Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

September 25, 2008 | Mark Goldstein | Lenses | 23 Comments |

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSMSigma have added their HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) technology to the 24-70mm standard zoom lens. The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM lens is more compact than the previous model with an overall length of 94.7cm /3.7inch. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 38cm/15in and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:5.3. The Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM will be available in Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony mounts, available for £799.99. This new lens will be sold alongside the current Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG lens.

Update: We have a gallery of photos of the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM lens - click the continue link below…

Sigma Press Release

The compact large aperture standard zoom lens equipped with HSM

2008.9.23 - The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM.

This large aperture standard zoom lens covers focal lengths from 24mm and is housed in compact construction. The latest optical design provides an overall length of 94.7cm /3.7inch. It is ideal for general photography such as snapshots, portraiture and landscapes. The Super Multi Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting. ELD (Extraordinary Low Dispersion) glass, two SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements and three aspherical lenses provide excellent correction of all types of aberrations. Superior optical performance is ensured throughout the entire zoom range. This lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), ensuring a quiet and high speed AF as well as full time manual focusing capability. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 38cm/15in and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:5.3. The rounded 9 blades diaphragm creates an attractive blur. It is possible to attach the included petal-type hood to block out extraneous light.

24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
Case, Petal-type Hood supplied
Sigma, Canon, Nikon*, Pentax*, Sony*
* If the camera body does not support HSM, auto focus will not be available

Features
  * Large aperture standard zoom lens
  * ELD and SLD glass provides excellent correction of all types of aberrations
  * Super Multi Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting
  * Equipped with HSM ensuring quiet and high speed AF
  * The rounded 9 blade diaphragm creates an attractive blur

Specifications (For Sigma mount)
*Lens Construction:14 Elements 12 Groups *Angle of View:84.1°-34.3° *Number of blades:9pcs *Minimum Aperture:F22 *Minimum Focusing Distance Distance:38cm/15in *Maximum Magnification:1?5.3 *Filter Size:Ø82mm *Lens Hood:Petal-type hood *Dimensions:Ø88.6mm×94.7mm/3.5in×3.7in *Weight:TBD

Accessories
SIGMA DG UV 82mm
SIGMA DG WIDE CIRCULAR PL 82mm

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

#1 Michael

Am i the only one being really excited about this?

11:18 am - Tuesday, September 23, 2008

#2 goldfries

I'm excited over it too! I had the 24-70 f2.8 but this one being smaller, lighter, shorter MFD and above all - HSM!

Unfortunately it's still on 82mm diameter. damn. I want 77mm so I could share filters with my Sigma 10-20!

12:21 am - Monday, September 29, 2008

#3 Dee

im excited about it too! never had sigma lens.... hope this has great image quality just as the sigma 50mm 1.4................. dont wanna spend extra money for the canon 24-70........

by the way... where's the "continue link"? i didnt see it....

6:09 pm - Wednesday, November 12, 2008

#4 Exploited

I'm very interested in it's qualities and am planning on buying this lens if it is better than Sigma's current 24-70 F2.8-lens.

What date is the 'update' and I can also not see the 'continue-link'? Any word on availability and pricing yet?

12:26 pm - Wednesday, November 19, 2008

#5 Wedding photographer France

Hi,

Very interested in this lens as a wedding photographer provided the quality is better than Canon's 24-70L lens.

Unfortunately no OS on this lens...

Where is the photo gallery? As of today (Jan 9) you mention a continue link but there is no such link on the page...

Blaise

1:02 am - Saturday, January 10, 2009

#6 goldfries

1. even the Canon EF 24-70 F2.8 L has no IS.

2. IMO the image quality would never be beating a Canon L lens.

3:15 am - Saturday, January 10, 2009

#7 Wedding photographer France

Hello,

I disagree goldfries:

1. The Canon 17-55 HAS Image Stabilisation. This lens is a key reason a lot of people stick with a cropped frame and don't move to a full frame body. My guess is that Canon will be launching an IS 24-70 for full frame cameras pretty soon.

2. Sigma lenses can be better than the Canon equivalents. For instance the new 50mm 1.4 or the 15mm fisheye. The price point Sigma has set on this lens is very high and as such one can expect excellent quality.

regards,

Blaise

10:19 am - Saturday, January 10, 2009

#8 Bogdan

Is this one an internal zoom design? It reminds me of my 12-24 which is very resembling physically. If it's the same build quality it would really be great.

8:28 pm - Saturday, January 10, 2009

#9 goldfries

Blaise,

1. I know the 17-55 has IS, in fact like what you said, I'm planning to go 17-55 IS USM and stick with cropped sensor due to that. :) Anyway, my reply was in context of the EF 24-70 L alone, vs the Sigma 24-70.

2. Thanks for pointing out the new 50mm f1.4 and 15mm fish-eye btw.

2:47 am - Sunday, January 11, 2009

#10 Cox

Honestly, and 'unbiasedly', being a user of the 24-70L I find the Sigma 24-70 (EX DG MACRO) matches it very closely except for the lack of HSM..but now here it is on the newer variant!

Personally I always had faith in the EX range from Sigma and it has never fell short of my expectation so far. They make wonderful lenses which can compare to both Canon or Nikon's upper class lenses.

With better ISO control on cameras these days, IS isn't crucial at the 70mm end.

4:07 am - Tuesday, February 10, 2009

#11 Igor

Well I bought a Sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg in August last year (new from the store) and it didn't focus properly on my 40D.

They tried adjusting it in the service center but the problem wasn't misalignment but the lens itself -- the motor kept missing the focus point in both directions as if not being able to step precisely enough so it went back-forth-back-forth when you pressed the shutter half-way.

I was pissed off because I had to borrow another lens with lower performance in low-light for my trip to San Francisco and I later returned it for a full refund and got a Canon 70-200 f4L instead deciding to hold off on the purchase at the wide end until I get the money for Canon's 24-70 2.8L.

I will consider this lens, but given my experience with non-hsm version I won't buy it without testing it thoroughly and without being able to pick from at least three of them.

10:11 am - Tuesday, February 24, 2009

#12 Richard Sullivan

I recently purchased the new HSM version of this lens. Very disappointing. Not just soft at F2.8 but blurry. The Lens is a huge monster of a lens. Heavy, impressive looking. But given the fact that I need something crispy at F2.8 zoomed in to 70mm, this lens doesnt get it. I called Sigma and told them about it and they said it might have a focus problem. That's all I read about the non HSM version. I was hoping the new one would be corrected. It is not, and is not worth the $900 price tag. Very Disappointed.

8:48 pm - Monday, March 9, 2009

#13 dennis

I bought the HSM version, at first it was blurry, immensely dissapointed, lost sleep over it in fact. Brought it back to the dealer and asked for a second copy. Apparently, all it needed was calibration using a software. Now I can finally enjoy this piece of glass.

4:19 pm - Monday, March 16, 2009

#14 Wedding Photographer French Riviera

Hi Dennis,

Interesting: how did the calibration happen? Did the vendor do the calibration or was it sent to Sigma?

Was the calibration done in your camera (50D micro adjustment for instance) or in the lens?

Blaise

6:57 pm - Monday, March 16, 2009

#15 Rahul

Hi Dennis,
How did you get the calibration done? And as Blaise asked, did the vendor do it for you?

8:26 pm - Monday, March 16, 2009

#16 JoeM

Sigmas recent products are starting to get really competitive. The DP1 / DP2 offer class leading image quality in a compact camera. The 50/1.4 EX is probably the best 50mm SLR lens currently available (and siginificantly more expensive than manufacturers 50/1.4 lenses!). See here for a review of the new 24-70 HSM vs Nikkor 24-70. http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://review.fengniao.com/124/1249443.html&prev=_t

12:42 pm - Wednesday, March 18, 2009

#17 Dennis

Calibration was done by the shop (Sigma) technician. It was explained to me that before, calibration was done by manually adjusting ( opening the lens I suppose) it. With the new HSM version , they hooked it up to a computer and made some adjustments, fine tuned it with my 50D. I am quite satisfied with the result so far. Coming from a kit lens, the images are better, of course I would not know how it fares with the L lens because I don't own one.

3:35 pm - Sunday, March 22, 2009

#18 tino

I have bought the lense and use it on a Nikon D90 Body. Lens is great, but AF is not always working. E.g. does not work while in Movie mode of the camera ( viewing via the monitor-live view). Also AF works best when in single point mode.

Apart from that the quality of the photos is very clear and good.

I wonder though whether I should also get the lense fine tuned?

10:02 am - Wednesday, April 1, 2009

#19 ari

hi tino, i think only manual focus works on the d90 movie mode, so that means there's nothing wrong with your lens with respect to af =)

i bought the lens too, and it works great, pictures are sharp and clear although i suspect a slight front focusing problem,by a couple of mm. i'll bring it to the shop to have it calibrated

1:36 am - Thursday, April 16, 2009

#20 George

Sigma hsm is much MUCH better than canon L old version. There is roumors talking about 24-70L IS so thats the answer from canon.

Sigma covered that gup so I am for it!! :) I have the old version but I may sell it.

9:28 am - Thursday, April 16, 2009

#21 hue

maybe i missing the point but I was looking for a review that tells me what the lens is like. All that is here is the specs. I already know them. How does it perform? Edge sharpness? Do sigma have a graph showing contrast resolution? What about distortion?? etc etc

2:32 am - Thursday, June 25, 2009

#22 Igor Levicki

For only $200 difference in price compared to Canon 24-70 I would always pick Canon over Sigma especially knowing how poor quality control Sigma has, not to mention the fact that you are risking back/front focusing issues which you might not be able to correct without calibrating the lens.

5:14 pm - Saturday, August 1, 2009

#23 iniciator final

This post is very much informative in context. I like to admire the way you explain the topic about Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Lens.I would like to thank the author for his marvelous efforts.

1:19 pm - Saturday, April 21, 2012