The Ricoh R10 is a new 10 megapixel digital camera with a 7.1x, 28-200mm wide-angle zoom lens. Improvements when compared to the previous R8 model include a larger 3 inch HVGA LCD screen, electronic level to ensure straight horizons, Easy shooting mode for beginners, addition of a Function button, the ability to alter the flash intensity, and Auto level compensation. The R10 retains the same Smooth Imaging Engine III image processing engine, CCD-shift vibration correction, face recognition and 1cm macro mode. Available in silver, bronze or black, the Ricoh R10 will be available in mid-October 2008 in the UK for £199.99.
Update: We have a gallery of photos of the Ricoh R10 - click the continue link below…
Ricoh Press Release
7.1x Optical wide-angle zoom digital camera with 3.0-inch HVGA monitor and internal electronic level
Tokyo, Japan, September 19th, 2008 Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo) today announced the development and release of the RICOH R10. In addition to its 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens (28-200 mm in 35 mm film equivalent focal length), this new digital camera features a 460,000-dot HVGA monitor, an electronic level, and other new capabilities to further enhance its utility as a tool for easy photography with advance photographic functions.
The new RICOH R10 is the successor model to the very popular RICOH R8 ( launched March 7, 2008), which featured a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens, a high-resolution 10 megapixel CCD, Smooth Imaging Engine III, and a body combining operability and portability.
Inheriting many distinctive characteristics from its predecessor, the RICOH R10 also has a wide range of advanced capabilities, such as (1) a 3.0-inch 460,000-dot HVGA monitor, (2) the electronic level that is a very popular feature on the GR DIGITAL II (launched November 2007) and the GX200 (launched July 2008), and (3) a flag function enabling quick call-up of selected images.
Inheriting the RICOH R8 design concept “A tool you will want to use every day,” the RICOH R10 has a top cover with the same beauty and solid, metal feel. And an easier-to-hold grip has been added to further increase ease of use as a photographic tool.
Main features of the new Ricoh R10
1. High-resolution 3.0-inch, 460,000-dot HVGA monitor.
• The large, high-resolution 3.0-inch, 460,000-dot HVGA monitor has a wide viewing angle and high contrast for easy viewing even when shooting outdoors.
2. Electronic level utilizing an acceleration sensor.
• The new electronic level is convenient for keeping the camera level when shooting landscapes, buildings, and other scenes where tilting of the subject is a concern. The level indicator shown on the LCD display makes it possible to cofirm that the image is level while shooting.
• It is also possible to check whether the image is level using the level sound setting. When this setting is on, a level sound is continually emitted at a set interval if the camera is level.
• The acceleration sensor also makes it easier to view images on the LCD display by automatically rotating the images to horizontal or vertical during playback.
3. A 28 to 200 mm 7.1x optical zoom on a body featuring both operability and portability.
• Ricoh’s original double retracting lens system has made it possible to mount a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens on a body measuring only 22.6 mm at its thinnest point. This lens can handle a wide range of conditions from wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and tight indoor scenes (with limited space between camera and subject) to high-impact telephoto shooting.
• With the step zoom function, it is possible to change the optical zoom magnification in seven fixed steps (28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 105 mm, 135 mm, and 200 mm equivalent). The step zoom can be easily switched on and off by assigning it to the new Fn (function) button.
4. High image quality with a high-resolution CCD and the highly evaluated image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine III.
• For high-quality images with both high resolution and low noise, the RICOH R10 combines an effective 10 megapixel 1/2.3-inch CCD with Smooth Imaging Engine III, an image processing engine capable of handling a wide range of shooting conditions.
5. New image flag function facilitates quick display of desired images from among the many photographs taken.
• With the image flag function, it is possible to flag up to three image files for quick display from among the images in the camera. When traveling, this function is convenient for calling up images shot for future reference (for example, photographs of maps and time tables).
6. The RICOH R10 takes the concept of „A tool you will want to use every day“ to a new level of functionality.
(1) Fn (function) button
• The Fn (function) button makes it possible to switch selected settings with just one push. Custom defining a frequently used setting, such as target shift or AE lock for auto shooting mode, will make it possible to quickly switch functions by just pushing the Fn button during shooting.
(2) Enhanced grip and design sense
• The change to a grip popular for its ease of use has made the camera easier to hold while enhancing its design sense. The RICOH R10 achieves utility plus styling that intensifies a simple, functional beauty and eliminates design frills.
7. Easy shooting mode to enjoy shooting with simple operations.
• With easy shooting mode only frequently used functions are engaged, and it is possible to shoot using operations easy for almost anyone. By pushing the Fn button when in easy shooting mode, it is possible to specify backlight compensation, which is convenient to use for backlit scenes.
8. Extensive shooting functions enhance enjoyment of image creation.
• Even when shooting in high-contrast situations, the camera can use an auto level compensation function to automatically adjust tones to achieve an appropriate level of brightness in the recorded image while reducing areas that are overly bright or dark.
• A flash light intensity adjustment function makes it possible to adjust light intensity from -2.0 EV to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps.
• When you want to take multiple pictures using the self timer, the custom self-timer function can be used to specify the number of pictures to be taken (1 to 10) and the shooting interval (5 to 10 sec.).
• Aspect ratio (vertical/horizontal ratio) 1:1 square format photography is possible.
9. Superior macro photography functions.
• The highly rated Ricoh macro photography functions are included. Get as close to the subject as 1 cm at maximum wide angle* and 25 cm at maximum telephoto. *32 mm equivalent
• For macro shooting, the minimum macro distance display function can be used to show the minimum shooting distance on the LCD display.
10. Image stabilizer function and face recognition mode.
• The RICOH R10 contains Ricoh’s original CCD-shift image stabilizer function, which compensates for camera shake when it is detected. This reduces the blurring that tends to occur in situations such as telephoto and macro photography.
• Face recognition mode automatically identifies faces in a scene and optimizes focus, exposure, and white balance for the faces.
Rechargeable Battery DB-70 / Battery Charger BJ-7 / USB Cable / AV Cable / Handstrap / Software CD-ROM / Instruction Manuals
Rechargeable Battery DB-70, Battery Charger BJ-7, Soft Case (black) SC-80 BK, Soft Case (brown) SC-80 BN, Neck Strap ST-2, AC Adapter AC-4g
Available colours: silver, black and brown
Available: Mid of October 2008 at £ 199,99 inc vat.