Saturday Shout: How Do You Share Your Photos?

May 19, 2007 | Mark Goldstein | Saturday Shout | 16 Comments |

Saturday ShoutA recent survey (see the next story below) concluded that most of us take photos in order to share them, with email by far the most popular method. Social networking websites are also becoming more important, think sites like MySpace, Flickr and FaceBook, whilst printing is still growing, but not as quickly. The survey also idenitified some interesting age distinctions, with under-25’s eager to share, over 45’s more concerned with the storage and preservation of their memories, and 25-44 year olds a mixture of the two. I want to find out how PhotographyBLOG readers predominantly share their photos. Are you an avid Flickr or online Gallery user? Do you prefer a physical print? Or do you find yourself viewing most photos on a computer monitor? And have you found any cool new services or ways of sharing your photos? Shout out now...

#1 Bill

I use http://fotki.com ... I've been using them since they were very young. It has the best interface as far as I'm concerned... it is very intuitive to use and the prints are excellent. You can print up to 4-feet by 4-feet! I use this too, and the prints are excellent.

If I want a super high quality print, I upload the individual images I want to print to http://mpix.com and print using metallic paper. But for most prints, fotki's service is ideal (and not too expensive).

3:46 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#2 Bill

I should add that when you pay for Fotki's service you get unlimited storage and bandwidth. I'm up over 57gig of image files at this point.

3:47 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#3 phule

I find emailing (receiving or sending) of photos to be annoying and bothersome. Sites like Flickr and PicasaWeb are far better solutions.

That said I use Flickr for the community aspects but roll my own Gallery (using http://gallery.menalto.com) for family and friends.

And I maintain a daily photoblog as a way to motivate myself to shoot.

4:57 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#4 Corey

Email and Flickr are my choice for ways to share photos. Especially Flicr since it is so easy to send a link.

5:35 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#5 K

I hate Flickr.

5:38 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#6 M Gottlieb

I use deviantart.com.

Just my 2 cents worth.

7:18 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#7 M Gottlieb

One more thing:

7:20 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#8 Rick

deviantart.com if one of my favourites.

12:06 am - Sunday, May 20, 2007

#9 Peter H

I've just started a tumblelog http://www.tumblrful.com over at tumblr.com
Tumblr is pretty quick and easy to use for sharing photos, videos, links, text etc.

1:58 pm - Monday, May 21, 2007

#10 James

http://www.redbubble.com - Online galleries, profiles and the ability to sell your work as well.

4:51 am - Tuesday, May 22, 2007

#11 Arun

I upload photos to my own gallery as well as flickr . I also mail out a couple of images to friends.

3:16 am - Wednesday, May 23, 2007

#12 Jim Goldstein

My primary source of sharing images is through my web site and blog. I've been using my Flickr site to share my photos and meet new photographers. Most recently I've been leveraging Flickr for my web site's gallery. Ultimately the web in general is a vehicle to share. My work is printed and displayed both for personal enjoyment and fine art purposes.

The web affords some interesting opportunities for sharing and not in ways tied to just one service. Recently I initiated a Photo Blog Project recruiting photographers to share on their web site's their favorite photo and the story behind it. Submissions close this Thursday and I think it's going to be a great mechanism for photographers to network and learn from one another. In my mind sharing is as much a creative outlet as capturing in image.

6:30 pm - Wednesday, May 23, 2007

#13 Mike

I've found that I've become a bit overextended as far as sharing goes. I have my own gallery on my website, plus I have a "best of" collection on flickr, as well as a myspace and yahoo360 page that are basically adverts of the updates of my main gallery. Also with a select few, I've found that the yahoo IM photo sharing to be a great way to put up a few images and discuss them, and I also submit to various galleries for comments. I've come to learn that there are some people who will come to me, but their are still those I have to seek out if I want them to see what's new.

I also still print out posters and 8x10s of my favorite works.

8:47 am - Thursday, May 24, 2007

#14 Tom

I use Flickr. I'm pretty selective about what I upload, and I never upload full-size images.

IMHO, using any online service as a backup for your photos is not a good idea in the long run.

2:20 pm - Friday, June 1, 2007

#15 William Taylor

I have used photobox.co.uk for a long time mainly to share holiday photos with the family and for printing. Their print service is excellent. I have sent images to them at 5 pm and received the prints in next mornings post. Have started using filckr.

2:36 pm - Friday, June 1, 2007

#16 James Chapman

I run a website called MyParkPhotos.com and it's mainly for showing photos of public parks, refuges, forests,and trails. It's a very small community, but several very good photographers who enjoy sharing their photos online with a group promoting public lands. I used to have a gallery on Flickr also, but found have two galleries was a little too much...I'm in that 25-44 range of photographers.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out in the future with some many photosharing websites and options available to everyday and professional photographers.

Please do visit our website and for those in England, we'd love to see some photos of the parks in your country!

3:13 pm - Friday, June 1, 2007