Pentax have added two high-performance interchangeable lenses to the premium DA Star series. The smc Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM is a versatile telephoto zoom lens offering a high zoom ratio (92-383mm), while the smc Pentax-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM is a compact medium-telephoto lens offering a large maximum aperture and a focal length of 80mm. The smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM will retail at around £899.99. Price to be confirmed on the smc PENTAX-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM Lens.
Pentax UK Press Release
Two new smc DA* (DA Star) lenses from Pentax enable high-performance, top-quality telephoto and medium-telephoto zoom
PENTAX U.K. launches two high-performance interchangeable lenses for the smc PENTAX-DA* (DA Star) series. These lenses are designed exclusively for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras to deliver top-quality digital images. The smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM is a versatile telephoto zoom lens offering a high zoom ratio, while the smc PENTAX-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM is a compact medium-telephoto lens offering a large maximum aperture.
1. High image quality
The two lenses are the newest members of the exclusive DA Star series and are designed to deliver the top optical performance of all PENTAX interchangeable lenses. Combining a host of advanced technologies including super-low-dispersion optical elements, extra-low dispersion (ED) optical elements and PENTAX-original lens coatings, they assure outstanding image distinction with clear, high-contrast images, even at the edges of the image field.
2. Dust/water-resistant construction
Featuring a set of special seals, the lenses feature a reliable dust-resistant, water-resistant construction to prevent intrusion of dust, water and moisture into the lens body.
3. Quick-Shift Focus system
The PENTAX-invented Quick-Shift Focus system allows instant switching to manual-focus operation, after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s autofocus system.
4. SP coating to block dust and stains
The front surface of the optics is treated with the PENTAX-original Super Protect (SP) coating. Applying a special fluorine compound to the lens surface through a vapour deposition process, this coating effectively repels dust, water and grease, making it easy to wipe off annoying stains such as fingerprints and cosmetic marks.
5. Digital SLR-exclusive optical design
Thanks to a combination of special lens coatings, ideal curvature and best positioning of optical elements, these lenses are designed to optimise digital imaging characteristics, while effectively minimising flare and ghost images. Their image circle is perfectly proportioned to the image-sensor size of PENTAX digital SLR cameras. Despite their large maximum aperture, they are designed to be compact and lightweight to enhance manoeuverability and operability.
Main Features of the smc PENTAX-DA*60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM Lens
(1) When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this zoom lens provides focal lengths from 92mm to 383mm in the 35mm format. Its 4.2-times zoom ratio covers a broad telephoto range, making it ideal for capturing various sports scenes and portraits.
(2) Two extra-low dispersion (ED) optical elements are incorporated into the optics for minimal chromatic aberrations. A unique non-linear shifting system employed in the zoom mechanism effectively reduces field curvature aberrations and assures solid image-description performance at all focal lengths.
(3) The large F4 maximum aperture is retained over the entire zoom range to assure a faster shutter speed or reduce the depth of field.
(4) An innovative hybrid AF system offers both extra-smooth, super-quiet SDM autofocus operation using a supersonic motor installed in the lens body and conventional autofocus operation using a motor built into the camera body.
Main Features of smc PENTAX-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM Lens
(1) When mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, this medium-telephoto lens offers a focal length of 80mm in the 35mm format. Coupled with its large F1.4 maximum aperture, it is ideal for portraiture applications.
(2) A newly developed Aero Bright Coating enhances image-description performance by effectively reducing reflections over a wider wavelength range. Compared to conventional multi-coatings, this new coating greatly improves light transmittance in the lens, while drastically reducing flare and ghost images that deteriorate image quality.
(3) A combination of the latest optical design and a round-shaped diaphragm assures soft, beautifully obscured out-of-focus description, maximising the advantage of a large-aperture lens in shallow depth-of-field applications.
(4) A Super-low-dispersion optical element is incorporated into the optics for effective compensation of a variety of aberrations.
(5) The advanced SDM mechanism assures extra-smooth, super-quiet autofocus operation using a supersonic motor installed in the lens body. Thanks to its SDM-exclusive autofocus system, the lens is designed to be compact, despite its large maximum aperture.
The smc PENTAX-DA* 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM will retail at around £899.99
Price to be confirmed on the smc PENTAX-DA*55mm F1.4 SDM Lens.