Official Leica M Sample Images

February 5, 2013 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Digital | 8 Comments |

Leica has posted seven full-resolution sample photos captured with the new Leica M full-frame digital rangefinder camera. Shot with various Leica lenses, these Leica M samples demonstrate the camera’s image quality at various sensitivity settings ranging from ISO 200/24° to ISO 6400/39° (pushed). Four out of the seven sample images are available in JPEG format, while the remaining three are raw DNG files. You can download the official Leica M sample photos from the website below.

Website: Leica

#1 JS

Looks great except those flecks on a sensor...nobody checks it before posting on a official web site?

6:37 pm - Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#2 Miami Wedding Photographers

Wow, this is a very impressive piece of photographic technology. I have never owned a Leica camera but this model is quite nice.

8:13 pm - Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#3 D

I know the purist will be hissing it me, but I downloaded the ISO 6400 DNG and I really could not see anything in it that would make me think it was better than my 5DMKII. In fact, I thought the picture quality was worse....IMO

11:39 pm - Tuesday, February 5, 2013

#4 derek

@D, you sound so narrow minded , this camera is not for you kind of highISO freaks.
this camera is good base ISO camera and it is worth all pennies they asked , amazing quality sensor combined with Leica optics that's what you'll get with this one.
if you dont get it , then you do not need the best but stick with you lowly 5D2 toy camera.

8:59 am - Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#5 Ben

Seriously derek I know the Leica can take a nice picture but calling the 5D a toy camera puts you way higher on the Troll list than D

9:46 pm - Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#6 D

Sorry I meant 5D MKIII...but in fairness my old MKII had better low light capabilities than this too. I am not being a troll, I was just offering my opinion. I didn't think I would be upsetting anyone. I obviously hit a nerve there.
In fact, I have been intrigued with Leica until I saw this file. I wasn't impressed at all....I am not narrow minded...I am VERY open minded. I am always open to and looking for new things and new technology. If I think there is something that can do a better job than what I have, I will get it. I buy the best L lens for my work and I am very impressed with the job they do.
Although Derek might not think so, low iso, good quality images do not impress me. Top end Canon, Nikon, Sony cameras can ALL do nice photos at 100-200iso. I judge a camera that can work well in challenging conditions....and for me, this Leica sucks!!! Believe me....I was very surprised as I have always been the one drooling at the Leica stand in an exhibition.
I am not saying Leica is not an amazing manufacturer, but for MOST types of photography, it is not really suitable. When shooting people, pre-focusing the camera and shooting when someone is a certain distance away or shooting at f8 to make sure you get them in focus, for me, this is not photography. It is a way of dealing with a very limiting, slow functioning camera. If I won the lottery, I would definitely buy one....but for me, it would be more of novelty play thing...a toy. I would use it because it was interesting to use. However, for serious work, I would go for my 5D MKIII (to be fair, it would be a 1DX probably if I was a lottery winner) to do a proper job.

10:37 pm - Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#7 Bob

Wonder what other M9 users feel about the quality of these images?

To me, a few look superior (the 60mm R-macro, for example), while others do not necessarily appear better than what I would expect from my M-9.

I remember being blown away when I saw the first sample images of the D800.

11:12 pm - Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#8 Simon

I must say I have to agree with D; these are not the most impressive set of initial images.

If I am to spend circa $8,000 on a camera body, I want to be impressed.

By comparison you can purchase a pre-owned Leica S2 for the same money. I know they are not the same beast, and I appreciate that pixels are only one aspect of an image but take a look at http://dfarkas.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/leica-s2-review-test-shooting-in.html
and you will not fail to be impressed....

Simon