Plustek OpticFilm 120 Now Available to Pre-Order

August 31, 2012 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Scanners | 9 Comments |

The Plustek OpticFilm 120, a brand new dedicated desktop film scanner that handles both 35mm and medium format, is now available to pre-order in the UK. Sold by WEX Photographic, the OpticFilm 120 from Plustek supports roll film frame sizes from 6x4.5 to 6x12cm and sells for £1999. Core features include a highly sensitive colour CCD and stepper motor delivering a maximum resolution of 10,660ppi, an 8-element glass lens for sharp scans, an infra-red channel for dust and scratch detection, motorised film transport for automated batch scanning, and an innovative folding rear cover that reduces the size of the scanner to save desktop space and prevent dust from entering the device. The scope of delivery includes holders for 35mm and medium-format film strips - including a patent-pending adjustable pitch 120/220mm film holder that holds the film flat -, as well as mounted slides. The Plustek OpticFilm 120 comes bundled with SilverFast Ai Studio 8.

Special thanks to our reader Mark Naftel for calling our attention to this piece of news.

#1 Rudiger

Can the lens focus, preferably with manual trim settings? If not, it's of zero value.

11:28 pm - Friday, August 31, 2012

#2 Rudiger

Fixed-focus, according to this:

Blech. Price is looking like around $1299. For a fixed-focus device. That is unbelievable.

11:41 pm - Friday, August 31, 2012

#3 Yianni

Plustek Opticfilm 120 scanner will be release in about 2 weeks and will retail in the United States for USD $1,999 (which make sense since in the UK it is £1999 and generally in Europe a lot of items are priced at the same number even if the exchange rate kills them). Pre-ordering will be available from B&H, Adorama, Samy's etc.

I am not a professional photographer; would not necessarily qualify as semi-; almost an enthusiast. I want the scanner to scan 35mm wedding negatives and older negatives I have preserved and there do not appear to be too many options.

Any thoughts on its $2K retail price (unsure if will be lower at retailers other than sure about the $2K because it is from Plustek itself). Are there alternatives to consider to get a really absurdly good high scan similar to the Nikon and Minolta used scanners, but better (and I am not interested in the Canoscan 9000F; already have that and it serves other purposes simlar to my Fujitsu scansnap s1500M that rocks at consumer office document scanning).

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

3:17 am - Saturday, September 1, 2012

#4 Chris

I would advise to wait for some proper tests. The case with the previous Plustek scanners is, that without a doubt sensor resolution is very high BUT the resolution of the optics is not in the ball ground. In the worst case what you get as a final scan, is a huge file with only moderate resolution. The lens is the bottleneck. This cannot be fixed with state-of-art Silverfast program.

According to the tests (http://www.filmscanner.info) with Plustek 7600, at least 80% of pixels were just doubled = zero-information, no matter how high resolution you use for scanning. So full resolution gives you a useable picture, but a very large file to save and the time for scanning is very long. If you are not going to scan a great amount of slides and not going to save, archive and backup them systematically, the quality and price may be right for you - but not for me. I bought a second hand Nikon 4000 ED.

8:52 am - Saturday, September 1, 2012

#5 Yianni

Chris, thank you for your input; good point on waiting for some reviews to come in on quality; price is a bit higher than anticipated (by most).

9:28 am - Saturday, September 1, 2012

#6 Paramount Pakistan Trust

hmmm nice.....its look is so elegant....thanks for sharing the usage information about it. good work

9:45 pm - Sunday, September 2, 2012

#7 Erik

Regarding fixed focus: My Minolta Dimage 5400 is focusing by moving the negative holder back and forth towards the lense, not focusing the actual lense. Perhaps this is the case the the Opticfilm 120 as well?

Being able to focus in the film plane is really critical.

7:08 am - Monday, September 10, 2012

#8 lancephoto

One of the things I've been hoping for is that it will actually scan the entire negative plane including the film edge. I can get this with flatbeds but then I get Newton rings. I suspect this will only scan a cropped portion of the image and not be able to capture the full image including the edge?

9:47 pm - Monday, September 10, 2012

#9 Ian Rivlin

Was anyone away that this scanner doesn't have adjustable focus or autofocus? In addition, there are no glass carriers, so keeping the film flat will be impossible. In essence, it suffers from the same deficiencies as a inexpensive flatbed scanner. I was going to buy the OpticFilm 120 but without adjustable focus, I see little point. I'll check out the Microtek Artix F1. (which has adjustable focus and a greater Dmax than the Plustek). - It even costs slightly less than the OpticFilm 120.

2:30 am - Friday, December 28, 2012