The Ricoh GX100 digital camera features a 10.01 megapixel CCD, fast 24-72mm wide zoom lens and a removable electronic view?nder. The new GX100 is the successor to the popular Caplio GX8. The Ricoh GX100‘s hot shoe accepts an electronic view?nder, an external ?ash, or an external view?nder, and the optional hood and adaptor allow use of the 19 mm wide conversion lens or other 43 mm diameter accessories. There’s also a RAW and RAW + JPEG shooting mode. The Ricoh GX100 with electronic view?nder will be available at the end of April 2007 at £399.99 inc vat.
Ricoh Press Release
Tokyo, Japan, March 28, 2007. Ricoh (President and CEO: Masamitsu Sakurai) announces the launch of its new Caplio GX100 digital camera. The Caplio GX100 is a superior model that achieves high picture quality thanks to the high-speed F2.5 aperture and high-performance 24 to 72 mm wide zoom lens (35mm ?lm equivalent), 10.01 megapixel CCD, and “Smooth Imaging Engine II” packed into a compact body just 25mm thick - a ?rst in the digital camera category.
The new Caplio GX100 is the successor to the popular Caplio GX8 (launched May 2005, open priced). Caplio GX8 was a highly practical superior model featuring comprehensive manual shooting functions and the expandability to allow system upgrades to meet various applications. The Caplio GX100 is a high-performance camera packed with advanced functions including (1) a 24 to 72 mm equivalent high-performance wide zoom lens (Caplio GX8: 28 to 85 mm equivalent) that can be expanded to even ultra-wide-angle shooting equivalent to 19 mm using the optional wide conversion lens, (2) being the ?rst digital camera to support a removable electronic view?nder (LCD view?nder), and (3) high image quality thanks to the 10.01 megapixel effective CCD (Caplio GX8: 8.24 megapixel) and popular Smooth Imaging Engine II image processing.
Main features of the new Caplio GX100
1. 24 to 72 mm high-performance wide zoom lens in a compact body.
• The newly developed 24 to 72 mm wide zoom lens (35mm ?lm equivalent) features a generous con?guration of 11 elements in 7 groups, including aspheric surface lenses and high-refractive-index, low-dispersion lenses. This optimal con?guration restricts distortion, chromatic aberration, and light falloff at edges for wide-angle operations while delivering aperture light settings from F2.5(Wide-angle) to F4.4(Telephoto).
• The body size of 25mm is the smallest that can accommodate* a zoom lens of 24 mm or longer, making it easy to carry and enjoy photography anywhere.
*Smallest volume as of 27th March 2007.
• The 7 blade iris aperture enables ?ne tuning and achieves beautiful blurred backgrounds.
• The optional wide conversion lens enables users to shoot 19 mm ultra-wide-angle photography (but note a separate optional hood and adaptor set is required).
2. Removable electronic view?nder.
• This is the ?rst camera to support a tilted and removable electronic view?nder.
• Offers 100% view?nder coverage without parallax and multi information display similar to a LCD monitor.
• Great for photography in bright outdoor environments. Take photographs as though using a conventional ?lm camera.
• The electronic view?nder is included in the „Caplio GX100 VF KIT“.
3. The 10.01 megapixel CCD combined with an advanced image-processing engine achieves high picture quality with low noise.
• The 10.01 megapixel effective CCD combined with the popular unique image-processing engine “Smooth Imaging Engine II” achieves low noise as well as high picture quality precisely reproducing even details.
4. Twin dials and other controls offer wide array of functions such as simple manual operations.
• The Mode Dial on top of the body, the Up-Down Dial at the front of the body, the ADJ lever at the rear of the body and function buttons on the upper part of the body, etc. allow a wide array of manual settings such as aperture-priority AE settings, manual exposure settings, white balance adjustment, and ISO sensitivity selection while holding the camera in one hand.
• Directly select “My Settings” on the Mode Dial to take photos using the arbitrarily allocated settings.
• New features such as the square mode with a 1:1 aspect ratio and the sepia mode further enhance the range of expression.
5. Excellent expandability with a broad range of accessories for both exclusive use and general purpose.
• The Caplio GX100‘s hot shoe accepts an electronic view?nder, an external ?ash, or an external view?nder available on the market.
• The optional hood and adaptor allow use of the 19 mm wide conversion lens or other 43 mm diameter accessories, such as various ?lters available on the market.
• An optional cable switch is also available.
• The Caplio GX100 can meet the diverse needs of professional photographers, high-end amateurs and commercial uses.
6. Wide-view-angle LCD panel.
• A crystal-clear 2.5-inch 230,000 LCD panel with a wide 170° view angle.
7. Powerful macro functions.
• Retaining the conventional popular macro mode that focuses down to 1 cm (on the wide side), the Caplio GX100 permits macro photography using the blur effect down to 4 cm even on the telephoto side.
8. Compatible with three different power sources: high-capacity rechargeable batteries, AAA batteries, and AC adaptor.
• The Caplio GX100 gets approximately 380 exposures with the included high-capacity rechargeable batteries or approximately 35 exposures using AAA dry batteries. The optional AC adaptor, which is convenient for indoor shooting, can also be used as a third power source.
9. Images can be captured in various combinations of resolution and compression. RAW compression and RAW with JPEG can be selected for ultimate quality.
• RAW compression and RAW with JPEG can be selected for ultimate quality.
10. An aspect ratio of 3:2 and 1:1 can be selected.
• Ratio of 3:2 is the same aspect ratio as 35mm and most digital SLR‘s that allows images to be printed in standard sizes without cropping.
11. Vibration Correction function, based on a CCD shift method
• When camera movement from hand shake is detected, the vibration correction system, based on Ricoh’s own CCD shift method, moves the CCD in the opposite direction to make corrective adjustments. This results in the ability to take clear, sharp telephoto shots at high zoom magni?cation, macro shots, and indoor shots without the negative effects of blurring.
*1 The VF-1 LCD view?nder is included in „GX100 VF KIT“.
*2 The HA-2 hood and adapter is required to use the wide conversion lens. While the wide conversion lens is attached, the internal ?ash can‘t be used because vignetting may occur.
*3 The ST-1 neck strap for the Caplio GX/GX8 cannot be used.
List of Caplio GX100 Options
Rechargeable batteries DB-60, Battery charger BJ-6, AC adapter AC-4c, LCD view?nder*1 VF-1, Wide conversion lens*2 DW-6, Hood and adapter HA-2, Soft case SC-45, Neck strap*3 GS-1, Cable switch CA-1
Rechargeable Battery DB-60, Battery Charger BJ-6, Lens Cap, USB Cable, AV Cable, Handstrap, Software CD-Rom, Manual
GX100 with electronic view?nder included will be available at the end of April 2007 at £399.99 inc vat.
Ricoh Caplio GX100 – Major Speci?cations
Effective 10.01 million pixels (total 10.30 million pixels ), 1/1.75-inch primary-colour CCD
Focal length f=5.1 to 15.3 mm (equivalent to 24 to 72 mm for 35 mm ? lm cameras)
Aperture (F value): F 2.5 - F9.1 (Wide-angle) , F4.4 - F15.8 (Telephoto)
Lens structure 11 glass elements in 7 groups
Vibration Correction Function:
CCD shift method
Approx. 0.3 m -? (wide and telephoto)
Macro Object Distance:
Approx. 0.01 m -? (wide), approx. 0.04 m -? (telephoto) Approx. 0.01 m - ? (Zoom macro mode)
Still image: 180, 120, 60, 30, 15, 8, 4, 2, 1 to 1/2000 sec. / Movie: 1/30 - 1/2000 sec.
Still image: 3648x2736, 3648x2432, 2736x2736, 3264x2448, 2592x1944, 2048x1536, 1280x960, 640x480 / Text: 3648x2736, 2048x1536 / Movie: 640x480, 320x240
Picture mode *1:
F (Fine) / N (Normal) / RAW *2
ISO Sensitivity (Standard Output Sensitivity):
AUTO, AUTO-HI, ISO80 / ISO100 / ISO200 / ISO400 / ISO800 / ISO1600
Flash Off / Auto / Red-eye Flash / Flash On / Flash Synchro / Soft Flash Flash Range*3: Approx. 0.2 - 5.0 m (wide-angle) / 0.15 - 3.0 m (telephoto)
Auto Focus, Manual Focus, Snap, ?
TTL-CCD Metering Method: Multi (256 segments) / Centre-weighted / Spot Metering
Manual exposure Compensation +/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps)
Auto Bracket Function (-0.3 EV, ±0, +0.3EV / -0.5EV,±0,+0.5EV)
Auto, Fixed (OUTDOORS, CLOUDY, INCAND., FLUORES., MANUAL) / White Balance Bracket
SD Memory Card ( 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 MB, 1, 2 GB), SDHC Memory Card (4 GB), Multi Media Card, Internal Memory (26 MB)
Storage Capacity*4 (No. of Pictures) (on internal 26 MB Memory): Still image: 3648x2736 (RAW: 1 / F: 6 / N:11), 3648x2432 (RAW: 1 / F:7 / N: 13) 2736x2736 (F: 8) / 3264x2448 (N: 14) / 2592x1944 (N: 22) / 2048x1536 (N: 35) / 1280x960 (N: 62), 640x480 (N: 276)
Storage Capacity (Time) (Internal 26 MB Memory):
Movie: 640x480 / 30 frames/sec. (12 sec.), 640x480 / 15 frames/sec. (24 sec.), 320×240 / 30 frames/sec. (39 sec.), 320x240 / 15 frames/sec*5 (1 min. 16 sec.)
Storage Data Capacity:
Still image: 3648x2736 (RAW: 14.4 MB/Screen F: 3.61 MB/Screen / N: 2.07 MB/Screen) 3648x2432 (RAW: 12.8 MB/Screen F: 3.21 MB/Screen / N: 1.85 MB/Screen) 2736x2736 (F: 2.71 MB/Screen), 3264x2448 (N: 1.67 MB/Screen) 2592x1944 (N: 1.06 MB/Screen) 2048x1536 (N: 672 KB/Screen) 1280x960 (N: 356 KB/Screen), 640x480 (N: 83KB/Screen) / (Sizes are approximate.)
Still image modes (Still Image / CONT. / S-CONT / M-CONT /), Program Shift / Aperture-Priority / Manual Exposure modes / Scene modes (Portrait / Sports / Landscape / Nightscape /Skew correction / Text / Zoom macro / High Sensitivity), Movie mode / My Setting1 & 2
Still image: JPEG (Exif Ver. 2.21)DCF*6, RAW (DNG) *7
Movie: AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format Compliant) / Sound: WAV (Exif Ver. 2.21? law)
LCD Monitor Display:
2.5-inch Transparent Amorphous Silicon TFT LCD (approx. 230,000 pixels)
Operation time: approx. 10 sec./ approx. 2 sec.
Shooting interval: 5 sec. to 3 hours (5 sec. steps)*8
USB2.0 High-Speed ( mini B cable ), Choice of Ricoh original or Mass Storage driver*9
Audio Out, Video Out
Video Signal Format:
111.6 mm (W) x 58.0 mm (H) x 25.0 mm (D) (excluding projections parts)
Approx. 220 g (excluding batteries, Memory Card, strap), Accessories: approx. 30 g (battery, strap)
Rechargeable battery DB-60 x1 / optional AC adaptor AC-4c / AAA battery (alkaline/oxyride/NiMH) x2
Conforms to CIPA standard: using the DB-60, approx. 380 pictures (Using AAA alkaline batteries: approx. 35 pictures *11)
Operating Temperature Range:
*1: Settable picture modes depend on image size.
*2: Simultaneous recording with same size Fine/Normal modes or Normal 640 mode JPEG image
*3: When the ?ash range is set for ISO AUTO or ISO 400
*4: Estimated number of still images it is possible to record
*5: Max. recording time of 184 min. 57 sec. with 4GB SD Memory Card.
*6: Conforms to DCF, compatible with DPOF. DCF is the abbreviation for the JEITA Design Rules for
Camera Files System. (It does not guarantee perfect inter-camera compatibility.)
*7: The DNG ?le format is a raw image ?le format. It is a standard ?le format of Adobe Systems Inc.
*8: With ?ash OFF.
*9: Mass Storage driver is compatible with Windows Me/2000/XP/Vista, Mac OS9.0-9.2.2, and, Mac
OSX10.1.2-10.4.8. It is not compatible with Windows 98SE or Mac OS 8.6.
*10: Battery performance measured under conditions conforming to CIPA standards. These values are
guidelines only. The actual performance may vary according to usage conditions and the battery
*11: With AAA alkaline batteries manufactured by Matsushita Battery Industrial Co., Ltd. (under the logo of
* Windows is a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S.A. and other countries.
* Mac OS is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. in the U.S.A. and other countries.