3 day sale: Luminar is now on sale for the lowest price ever!
Version 5 of RawTherapee is now available for Linux, Mac OS and Windows. This update adds support for 32-bit TIFF files, a Lockable Colour Picker, two new tools (Retinex and Wavelets), automated chroma noise reduction, a new Inspect tab, print soft-proofing support, two new exposure tone curves, monitor profile and rendering intent support, and much more. The Mac and Windows versions are downloadable from the RawTherapee project's website, whilst Linux users can get it via their package manager.
RawTherapee 5 Released!
We are absolutely thrilled to release RawTherapee 5!
RawTherapee provides you with a selection of powerful tools with which you can practice the art of developing raw photos. Be sure to read RawPedia to understand how each tool works so that you may make the most of it. A great place to start is the "Getting Started" article. Click on "Main page" in the top-left corner when you have finished reading that article to see all other articles.
If you found a problem, don't keep it to yourself. Find out how to write useful bug reports to get the problem fixed.
Talk with other users and developers in our shared forum. You can also have a live chat using IRC - no installation necessary.
Stay informed by following us on Google+
News Relevant to Photographers
RawTherapee 5 supports most raw formats, including some unusual ones like those from cameras using Foveon and X-Trans sensors. If you're wondering whether it supports your camera's raw format, first download RawTherapee 5 and try for yourself. If a raw format is not supported it will either not open, or the preview in the Editor tab will appear black, white, or have a strong color cast - usually magenta. In that case, read "Adding Support for New Raw Formats" in RawPedia.
In order to use RawTherapee efficiently you should know that:
- You can scroll all panels using the mouse scroll-wheel.
- You can right-click on a tool's name to automatically expand it while collapsing all others.
- To change slider values or drop-down list items with the mouse scroll-wheel, hold the Shift key. This is so that you can safely scroll the panels without accidentally changing a slider or other tool setting.
- All curves support the Shift and Ctrl keys while dragging a point. Shift+drag makes the point snap to meaningful axes (top, bottom, diagonal, other), while Ctrl+drag makes your mouse movement super-fine for precise point positioning.
- There are many keyboard shortcuts which make working with RawTherapee much faster and give you greater control. Make sure you familiarize yourself with them on RawPedia's Keyboard Shortcuts page!
- Wavelets tool.
- Retinex tool.
- Monitor profile and rendering intent support.
- Print soft-proofing support.
- Automatic chroma noise reduction, manual luminance noise reduction using sliders and curves.
- The "Inspect" tab in the File Browser lets you see a 100% preview of the image whose thumbnail your mouse cursor hovers over, which is either the largest JPEG image embedded in the raw file or the image itself when hovering over non-raw images.
- The curve pipette allows you to pick the right point of a curve by clicking in the preview, and input/output values so that you can set the desired output value for a given input value.
- Post-resize sharpening, to give your photos that subtle crispness after resizing them.
- Dual-illuminant DCP support with curves, base tables, look tables and baseline exposure.
- New exposure tone curve modes "Luminance" and "Perceptual".
- Queue processing will stop if an error is encountered while saving, e.g. if you run out of disk space.
- The Contrast by Detail Levels tool received the "Process Locate Before/After Black-and-White" option.
- Rec. 2020 ICC profile added.
- The Navigator can show RGB, HSV and L*a*b* values in a range of 0-255, 0-1 or %.
- The Lockable Color Picker allows you to place multiple sample points over the preview to measure colors and see them change in real time as you manipulate the image. They support the same ranges as the Navigator.
- Grayscale JPEG and TIFF images are now supported.
- 32-bit TIFF files are supported.
- In addition to these new features, RawTherapee received over two years worth of amazing speedups, code cleanups and bug fixes, making it faster and more stable than ever before!