this camera is NOT made for die-hard professional photographers although it appears to have some features that a pro would like. Did you look at the sample images or movies taken with the "M"? They looked pretty good to me and it only proves the point you DON'T need a viewfinder to get great photos or movies with the "M". If you don't like something about the camera, well then don't buy it...it's that simple!

8:48 pm - Monday, July 23, 2012

#5 Billy

You're not making any sense when you say that the "M" is useless....all because it doesn't have a viewfinder? Did you happen to look at the sample photos or movies taken with the "M"? Looks pretty good to me...great color, stunning clarity. And whoever took all those photos or movies surely did an excellent job, considering there was no viewfinder. Think before you speak/write next time.

8:53 pm - Monday, July 23, 2012

#6 Dee

@Billy. The reason I find it useless it's because I would use it for street photography. Try taking shots of strangers without a view finder and you will see what I mean. It's useless in my opinion and last I checked I was allowed to have one. It might be great for you and thats fine by me, but don't tell me to think before I speak or type cause you don't know what my needs are in looking for a camera or a car for that matter ( a v 8 is useless for me too, that's why I drive a v 6)

9:04 pm - Monday, July 23, 2012

#7 Billy

Dee, thank you for your opinion....this time. Look at your first post and what you said. You actually said nothing, except that you agree with Lucy's assessment of the EOS-M being useless without a viewfinder. At least NOW you gave a reason why you think this camera is useless. When people make one- or two-word statements of opinion without explaining why, that's when you get reactions like mine. To me, when you say that this camera is useless and that statement goes counter to all the sample images and movies that I just saw....in other words, the spectacular images and crystal-clear movies....I simply have to speak up and ask, "Why are you saying that? Didn't you look at all the images?" And this is also why I suggested you think first and OFFER A REASON why you don't like something. I'm willing to bet, there will be many others who look at these samples and who will be just as impressed with this camera as I am, yet when they read what you said and don't see where you offer a reason for your disdain for it ("useless", that's pretty disdainful!), they're probably going to wonder about you just like I did.
Look, at the outset of the comments about this camera, it plainly says that the "M" is a COMPACT SYSTEM CAMERA...and Canon puts in features that users want. Obviously, Canon is listening to its target audience by not putting a viewfinder on it. Most people who shoot compacts or point-and-shoots look at the LCD screen to compose shots...it's just that simple. To make this camera as Canon did, by giving it some great features that DSLR's have, yet combine it with the simplicity of looking at the LCD screen, I'd say they have a real winner on their hands.

2:57 am - Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#8 Dee

@Billy, you are right....My bad.... I should have been more specific. I do like the quality of the photos and video though. I fully see your point. I do apologize.

3:09 am - Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#9 Billy

Dee, no need to apologize. Once I read your second post and saw the type of photography you like, then I had to think that the "M" WOULDN'T be the best choice for you.
Oh, by the way, I like a V-6, too instead of a V-8...unless it's a Mustang Cobra or 'Vette!

3:15 am - Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#10 Dee

Hahahaha Billy. Or a charger. Lol.

4:54 am - Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#11 Mark

You can't see screens in bright sunlight ... thats the problem with not having a viewfinder. as a personal gripe its harder to keep the thing steady when your holding it 30cm from your face. might as well just get a new phone

3:56 pm - Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#12 Billy

Mark,
Good grief! The camera hasn't even been released yet and you've already written it off! I, personally, have seen some screens, like the one on my Nikon D5100, that have no problem in sunlight....so why are you making this kind of assumption on the "M"? I've already read about 6 reviews of this camera and NOT ONE OF THEM has said anything negative about the screen. Besides that, since Canon is OBVIOUSLY making the screen the focal point of the "M", do you honestly believe they would put an inferior screen on it, something that would cause people to not buy it? Why don't you sit tight and wait until it gets released...because, quite frankly, the sample images and videos that have already been released deserve further investigation.

1:41 am - Thursday, July 26, 2012

#13 Fabio

Had the chance to use one yesterday , absolutely amazing ! I'm not a fan of Canon compacts since I decided to give other camera makers a chance , but this one is really interesting. The screen is high quallity and Touch sensitive ,changing focus points is so easy, like Panasonic, of course in order to use this feature one can't be looking through a viewfinder.
There's no flash, just a hot shoe but low light photos are very good, I like to use a LCD viewfinder on compacts, it gives the best possible EVF and works perfectly , it makes the camera big but no bigger than a DSLR and the viewfinder is easily removed when it's no longer necessary, for movies or Shooting in the sun it's great.

2:41 pm - Wednesday, August 15, 2012

#14 Mike

@Dee

Obviously you are an inexperienced photographer. You probably picked up the "hobby" in 2006 and started out with a Rebel or something. I on the other hand remember shooting a Rolleiflex on the streets with a viewfinder that was so useless that you may as well not have one. It's upside down, to start. Tired of wannabes like you....

7:30 am - Sunday, September 30, 2012

#15 Dee

@Mike

Sure thing man. You seem to know it all already, so I am sure you know that the camera is just a tool....., and also I do shoot with a rebel, a T2i and make my clients very happy. In fact I make money from my "hobby" each week. So tired of pro's like you..... Ps:// You should read all of the above and see where I was coming from.

8:16 am - Sunday, September 30, 2012