Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W630 / W620 / W610 / S5000

January 10, 2012 | Zoltan Arva-Toth | CES 2012, Digital Compact Cameras | 38 Comments |

Sony unveiled four new compact cameras at CES today. The 16-megapixel Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W630 (pictured) features a Carl Zeiss branded, 25-125mm equivalent zoom lens with enhanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation. The 14-megapixel DSC-W620 also offers 5x optical zoom, but without the Zeiss branding and the optical stabiliser. The W610 also has a 14-megapixel sensor but comes with a Sony branded 4x zoom lens, while the Sony DSC-S5000 is an AA-powered compact with 14 megapixels of resolution and 5x optical zoom. Sony’s Sweep Panorama mode is available on all models to capture an all-round view of landscapes, city scenes and more. The Cyber-shot W630, W620 and S5000 also add four Picture Effect modes - Pop Colour, Toy Camera, Partial Colour and Sof High-key - for easy in-camera creation of “artistic” images. All four new cameras come with PlayMemories Home software pre-installed. The Sony Cyber-shot W630, W620, W610 and S5000 will be available from February.

Sony Press Release

Small cameras, big performance
10 January 2012

Easy-to-use new Cyber-shot™ DSC-W630, W620, W610 and S5000 from Sony

* All-round images with new 360 Sweep Panorama
  * SteadyShot image stabilisation for clearer handheld shots (W630 with enhanced Optical SteadyShot)
  * Intelligent Auto mode recognises up to 33 scene settings for great results automatically(W630, W620, S5000)
  * Picture Effect modes (W630, W620, S5000) for easy in-camera effects
  * Cyber-shot™ W630: 16.1 megapixels, Carl Zeiss 5x optical zoom/25mm wide angle, HD video with Optical SteadyShot Active mode (combined with electrical stabilisation)
  * Cyber-shot™ W620: 14.1 megapixels, 5x optical zoom, HD video
  * Cyber-shot™ W610: 14.1 megapixels, 4x optical zoom
  * Cyber-shot™ S5000: 14.1 megapixels, 5x optical zoom

Point-and-shoot photography has never been so satisfying – or so much fun. Four new compact cameras from Sony make it simple for everyone to take great pictures. The Cyber-shot™ W630, W620, W610 and S5000 put high quality creative imaging within easy reach, even for first-time digital camera owners.

Featured on the Cyber-shot™ W620, W610 and S5000, SteadyShot image stabilisation ensures clearer handheld images with less blur. Optical SteadyShot on the W630 is now enhanced to combat camera shake even more effectively whether you’re shooting HD video or stills – even at high zoom settings.

New 360 Sweep Panorama on all models captures an all-round view of landscapes, city scenes and more. Just press the shutter button and sweep the camera smoothly: a burst of images is stitched together automatically to create stunning 360-degree photos.

Not sure how to get the best out of your next photo opportunity? Intelligent Auto (iAUTO) recognises up to 33 different shooting situations from portraits to twilight scenes. Cyber-shot™ automatically adjusts exposure and other camera settings for clear, natural results without fuss.

As an extra refinement, the Cyber-shot™ W630, W620 and S5000 add four Picture Effect modes for easy ‘in-camera’ creation of artistic images. Enhance your photos with Pop Color, Toy Camera, Partial Color, and Soft High-key effects, with no PC or editing software needed.

A perfect entry into the world of digital imaging by Sony, the Cyber-shot™ S5000 shares many of the fun, easy-to-use features of W Series models. Using widely-available AA batteries, it’s a practical, great-value choice for first-time photographers.

All four new cameras come with PlayMemories Home software pre-installed. Just connect Cyber-shot™ to your PC for easy viewing, editing, printing, emailing, web uploads, disc burning and more.

The range of compatible accessories for Cyber-shot™ now includes a new choice of carry cases that offer stylish, practical protection.

A perfect match for Cyber-shot™, the new core range of SDHC cards by Sony
Available from March 2012 in capacities up to 32GB. X-ray-, shock- and temperature-resistant, the cards’ performance has been upgraded to support data transfer rates up to 30MB/s – ideal for dependable continuous shooting and Full HD video with your Cyber-shot™. Now allowing recovery of accidentally deleted or damaged 3D as well as 2D photo/video files, File Rescue software is available as a free download for registered card owner.

The new Cyber-shot™ W630, W620, W610 and S5000 digital compact cameras by Sony are available from February 2012.

#1 miley

it is a really nice camera.HD with 16 mp at a vry reasonable price.
ossammmmmmmmm

11:07 am - Thursday, March 8, 2012

#2 yadala vijayakumar

The camera sony is good it is very handy and i am enjoying the features of this camera dsc-w630
thanks for the product

7:13 am - Tuesday, March 13, 2012

#3 gilly

I love the camera but so disappointed it does not take black and white photos, Didn't realise until after I bought it and now it is too late to change it. Such a let down on such a fantastic camera :(

9:11 pm - Tuesday, March 13, 2012

#4 venki

hd recording is awesome superb clarity right choice for every occasions ,more it sleek and giving more performance

4:59 pm - Tuesday, March 27, 2012

#5 Shakeel Ahmad Awan

I am new to photography and honestly don’t know much about camera’s , but my main requirement is ,
A heart touching photo with price range of Sonny cyber shot W620,
Please advise me, I don’t want to regret after I made a purchase,

Is W620/W630 is ok for still photography to be use by a beginner,

7:13 pm - Saturday, May 12, 2012

#6 Ashok Chauhan

Camera is Ok not that great.. lit bit expensive.. very disappointed with only 5X zoom

5:11 am - Sunday, May 13, 2012

#7 prasad

Hi recently i bought w630. To preview photo its taking 5 sec time for me. Please let me know is it same for every one.

11:17 am - Monday, May 14, 2012

#8 lee

i really love this sony cyber shot w630.... ^-^

2:54 am - Tuesday, May 22, 2012

#9 Linja

Yes, to preview the last taken photo (for the first time straight after you've taken the photo), it's taking more than a few seconds and it's quite annoying. When previewing the last taken photo again, it is fast. Don't know why it's so slow the first time. But otherwise, I like the camera.

12:29 am - Wednesday, May 30, 2012

#10 florin

U can gain some speed using a faster memory card. Buy a clas 10 card and I think U will see the diference. Excuse my english

7:58 pm - Friday, June 22, 2012

#11 RAJIB DEY

Sony W630 is a very high quality camera. It belong to one of the best quality cameras of India. Why best....? It has Carl Zeiss lens and 16.1 megapixel strength. you can't imagine about it's clarity. Use 16.1 Mpxl always properly. Follow it's manual carefully.

Regards
RAJIB DEY (KOLKATA)

12:20 pm - Tuesday, July 3, 2012

#12 danilo

Hi to everyone.
very slow preview image...a terrible 'feature'!
Any suggestion? I use an sdhc class 4.

See you

11:33 am - Monday, August 6, 2012

#13 D.M

I LOVE IT

11:46 am - Wednesday, September 26, 2012

#14 Gaurav ojha

I hv w630... It is very very good...i vry much luv it... With class 10 memory card u hv no complaint....!! HD recording is awesome n sweep panorama too...!! Sure Better than other camera...

6:51 pm - Monday, October 8, 2012

#15 Anannya

Sony W630, I have purchase it today, from ebay with 10% discount coupon, charge me euivalent to sony w610

12:15 pm - Friday, October 12, 2012

#16 Komal

I love this cemara

6:03 pm - Saturday, October 13, 2012

#17 jairam

what is the diff between sony lens and Carl Zeiss.
which lens is better?why?

plz help me guys...

i have sony Ericsson cybershot phone and i love that phone..

thanks in advance...

1:35 pm - Sunday, November 4, 2012

#18 sunil kumar

i have purchase w620 camera on 14\9\2012 after 10 days there is some problem in cam inside noise next igave this cam to near service center they repare this cam afer 14 day when i chk the cam they have broken out side body near flash this cam is now gave back to them i have no information about my cam plz take an immediate on this matter otherwise i will take other step to solve this problem

7:44 am - Monday, November 12, 2012

#19 Bright Bansah

What is the diff. between Carl Zeiss lense and the others? Is there an external memory attached to it?

Thanks and waiting to hear from u soon on this.

9:56 am - Monday, December 3, 2012

#20 RAJIB DEY

Carl Zeiss is a renowned brand of lenses. They are the manufacturer of different types of critical & heavy duty lenses. So it is better to purchase a model with Carl Zeiss lenses. It's sharpness is like extra ordinary.

10:36 am - Monday, December 3, 2012

#21 EBE

Very disapointed.. I don't asked much in term of image quality.. but this one is like a webcam to me..

Very happy with midle-high-end Sony's camera, entry budget product seems to be crap in other hand.

Should have bought panasonic's FS40 or FS45..
Something I'll do..

9:00 am - Friday, December 7, 2012

#22 Bhaskar Das

Can we change the shutter speed? If yes How?

12:47 pm - Thursday, December 13, 2012

#23 Zorki

To get the best stills out of this camera, typical for most of its class...

Use the lens at the widest focal-length.
Use the lens at maximum aperture, (f2.6 is already the equivalent of f8-f10 on a 35mm camera, in terms of DOF and diffraction).
Use the camera only ISO80-ISO100 to avoid smeared detail.
Use the camera at 5mp, not 16mp to minimise chroma noise.

Sony W630 plus points..

Very compact and discreet for an easy carry, (get a carrycase e.g ACME type that can go on your belt). The W630 is a useful, compact camera (i.e in Black) for street shots, from the hip, or when a bridge camera or DSLR is way too conspicuous).
Color isn't to saturated (especially for a Sony). In-camera JPEGs are not oversharpened - this is very good. Auto-focus assist lamp can be turned off.

W630 bad points...

Hardly any really for the price. Too much luma denoise above ISO100. A poor design choice for a camera made in 2012.

5:21 pm - Saturday, December 22, 2012

#24 venkatesh

Hi,

I am venkatesh from Bangalore, I have bought this camera one month back and I need to how to take clear photos from this camera?

3:02 am - Thursday, December 27, 2012

#25 Sam

Hi Venkatesh, just click on the button and make sure to turn on the camera befire clicking

7:11 pm - Thursday, December 27, 2012

#26 alek

I bought a camera Sonj 630 two days ago and so far I do not see any difference from my mobile phone with 3.2 pixel camera does satisfais in eny way

5:17 pm - Friday, December 28, 2012

#27 jen

I am very disappointed with the quality of pictures this camera takes. They are very hazy and i have tried all the settings but still cant get a decent pic

5:22 pm - Friday, December 28, 2012

#28 Sanajy

How view the videos from camera on TV. I tried to view video but its not possible ? I can view the photos only on tv. If someone knows please share

9:10 am - Wednesday, January 9, 2013

#29 Sanjay

How to view the videos from camera on TV. I tried to view video but its not possible ? I can view the photos only on tv. If someone knows please share

9:13 am - Wednesday, January 9, 2013

#30 sajjad hm

hi
I use w630 but i cant use from the smile detection sensitivity and how I can download more music for it?please help me

11:07 am - Wednesday, January 16, 2013

#31 Malyn

My husband bought Sony Cyber-shot W630 this December 2012. Quality is good and it's very handy. But the problem is after several used. I have experiences that when I need to use it the cam, the lens suddenly hang-up. It did not open when I need to use or did not close when I turned if off. I followed the instructions to turned it on and off. But just the same I can not use it because the lens was still open. What am I going to do?

3:12 am - Thursday, January 31, 2013

#32 indran

i have a sony DSC-W630.The video is good.Is it MP4 or what. I cant edit it for youtube,Help

12:38 pm - Saturday, February 2, 2013

#33 Subham

Yesterday i bought my new sony w630 model.am very much surprised after viewin its qualitiy. Its captered too much clear photo with a red eye lence.it is also awosme in low light..so i recomand u all to buy this model. It is far better than canon or nikon. I am really happy with it.

5:09 am - Saturday, February 23, 2013

#34 vandana

surprise! we brought camera but it doent work even after taking a photo. and dealer asked that we need to visit Sony service center...................

7:58 am - Saturday, March 23, 2013

#35 elizabeth bannerman

can someone tell me how to set a long exposure on the dsc-w630 i don't see it anywhere in the manual.

3:56 pm - Wednesday, April 17, 2013

#36 MELKIE TADDESE

I like this camera the only problem is small opyical zoom.

1:52 pm - Sunday, June 23, 2013

#37 mahadev prasad kudaravalli

this camera is really cool in its price range.the 720 hd video is really fantastic.the images are superb in sufficient lighting conditions.but there seems to be a problem while joining panoramic shots.the pictures are not pasted perfectly .though there is no problem when there is sufficient light.over all this camera is superb and is worth it's money.

12:09 pm - Friday, December 13, 2013