Pentax K-01 Hands-On Photos

February 2, 2012 | Mark Goldstein | Compact System Camera | 22 Comments |

Want to see exactly what the new Pentax K-01 compact system camera looks like in the flesh?

The Pentax K-01 is a CSC camera that’s been developed in collaboration with Australian designer Marc Newson, sporting a unique design that’s unlike anything else currently on the market.

We tried the K-01 out with the new super-slim 40mm panake lens and a variety of existing K-mount lenses.

The K-01 is available in three colours - black, yellow and white - with the first two versions only being released in the UK.

Check out our extensive hands-on gallery of 51 photos of the new Pentax K-01 camera.

51 photos of the new Pentax K-01 compact system camera.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Duque

OMG.

Sorry, I even get the reason of using the K-Mount and wouldn't even mind, because it does open up new opportunities.

AND yes, it's about making good pictures, and not about the looks of a camera. but you can even make good pictures with a old came. So therefore getting a new camera is also not necessary.

BVUT this came just screams DUPLO/LEGO in the cheapest way possible, proportions seem out the lu.

to bad, another player that came on the market and failed...... well from all the other MILC Makers, this is by far the biggest fail of them all.

2:44 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#2 HW

Looking at the pictures carefully I think it's a wonderful design. Strikingly different and refreshing. Reminds me of Braun design by Dieter Rams, who gave common products like calculators, slide projectors and home appliances timeless class, made them desirable objects and at the same time improved on their usabilty. Judging by these pictures I expect the same from this Pentax and look foreward to the review.

2:59 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#3 Mad Hungarian

OMG, poor Pentax became a freak...

3:09 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#4 Joey Poznan

Another camera i won't buy.

3:20 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#5 old plop

I love this camera. looks good, rather friendly, chunky not too small not too heavy, no new lens mount. no long list of useless features.

if i wasn't already committed to another system i get the pentax

3:49 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#6 Bernard Wheeler

Well done Pentax you have surpassed yourselves. I personally like the yellow one. If you look at the lens, there's a hole in the middle, It,s that where the water squirts from.

5:41 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#7 Graham

What an appalingly ugly camera! No wonder Pentax are not a premier brand!

5:45 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#8 Firillu

Don't know why so many grumpy prima donnas clutter the forums with negativity. If you don't like it, fine, keep on taking snaps of the cat with your D3x.

I think this is nice camera, a welcome change. Someone is thinking out of the box for once. Interesting concept, well done and I'm pretty sure this will be a hit.

I can see people choosing this camera over the boring Canon 600D or Nikon whatever....

6:03 pm - Thursday, February 2, 2012

#9 Greg Rowe

I think that this is a great camera. I love the design. I heard that the IQ will be better than the K5 so that's nothing to turn your nose up at!

3:47 am - Friday, February 3, 2012

#10 Arthur E Garcia

Actually this Pentax K01 will complement my K5 with its video doing 24p which the K5 doesn't have. Good for burning to Bluray.. the only acceptable framerate for Bluray plus my Pentas 18-135 WR would just be perfect for video. A good travel camera it will make. I'll have one.!! For stills my K5 will do too. Shut up all you who don't know what a Pentax is nor have even handled one.

7:14 am - Friday, February 3, 2012

#11 John Silver

Pentax have totally lost it! First the Q and now this.
This company needs to fire all of it's top managers or they will go bankrupt.
I wanted a K-5, but I won't buy it now. So there!

12:27 pm - Friday, February 3, 2012

#12 Zander

Really a useful choice as a second camera for owners of Pentax DSLR / lenses! Only two minor drawbacks: there is no GPS (even optional) and the need for separate AA-adapter (why?). But anyway, I would buy this camera.

12:35 pm - Friday, February 3, 2012

#13 Vincent

Zander, Pentax has released a hot-shoe mounted GPS and it works for K-01. It will even shift its CMOS sensor for long exposure astrotracing if you are into star night shot

Pentax decides to use this battery (Di90) for two reasons: 1. Di90 is the same as K5/K7 battery and will make K-01 great as a second body for those DSLR users
2. All mirrorless cameras drink quicker and AA batteries doesn't hold as much charge as DI90.

9:47 am - Saturday, February 4, 2012

#14 rick

T O Y C A M E R A looking

2:35 pm - Saturday, February 4, 2012

#15 Fred

This is step 1 of Pentax setting themselves up to be the image quality leaders.

Folks, this platform will take full-frame sensors, and has hundreds of full-frame-capable lenses readily available.

3:31 am - Sunday, February 5, 2012

#16 mor

pentax did the same with kx and kr, people didnt take those cameras seriously either but the IQ surpassed the canon and nikon equivalents

10:40 am - Sunday, February 5, 2012

#17 gstaad

Brilliant! It will be all the time most modern gadget pushing rivals to shame. Can be used with its traditional DLSRS lenses without anyadaptor or converter and take the benifit of remarkable Pentax natural colour alone. The camera also comes with a new Prime M imaging engine. Far-out!

12:57 pm - Sunday, February 5, 2012

#18 Corros

I really like this camera. Okay the looks are a bit of taste, but the specs are great! Focus Peaking, 6fps, HDR, 1080p30 or 720p60 etc. etc.

3:04 pm - Sunday, February 5, 2012

#19 Olof

I just decided to keep my Pentax lenses.
The design seems to be userfriendly and with a small lens it will fit in a coatpocket, like all other evil-cameras. Since sensors work best with telecentric designs the longer flange distance is of little importance. Ok Leica have a speciell sensor so their old lenses still work verry well.
It looks like it has a separate button for raising the flash not having to delve into a menue is nice.
And I like the design good that someone dares to do something different than the rest.

10:43 pm - Sunday, February 5, 2012

#20 D

The glaring omission is the lack of EVF or even compatibility for external EVF. At the very least, Pentax should have made the LCD articulate as with the NEX-5n/7. The other thing that would have been nice is a user-assignable wheel (like those on the NEX-7).

While the looks are an acquired taste, I think function is of primary import. I'm not sure why Pentax had to have a renowned designer make this extra ugly, but it does tick most of the right boxes.

I wonder if they could have included an articulating LCD at the same price point if they didn't have to pay Mr. Newson's fee...

11:40 pm - Wednesday, February 8, 2012

#21 rolando

I think it is innovative, cool looking, and a departure from the same tired designs and it sounds like it is capable of taking great images.
Relax guys,Pentax/Ricoh know what they are doing. I bet they will sell well. Like those cars we think no one will buy when they first come out, then you see them everywhere!
Cheers

4:46 am - Thursday, February 9, 2012

#22 vivek

Everyone is missing the point of this camera. This is to be used as a Stool on? camping trips. If you look at the accessories list, it is amazing. You can buy legs to attach to this to sit comfortably while you take pictures with your DSLR. If you attach wheels, you can use it as a skate board. If you are attacked by a bear all you need to do is just show it (Don't even have to throw it, although that might kill it) and the bear would abandon the habitat for good. Why did he put a sensor in it?

5:37 am - Monday, March 5, 2012