Saturday Shout: Which new DSLR would you buy?

September 15, 2007 | Mark Goldstein | Saturday Shout | 20 Comments |

Saturday ShoutThe last few weeks have seen a number of exciting new DSLR cameras announced, with the majority aimed at the prosumer photographer with around £1,000 / $1,500 burning a hole in their back pocket. Saturday Shout returns with a bang this week, as we ask you which “affordable” new DSLR camera would you buy, and why? Yes, that’s right, we’re asking you to pick just one of the following big-hitters:

Canon EOS 40D - 10.1 megapixel sensor, 6.5 fps continuous shooting,3 inch LCD screen, upgraded dust and weather resistant construction, ISO 3200 mode and DIGIC III processor.
Nikon D300 - 12.3 megapixel sensor, 6fps continuous shooting, 51 point autofocus system, 3 inch VGA LCD screen with Live View, self-cleaning sensor unit, expandable ISO settings from 200-3200, and new EXPEED image processing system.
Panasonic DMC-L10 - 10.1 megapixel sensor, unique 2.5 inch free angle LCD screen complete with full time live view, Face Detection, Intelligent ISO Control, nine film modes which replicate analog film styles, and Supersonic Wave Filter system.
Sony A700 - 12.24 megapixel CMOS sensor, BIONZ image processor, 11 point autofocus system, ISO 6400,5fps (for 17 shots in RAW mode), 1/8000th shutter speed, 3 inch LCD screen (with 921,000 pixels).
Olympus E-3 - Not too much is known about this DSLR, due in November - even its name has only recently been revealed!

Remember, you’re only allowed to pick one of the above, but you can give as many reasons as you like for your choice. Try and ignore the slightly different price points that each camera is positioned at, and decide which model you would most like to have in your camera bag.

#1 Nick Stubbs

Of your list, and even tough I am a "Canon" man (although I used and worked for Nikon in the 90´s), I would go for the D300.

Nikon have finally caught up it seems (in my opinion anyway and especially with the D3). It all comes down to what the D300 and D3 are like in low light as to whether they steal that particular crown.

I went out to buy a new 580EX II speedlight the other day and came home with the Canon EOS 1D Mark III...I am such a sucker!

Lovely camera....

10:39 am - Saturday, September 15, 2007

#2 Bruce McL

Give me a fast, wide angle lens and image stabilization in the camera. I guess that leaves the Sony, and possibly the new Olympus.

10:57 am - Saturday, September 15, 2007

#3 harold glit

Olympus E3
I would choose the olympus E3 for the following reasons;
1/ I like 4/3 ratio of the image. This is much more pleasant ratio than the oblong 3;2 (especially for verticals) and allows me better compositions without having to crop EACH picture taken
2/ The swivel LCD combined with live view allows discreet shootings in street Photography and interesting angles
3/ I need a solid body with weather sealed

1:47 pm - Saturday, September 15, 2007

#4 Thomas Krueger

Canon 6D with 22 MPx or Canon G10 with interchangeable lenses... :-)

3:31 pm - Saturday, September 15, 2007

#5 K

D300.

Been a Nikon owner for years. Got loads of lenses, own D100 and D200.

Natural upgrade.

Slam dunk.

6:30 pm - Saturday, September 15, 2007

#6 Chris Muir

Nikon D300. I've been wanting to upgrade, and the D300 seems like a breakthrough camera in many ways. Plus I love the 18-200 VR lens.

7:52 pm - Saturday, September 15, 2007

#7 alphaone

Olympus E-3
I choose E-3 since the articulated full time live view LCD, the best dust reduction system and the proven weathersealed system (body & lenses)

1:33 am - Sunday, September 16, 2007

#8 Jared Lindenberg

I would definitely choose the Nikon D300. I am a starting photographer with a Nikon D50, and I have been using that to brim, to a point where i realize I would most benefit from upgrading the camera. I already have some decent lenses to use from the D50, and the nice autofocus system would work wonders to convey the ideas I have for portraits.

2:58 am - Sunday, September 16, 2007

#9 Aaron G. Peabody

With the investment I have made in lenses there's no way I'll be buying anything other than a Canon. So for me the questions really becomes whether I go for the inexpensive and light weight Digital Rebel XTi or the extremely sexy 40D. All things being equal and taking into account the kind of photography I do I think it would have to be the 40D, even though the XTi is a really nice machine.

6:41 am - Sunday, September 16, 2007

#10 S

If I had to upgrade then it would be the Sony. Built in image stabilization and the best (Ziess) zoom available anywhere. Also should hopefully have the superb Minolta handling.

5:00 pm - Sunday, September 16, 2007

#11 Mark

I bought a Canon 40D and have been using it for the last week or so. So far, I'm pleased with my purchase. Considering I already own Canon glass, the D300's higher price (+$500) and the loss involved in selling off my lenses was not proportional to 2mp and more AF points.

8:07 pm - Sunday, September 16, 2007

#12 Stefan

At the moment I would choose D300 without any hesitation. That would be a nice step up from D50 and lens fit as well.

11:00 am - Monday, September 17, 2007

#13 Mark Allen

I have a D80, and would buy the D300. I have a number of good lenses, so there is no point going for anything but Nikon. The D300 looks like a great camera, I really like the 3" LCD anjd live view in tripod mode.

BUt why is it so much cheaper in the US?

6:55 pm - Tuesday, September 18, 2007

#14 David Spencer

I repair cameras for a living and I would never buy anything but Canon. (No, I'm not a dealer for any manufacturer.) I have seen too many problems with all the other major brands especially Nikon. I own a Nikon 200, D80 and D40 for testing purposes. I also own a Canon 30D and 20D. I have worked on all the other major brands and find them all lacking in comparison to Canon. Bottom line: Canon is a far superior product and their lenses are sharper, faster and very silent. Again, Canon is the only way to go. I recommend nothing but Canon to all my customers when their Nikon has died. I shouldn't be saying all of this because I make alot of money off Nikon, Panasonic and Sony repairs.

7:18 pm - Tuesday, September 18, 2007

#15 jim Lynch

NONE OF THE ABOVE. Ive had it with the "APS" "Half-Frame" nonsense. I just need to save up for Canon's 5D update/replacement (when is that anyway?!!!) - in the mean time I stick with my "old" digital rebel - with affordable fixed focal length canon EF lenses it is still terrific.
j

8:22 pm - Tuesday, September 18, 2007

#16 David Apeji

While all the cameras listed here may have price range as a common denominator, only the D300 is a true Pro-grade camera in every sense of the word. This camera is so far ahead of anything even twice it's price (including the D2Xs) that it seems positively a bargain. I have used a D70 for the past 3 years and am seriously considering an upgrade, not least because of the improved auto-focus and enhanced usability features(bright finder and wonderful LCD).

7:34 am - Wednesday, September 19, 2007

#17 Jodz

I'm going for the Nikon D300 (pending DPreview Review). My first DSLR was the D70 and I still dearly love that camera. I almost upgraded to the D80 but held off. I'm glad I did. The D300 gives me almost everything I wish my D70 had...

8:04 pm - Wednesday, September 19, 2007

#18 Chris Barker

D300, I own a D80 already and the prospect of the enhancements the D300 offers is mouthwatering.

Chris (:O)

9:40 pm - Wednesday, September 19, 2007

#19 Terry Stick

I am a Nikon man starting with the good old F2 body in the late 70's. Glad I holded off purchasing a digital camera body until the D300 showed up. Nikon is superior to Canon. I made the mistake converting to Canon back in the early 80's and I'm staying with Nikon forever.

5:00 am - Friday, September 21, 2007

#20 Wesj1

This looks like the one for me. A little expensive, so I'm saving my pennies. The focusing and exposure changes appear to be welcome improvements to the D200, which I had my eye on for some time.

12:57 am - Sunday, September 23, 2007