Sony 90mm Macro Hands-on Photos

September 15, 2014 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | Compact System Camera, Lenses, Photokina 2014 | 11 Comments | |

Want to see exactly what the new Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens looks like in the flesh?

Check out our hands-on gallery of photos of the Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens.

A gallery of hands-on photos of the new Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS lens.

Image Gallery

Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.

#1 Dudo

does that one have internal focusing?

8:07 am - Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#2 heronshooter

Any idea about the filter size? The 24-240mm lens shows 72mm on its front, was there any filter size written on the 90mm?

9:19 am - Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#3 Andrew

On FE 90mm is too short for insects.

The HVL-MT24AM Macro Twin Flash also needs an update.

12:36 pm - Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#4 Oleg

That's why I've got the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 + LA-EA3.

8:29 pm - Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#5 Marsh

The 90mm length will provide the much needed longer macro for the Sony Alpha (NEX) APS-C platform. Basically making for a 135mm macro on the cropped sensor platform.

Perfect working distance for shy creatures and better lighting conditions. I just hope it gets here within their projected release date. Zeiss took forever, some 2 years or longer, to finally release their 50mm macro from the time of announcement. 50mm is too short in my opinion, but probably very good for product work, but not nature work.

My NEX 7 is finally living up to it's 24MP sensor with the Zeiss 12, 32, and 16-70 zoom. The "135mm APS-C" G-series macro will be the perfect addition for macro and longer tele-lens work. Now if someone would make a 1.4X e-mount teleconverter, that would be great.

Thanks Sony and Zeiss for such a small high resolution system. I shoot underwater in a Nauticam underwater housing and no longer have to hire a sherpa to lug my gear around :-)

5:29 pm - Friday, October 31, 2014

#6 dileep

I'm expecting 135mm or above. 90mm is not enough fornature lovers. For product shooters somewhat 50 maybe enough

4:43 pm - Wednesday, December 3, 2014

#7 Benny Sjafrudin

Please advised when Sony launching that Lens FE 90mm F2.8 Macro, and how much the Price.

Many Thanks
Benny S

12:06 pm - Thursday, January 8, 2015

#8 cadibob

Ouah, mais c'est ENORME ! Il paraît même plus gros que le 90 macro Tamron et assimilés.
On perd carrément la compacité du système.
Il reste des progrès à faire dans la science de l'optique photo-ciné, à part les DO de Canon et les Plénoptiques Lytro, pas grand'chose de nouveau, c'est vrai que la lumière ne se manipule pas aussi facilement que l'informatique.

8:40 am - Thursday, January 15, 2015

#9 hobo

...did they even try to make it small?

4:42 am - Wednesday, January 28, 2015

#10 Tristan Robitaille

I personally don't care at all about the size and weight. Since this lens is mostly targeted at the studio audience, I think we can somewhat excuse Sony for not making it so small. I value IQ so much more than size and weight. I also think 90mm is perfect for me since I'm a commercial product and still life photographer. I just don't hope that Sony reduced a little the quality so they can sell it at a lower price. I want the best. However, I do understand others' point of view.

4:29 pm - Saturday, February 7, 2015

#11 Rifertia

Some people say 90mm is too short on full frame, but the minimum distance to the subject stays the same. 1:1 means just as big on the sensor as in real. The minimum width of the photo increases from 25 to 36mm eliminating the difference in focal length. But yes the subjects will be a smaller part on your picture.

10:56 pm - Thursday, May 14, 2015