Sony DSC-H5 and Sony DSC-H2

February 25, 2006 | Mark Goldstein | Digital Compact Cameras, PMA Show 2006 | 241 Comments |

Sony DSC-H5PMA 2006: The Sony DSC-H5 and Sony DSC-H2 ultra-zooms digital cameras are announced at PMA today. 12x optical zoom lenses, 7.2 and 6 megapixels respectively, 3 inch and 2 inch LCD screens. The Cyber-shot DSC-H5 camera will be available in May for about $500 and the DSC-H2 model ships in April for about $400.

Sony USA Press Release

ORLANDO, Fla., (PMA 2006, Booth #4150), Feb. 25, 2006 — Sony is expanding its high-zoom digital still camera line with two new Cyber-shot® models that are sure to zero in on the subjects you most desire. Clad in black, the new DSC-H5 model has a 7.2-megapixel CCD imager and extra-large, three-inch LCD screen. It also shimmers in silver along with the stage-worthy DSC-H2 model, which has a six-megapixel imager and two-inch LCD. Both cameras flaunt Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar 12x optical zoom lenses and focal length ranges of 36 to 432 millimeters (35 mm equivalence). “High-zoom cameras are one of the fastest-growing segments in the industry,” said James Neal, director of digital imaging products at Sony Electronics. “They are powerful enough to get those hard-to-see distant shots, and have the easy-to-use functionality of point-and-shoot cameras.

Ready, Steady, Shoot
Even without the steadiest of hands (or subjects), the cameras’ anti-blur technologies ensure challenging shots can be executed with ease.

These new models incorporate Sony’s Super SteadyShot® optical image stabilization to help reduce image blur caused by hand movement. Because these cameras feature high-light sensitivity settings up to IS0 1000, fast-moving cars and people along the boulevard can also be captured with considerably less blur and graininess. Sony’s Clear RAW™ noise reduction technology minimizes picture noise, making it easier to shoot at faster shutter speeds.

These anti-blur technologies are an advantage when shooting in low-light conditions, such as outdoor shots in the evening or inside dark museums. These shots can be taken without a flash, resulting in naturally-exposed images that truly capture the drama and atmosphere of the moment. And, you can get as close as you want with the cameras’ significant macro mode of three-quarters of an inch.

You Are Big! The Cameras Got Smaller - And Smarter
The new H-series cameras are substantial, without feeling bulky, and feature a comfortable grip with controls easily accessible by thumb.

You can count on detailed image previews using the H5 model’s three-inch, high-resolution LCD screen, with a pixel count of 230K and Sony’s Clear Photo LCD Plus™ technology. The LCD features high-quality color reproduction and displays pictures with vivid clarity.

Sony’s ultra-fast Real Imaging Processor™ circuitry increases both models’ battery efficiency for quicker start-up, faster shot-to-shot times, higher-quality movie capture, and longer battery life. The H5 camera delivers up to 340 shots on a single charge, while the H2 model offers 400 shots per charge.

The new cameras include auto-exposure and multi-point, auto-focus features along with pre-set scene modes customized for specific shooting conditions, all working silently in the background while you concentrate on the “center-stage” action. When greater creative control is needed, aperture/shutter priority and manual exposure modes are available options.

Both models have 32MB of internal memory, which can be expanded with an optional Memory Stick Duo™ media card or Memory Stick PRO Duo™ card, now available in capacities up to four gigabytes.

My Autograph, Please
Make the most of your close-ups by producing high-quality prints. Simply connect these models to a Sony DPP-FP50 digital photo printer and produce lab-quality photos at home. You can even create postcards for all of your budding fans with the printer’s supplied software.

With Sony’s ImageStation® online photo service, you can expand your options to print tens or even hundreds of pictures, create online photo and video albums, or make customized gifts such as photo books and calendars.

Bundled accessories include rechargeable AA NiMH batteries, charger, lens hood with adaptor and lens cap with strap, and USB and AV output cables. Options include a wide conversion lens (VCL-DH0758) for about $150, a tele-end conversion lens (VCL-DH1758) for about $150, a close-up lens (VCL-M3358) for about $70, a jacket case (LCJ-HC) for about $50, and a soft carrying case (LCS-HA) for about $40.

Both models can be purchased direct at Sonystyle.com, Sony Style® retail stores (http://www.sonystyle.com/retail), and authorized dealers nationwide. Pre-orders begin today at http://www.sony.com/h5 and www.sony.com/h2.

Sony DSC-H5

Sony DSC-H5

Sony DSC-H2

Sony DSC-H2

#1 nick in japan

Packing those pixels into the same size sensor makes a great comparison for this trio of Sony "H" series! The image/noise evals that will be showing up will determine the future of these cameras. Can't understand why the 1/2.5" sensor ended up in this platform, here we go again, one step foward, and........

1:25 pm - Sunday, February 26, 2006

#2 GARY POGODA

I believe 7.2 megapixels is a world record for a 1/2.5" CCD.

The icing on the cake will be the DIWA award. :)

2:40 pm - Sunday, February 26, 2006

#3 Disgruntled Consumer

:mad: This is just a ploy that great companies like Sony and (sadly) Canon employ to make the consumer bend over and take it in. Its about time that people do not fall for these marketing gimics (7MP quality > 5MP - keeping the sensor size the same itty-bitty 1/2.5" or even 1/1.8" on some 8MP ones) and make these companies get off their butts and bring out some large size sensors .. maybe even switch to a more efficient CMOS large size sensor. Large format sensors more expensive? - let the consumer decide whether they want marketing gimics like 5MP,6MP,7.2MP,8MP or some serious low noise ISO 800+ larger format CCD/CMOS sensors for a few hundred extra. :angry:

4:11 pm - Sunday, February 26, 2006

#4 nick in japan

Wow! We are all on the same page for this one, so far!

10:37 pm - Sunday, February 26, 2006

#5 Dave frae Scotland

Sony reckon they've improved performance of CCD by reducing the gap between photosites - thus allowing them to be larger. So we may be surprised but like anyone else I'll reserve judgement until we see some full-size samples and reviews.
Larger sensor = larger lens: just look at how big/heavy the R1 24-120mm is with APS size sensor. H series would end up being extremely front heavy / expensive.

1:38 am - Thursday, March 9, 2006

#6 Paul Camillus John

:-) I have been using DSC h1 since October 2005 and I am happy with the performance,I hope certain minor problems like Battery life and the focus quality has been improved in the h2 & h5, H1 is also a Japanease make I hope h2 & h5 also made in Japan. In the H1 the zoom is good but the movie quality is poor

11:05 am - Tuesday, March 28, 2006

#7 nick in japan

From what I've seen , the only problem Sony has here in this series is the sensor size, lottsa great features otherwise!

11:49 am - Tuesday, March 28, 2006

#8 bob

OK Just what do you do if you want to buy a megazoom the fuji 9000/9500 has a good wide angle and iso1600 which is just usable the Samsung 815 has a big zoom but just usable iso 400 and a slow shutter, the Sony Dsc-r1 is great but mega expensive and a small zoom compared to the others I don't want to carry lots of lenses, I hope when this Sony is reviewed it comes up with a good shutter speed and the iso 1000 is usable and photo quality is good.

6:00 pm - Wednesday, April 5, 2006

#9 Sukesh Bansal

The biggest advantage of H2 and H5 is that we can use optical zoom during movie recording. some other advantages are

1. Carl Zesiss Lens
2. Battery life extended
3. Flash Range Doubled
4. Enhanced ISO Sensitivity upto 1000
5. Pixel doubled in EVF
6. Supplied software changed Picture Package to Cybershot 1.0

You can check detail on

6:13 pm - Wednesday, April 5, 2006

#10 Allen Million

ready to buy cybershot type digital camera. H1 Sony looks good but H2 sounds better so waiting to see reviews on H2. Only for personal use and have been happy with the old Mavica of 1.3MP and floppy disc so this has to be better. Always said needed a 35MM type camera in digital so looks like they have them now

1:30 am - Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#11 nick in japan

Beauty is skin deep,wonderful features, sensor is way too small to effectively utilize features, better shop around! IMHO.

2:36 am - Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#12 Olivier_G

I guess you know that a bigger sensor requires a larger lens...

Lens' size is critical, Sensor's size is not that important

10:20 am - Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#13 nick in japan

... unless you want to have a pixel count high enough to be able to play with, to produce quality prints! These sensors are great if all you do is e-mail.

11:01 am - Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#14 Olivier_G

Huh? The current 6MP 1/2.5" seems to be quite efficient (usable 400 ISO for A4 print size. Check what Neat-Image can do with those: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/review/2006/03/31/3558.html)..
What you are asking for is actually sharp and large lenses with reasonnable range... not necessary larger sensors.
And if you want more than 8MP... don't forget to bring your tripod with your compact digicam.

12:13 pm - Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#15 nick in japan

Oliver, I am delighted that you are happy with what you have! I, personally dont care for what I get from the smaller, CCD, sensors, compared to the larger ones and, the CMOS that have spoiled me. The 1/ 1.65 in my LX-1 is adequate, but I wish it was a CMOS instead, or even a MOS the same size. My point and shoot Kodak V570 and Pentax S6 both have the 1/2.5 sensors, and are obviously not up to the quality of the larger sensors. My comments about Sony's "H" series have been critical because I ,also, am the proud user/ owner of the F505K, 707, 717 and the wonderful 828, and, I like Sony alot, BUT, I'm pissed that they didnt put a larger sensor in the "H" series. If they had done that, I would have bought that complete series too!!!

10:37 pm - Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#16 Sandy

I tried hard to find the detail about the manual focus on Sony DSC-H5 and Sony DSC-H2 but could not find on any web site. I would be highly impressed if Sony has provided manual focus ring and zoom ring on the lens as I had been using in film SLR camera. But it seems they are not there in this camera. I would also like to know the noise level in this model having small sensor.
I still feel Panasonic DMC FZ 30 is a better choice.

7:23 pm - Thursday, April 20, 2006

#17 dave holend

this is a crap camera. it has no senser. i was gutted when i found it didn't have a senser. what good is carl with no cmso. the battery run out as well. 2 inches is not enough it is hard to see.

2:45 pm - Thursday, July 13, 2006

#18 luke

i'd just like to say the comment above is MARVELOUS.

hahahahaha

9:17 pm - Tuesday, September 12, 2006

#19 giu

I was delighted with the DSC-H2 (zoom, battery life) until I printed some photos, few of them made with my former Olympus D-540. I must say that the Olympus ones are far more bright, vivid coloured than the Sony ones. The difference is huge. Yesterday I found another interesting thing about the DSC I hadn't used for about a week: the shutter button isn't anymore, it disappeared. Finally I found it somewhere on the carpet together with the spring but a part is stil missing as the button cannot release the shutter anymore. I will contact the service.
In other words, if I were now, I wouldn't buy it anymore.

6:15 am - Saturday, September 16, 2006

#20 Omar

The H5 seems quite impressive on paper, in comparison to other cameras available. Can someone explain to me the importance of the sensor size as this camera is reviewed badly because of it and i'm a bit of a novice so dont know.
Thanks

12:50 pm - Wednesday, January 10, 2007

#21 Nader

a week after i bought it , the shutter button stopped locikng the focus when pressed halfway :(

8:53 am - Saturday, January 20, 2007

#22 giu

Dear Nader,
It seems that these cameras have a conceptual error regarding the shutter button!
After repair works in service (read my previous message at no. 19), the auto-focus (locking) worked for no more than 30-50 photos and after that stopped. A week ago the problem with the broken button came again and the camera is back in service.
I experiienced the same problem with the non-working focus locking when pressed halfway with a DSC H5 (a friend has one) so it's clear that they have a technical problem! I was happy (of course not for your problem) to hear that someone else has the same problem as I thought I have a problem as a user. I strongly recommend you to send the camera in service!

7:11 am - Monday, February 5, 2007

#23 Yair Merlin

i had de same problem with the shutter button
when pressed halfway with DSC-H2.

7:26 am - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#24 Marcelo

i had de same problem with the shutter button
when pressed halfway with DSC-H5. In this page, http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=28026
any users have the same problem!!!

2:46 pm - Thursday, February 22, 2007

#25 Tao

I'm having the same troubles with the shutter release button. Was out taking photos at a demonstration, and all of sudden stopped working good. I'm gonna send it in though. Thanks for the advice.

12:53 am - Wednesday, March 7, 2007

#26 Theresa sires

Hi . . . the shutter button fell off of my Sony DSC-H2 also . . . . nothing caused it to fall off, it just fell off . . and doesn't work any more, and Sony will charg $180 to service . . . too much . . . thanks .. just figured I would let you know it happened to another person.

5:50 am - Saturday, March 10, 2007

#27 Mark

I notice many like to jump on the band wagon with shutter button problems. I wonder how many of those with problems abuse their cameras? Or jam the shutter button down on any camera with too much force? Just because some of you had problems and few you are is no reason to down a great camera which for most people worked flawlessly.

6:59 pm - Saturday, March 17, 2007

#28 Theresa sires

I don't quite understand the defensiveness of post number 27 . . . as I mentioned in my comment "nothing caused it to fall off, it just fell off". I was taking very good care of the camera, and I really liked it . . . but when the shutter button fell off it didn't work any more. Others (not just in this blog) seem to have had the same problem, so it seems that there is an issue with the design.

10:20 pm - Sunday, March 18, 2007

#29 chudez

thank goodness! i thought i was the only one with problems with the H2's shutter button. as for post #27, please be assured that i don't jam on the shutter button with excessive force ... this camera is an expensive investment for me and as such, i take very good care of it.

4:26 am - Monday, March 19, 2007

#30 vish

ok. so this sony h2/h5 is a bad camera with frequent service problems and a non-effective shutter button, is it?
thanks for the views. i was about to buy it. i will now buy a S3 or a FZ7.

12:00 pm - Saturday, March 31, 2007

#31 kishan

hii, i too own a h5 n face the same problem with shutter release button. is there any better solution for this problem...

9:00 am - Tuesday, April 3, 2007

#32 giu

My camera came back from service 2-3 weeks ago with the shutter release assembly and the mode selector assembly (this one is a block together with the power and steady shot buttons) changed. The bad parts were in the new parts original boxes. I had to pay about 100EUR as they submitted an off-warranty report due to abusive operation (I have more than 20 years photographic experience with different cameras but I didn't broke any by now)?!? Fortunately, my company paid for the repair. I took a few pictures with the broken parts but unfortunately I cannot attach them here. It's very interesting that the focus lock started again it's malfunction. By the moment, I found that it's enough to knock slightly the camera with the finger in front or the right side and it starts working again. I wish you all could see the pictures and how weak are built these two parts (believe me, it's incredible cheap plastic!). This is unacceptable for a company like Sony and unpleasant for me that the faults come back so soon after service! I'll send it back to service but this time I won't pay any money!

1:09 pm - Saturday, April 7, 2007

#33 alan whalon

Terry,

If you see this please email me at: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). I retired from the NPS last year and live in Mancos now. We can talk about your camera issues! Hope you all are well,

Alan

4:15 pm - Saturday, April 7, 2007

#34 steve

I am glad to see I am not the only one with the H2 shutter button problem. Mine detached from the camera and stuck to my finger. What great craftmanship....

5:53 pm - Friday, April 13, 2007

#35 Bill

Yet, unfortunately, I am another user with H2 shutter button problem. I was using it at Yosimite National Park. The camera was on a tripod, one photo it was on, the next photo I was suprised to find no button to press. I was taking single shots with timer. No excessive pressing. I was just fortunate to have it on tripod and found the button on the groud. Sony has a problem. It will be interesting to see how they address it. Class action???, I'm in...

7:09 am - Saturday, April 14, 2007

#36 Dan

Thanks guys. You saved my bucks! ;-)

3:18 am - Sunday, April 15, 2007

#37 Bob

Yea my shutter buton popped of too with the spring and it was always hard to shoot. Sometimes the button wouldn't respond properly. But otherwise I am happy with the camera because ignorance is bliss and this is the first camera I've ever bought.

3:33 pm - Monday, April 16, 2007

#38 César Castro

This must be a design problem, because 2 months ago the shutter button of my H2 just flew away. Gone to service, one month after I got the machine back. This was 2 weeks ago and today the same shutter just did the same thing and learn to fly. This a fragile machine and Sony should take some action.

7:43 pm - Wednesday, April 18, 2007

#39 Andrea

My shutter button just fell off today and the camera has refused to focus (until it's already taking the picture) for some time now. I can't imagine that this is anything but a manufacturers defect and therefore covered by warranty!?! I'm even more concerned about these problems happening again shortly after repair. Has anyone had a good experience after the focus stopped working or the shutter button fell off?

8:40 am - Monday, April 23, 2007

#40 Soumyajit

Thanks Guys... U saved my money.. I was planning to buy the new Sony H9.. But I guess they have kept the same design even there...Can anyone with the H9 have any such similar issue??

2:50 am - Thursday, April 26, 2007

#41 Andrea

Well, my camera is being repaired. The guy at Sony said that it would be covered by the warranty. He must have said 5 or 10 times, that this is "NOT A KNOWN PROBLEM" and I kept asking him why he would say that when clearly it is a problem with the camera. He completely disregarded any photography forums and while I agree that you need to be critical of what you read online, there is no reason why anyone would make this up and take the time to post it. Nor would we all come up with exactly the same story. So they're replacing my shutter button with the same piece of crap that it came with. I will be livid if it breaks again.

Is there anyone who has had their camera repaired and have it work with no problems after?

At this point I would have to say that Sony is only concerned with selling their product, not standing behind it.

6:56 am - Thursday, April 26, 2007

#42 Greg

I found this site while researching my own DSC-H2 problem, which sound much the same as the other problems reported here. Here's my blog post, with pics of the offending button and spring: http://www.thelope.com/2007/03/sony-dsc-h2-problems.html

I actually have to update the post as the focus lock on my most recent DSC-H2 (my third, after two exchanges) has now failed.

1:29 am - Friday, April 27, 2007

#43 Alex

i bought a sony H5 last year and I have re-enterd my fotocamera twice for the same problem the shutter-focus button doesn't work as it has to normaly when you press it half it focus'ses your image but it doesn't
does anyone has the a simulair problem?

thanks Alex

PS sorry for my bad english

8:44 pm - Tuesday, May 1, 2007

#44 Quinton

Hi Alex

I have exactly the same problem and it is frustrating! I havent send mine in so far but by the sound of it things don't look good. Otherwise the camera is perfect, I get great shots and the soom is perfect for that long distance photos. I realy love the camera its just that one problem.

2:01 pm - Friday, May 4, 2007

#45 damien

Hi,
I bought a Sony DSC-H5 two months ago for my trip in Australia. For 3 weeks I have the same problem: When I half press the shutter button, nothing happens! and autofocus doesn't work. But sometimes it works. I wonder if it is a mechanical problem or just a bug.
I don't know what to do because I bought the camera in France (I am french) and the warranty doesn t work in Australia. Furthermore, I am worried this problem happens again after repairing if Sony hasn't fixed the problem yet!

2:03 pm - Sunday, May 6, 2007

#46 Alex

I have the same problem. I bought my camera on the sony site (sony style), after 3 months the autofocus button doesn't work. so i enterd my camera to a sonyshop and i had to pay because i bought it from internet.
now a year later the same problem. Sony sucks.
and i use to be a sony fan.

4:39 pm - Sunday, May 6, 2007

#47 Nishchal

I hate sony H5, Its the worst camera i ever used. I had bought 2 Sony DSC H5 for my ofice and personal use. Both has click button problems. One dosen't take photos any more. I am from Nepal, it cost me nearly 450$. When i went to service center they infrom it's half the price to make it.

Don't you ever buy Sony products, they have no quality.

4:57 am - Tuesday, May 8, 2007

#48 Hans

I sent the following e-mail to Sony today;

What about the ubiquitous shutter button problem on the DSC-H series camera, notably the DSC-H2 and DSC-H5 ? The internet is full of reports that the autofocus stops functioning after only 10 to 15 days and of the button suddenly coming off the casing ? For myself, I have now the third DSC-H2 after I exchanged the 2 previous specimen after only 10 days each when the autofocus did not work any more when halfpressing down the shutter button. I expect the same to happen with the third one.

What about the new model DSC-H9 ? If you have not eliminted this design flaw, you will be grilled on the internet. I advise to communicate to the few maybe still loyal customer what you have done and what you intend to do with the existing frustrated customers.

A formerly loyal Sony customer

Hans Wyssmann

6:03 pm - Tuesday, May 15, 2007

#49 Greg

Bravo, Hans; that was very well-worded. I suggest we all follow up with Sony in a similar diplomatic but firm manner. I have also urged Office Max to pressure Sony into a recall. I just swapped out my third DSC-H2 for my 4th last week. Less than 24 hours later the focus lock had already stopped working. I guess I'm looking at swapping for a fifth one, though I'd hoped I'd have a chance to trade it for a DSC-H7 by now. Does anyone know if the H7 has the same problem? I'd rather not stay with Sony, but my extended warranty binds me to whatever Office Max carries.

7:49 pm - Tuesday, May 15, 2007

#50 Goran

Autofocus on half-press shutter button stop functioning on my H5 after 8 months. Everything other is quite well on H5, some property is great. But what is the best solution to do with this problem? Change to H7 or ...?

8:26 pm - Wednesday, May 16, 2007

#51 Alex

Dear Hans,

If the sony service let you pay for your a sony h5 that is still in warranty, because i bought it from the sony site?
And the problem returns after a few months?
I think that is a really bad service, and it seems to me that lots of other people think the same. so why would we buy the h9, if sony can't even fix a simple button error on the H5?
its a same of the money I spent on sony

a ex-loyal sony customer
Alex
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

9:44 pm - Wednesday, May 16, 2007

#52 Ben

I had the same problem with my shutter button popping off of my H2 and sailing off into the netherworld... After reading the posts on here, and not really wanting to send the camera in for repairs, and a $180.00 repair bill to boot, I decided to try another approach. I called the Sony repair line, spoke w/ a CSR, and just ordered the parts. Total price for the parts was $18.61, which includes the shutter and spring, and $6.95 for shipping, for a grand total of $27.22. Call, and ask to purchase part number X21083251. Should be here in 7-10 days. Hope that helps someone out there.

8:48 pm - Friday, May 18, 2007

#53 Greg

Ben, thanks for the suggestion about ordering parts, but can you let us know if the half-way pressed focus lock stopped working before the button popped off? If so, I don't know that just replacing the spring and button would help. It will be interesting to know if it does.

Also, I have an idea. From reading this and other forums, it seems that perhaps the problem occurred only in the more recent production runs. I suggest we compare serial numbers to see if there is a pattern. My brother bought a DSC-H2 last summer, #3549633, and it has performed flawlessly. I didn't keep track of my first three DSC-H2 seriel numbers (I started buying in the fall), but the most recent one is #3715569 and its focus lock stopped working in less than 24 hours.

That's only a difference of 165,936, and the serial numbers might not be applied consecutively relating to production, but if more data comes in, it might give us a rough correlation.

If we could find a pattern, perhaps those of us who can exchange our cameras could do so for older stock not affected by the defect.

10:25 pm - Friday, May 18, 2007

#54 Alex

4500508 thats my sony h5 serial but its made in europe

9:42 am - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#55 Hans

That's the answer to my e-mail of May 15 I got from Sony on May 17:

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Sony.

Please accept our sincere apologies. Due to a technical failure in one of our email servers, your recent email to us was unreadable. This issue has now been resolved and we were able to retrieve your email address. Unfortunately we could not rebuild the text of your question. If you still require our assistance, please contact us again:

Thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Your Sony Online Support Team

Unquote

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.......

I ask myself do these guys think their customers are really so stupid as to accept this bullshitting ?

Hans

2:40 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#56 Bob

Ben, since you have ordered the parts, it would be really cool if you posted back how hard it was to install and if it in fact worked after the repair. Maybe you know what is involved in the BUTTON install, I don't. It sounds like good idea buying the parts for $25 and doing it yourself if it doesn't mean to much disassembly.

7:08 pm - Saturday, May 19, 2007

#57 Ben

As soon as I get the parts, I would be more than happy to let you know how it turns out. As to the question about the focus lock working before my button popped out, I honestly can't remember. I didn't use the camera a whole lot, and my wife was the one using it when the button went sailing. I will let you all know if it works when I get it all together again.

9:30 pm - Tuesday, May 22, 2007

#58 Marcel

I just got back from a holiday, and really, it annoys me when I read all that crap about sharp pictures in difficult conditions, and steady shots an stuff. So many pictures came out blurry for no reason. I found a tiny bit of dust inside the lens but I’m not sure if that would affect the result of the picture? I think that multy focusing thing it's a pain and it doesn't work out what it should be focusing properly, reason why so many pictures came out blurry.

Also I find it pretty poor that I can’t adjust the brightness of the screen other than from normal to brighter and that’s it. Not sure if I did well buying this camera. Maybe next time I’ll just go and get Canon…

12:02 pm - Thursday, May 24, 2007

#59 Shamesh

Sony !!!.. I have DSC-W100 model camera, during one of the get together, it stoped to record videos, its dial seems to working all wrong. and best part is it has been only 6 months since i brought that camera. I am in Nepal now and that camera was gifted by my cousin from US.. BIG PROBLEM !!!!!

1:14 pm - Friday, May 25, 2007

#60 churchley

I have had problems with a Sony Handycam and with a short wave radio, which I feel must be due to poor quality, and am not impressed with their service and information arrangements. It is my intention never to buy Sony again.

3:45 pm - Sunday, May 27, 2007

#61 Alex

Dear Shamesh,
The electric frequence is differint in the US (60Hz). I think in Nepal it is 50 hz in europe also 50Hz
If you buy an electrial divice from the US you have to pay attention to the hertz, because your device will work for like a week

4:24 pm - Sunday, May 27, 2007

#62 Carlos Diaz

Thanks a lot for the shutter button part number, I will be ordering it soon. I couldn't believe Sony wanted 200 USD to repair this defect (in Venezuela). I do not want to harm my camera further, can you tell me how to dissassemble it without causing further damage. By the way, I babied that camera and was surprised when the button just came off after pressing it very lightly (stright up and down no sideways or any other motion)
Please count me in on a class action against Sony, this is not the company I grew up respecting.

10:58 pm - Sunday, May 27, 2007

#63 Carlos Diaz

Forgot to mention serial number on my camera is 3533898 (model DSC H5) purchased in Best Buy in Houston summer 2006 (shutter fell off a month later, but to late, I was back in Venezuela and Sony did not honor their world wide warranty.

11:03 pm - Sunday, May 27, 2007

#64 Ben

OK, the button finally arrived this morning. I used my pocket knife to remove the silver bezel that the old button sat in. It just popped out without any trouble. When you look at the new button assembly, you will notice that there are 2 small tabs that hold the bezel onto the body of the camera. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING THE NEW BUTTON!!! I accidentally broke one of the tabs off when installing the new button. To remedy the situation, I used a drop of superglue on the edge of the bezel and affixed it to the body. Not the most professional way to repair this, but it works. It is a bit tricky to get the button in place and still not break off the plastic tabs. The camera functions fine, and the autofocus works with no problem. Just ask yourself before doing this if you are willing to possibly jury rig the button with glue if the same thing happens to you. If not, send it the factory and let them fix it. Hope this helps out.

5:45 pm - Tuesday, May 29, 2007

#65 Carlos Diaz

Thanks Ben, many many thanks, that little piece of info was what I needed (got the old button out with my fingernail, and yes I ruined one tab getting it out, and then ruined the other one getting the old one back in, so your warning is right on the money-those things are extremely fragile). Tested camera with a very soft round stick and both autofocus and trigger work so now order the part from Sony and be happy with my camera again. Owe you at least a beer.

7:06 pm - Tuesday, May 29, 2007

#66 Dean Weingarten

I purchased a Sony DSCH2 in June of 2006. I had the shutter button break in November 2006 the first time, and now in April 2007 the second time. Sony fixed it the first time under warranty and will fix it this time as well... But I am quite worried about the third time, which will likely not be under warranty.

In order to keep my camera functional until I send it in, I used a piece of ordinary transparent tape to hold the shutter button in place. It seems to work adequately, but is obviously a makeshift arrangement. Still, if I had a broken DSC, at least it makes the camera functional.

I will not be buying another Sony.

11:51 pm - Tuesday, May 29, 2007

#67 jason

i bought my sony dsc h5 several months ago now and i have only started to use it seriously within the last four months.i find the camera to be of low quality focus and although it has very good intentions it produces too many focal problems as i read above.you take a pic and when you get home its blurry or out of focus in one area or lense fringe etc etc. i highly advise not to buy sony camera for serious photography.

4:41 pm - Wednesday, May 30, 2007

#68 César Castro

Hy, after 2º repair I got today my DSC-H2 back from repair because of the flying shutter . Lets wait and see what happens because after I wrote a claim to Sony Portugal, I got an email back where Sony stated that this problem was recognized by Sony Europe and that an internal service bulletin had been issued to all the Sony's repair services with some kind of indication on the type of repair.

Again we will see....

César Castro

7:26 pm - Wednesday, May 30, 2007

#69 sony user

I bought the Sony H5 in December 2006. After 4 months and 1,000 shots the half-press shutter problem occurred. Since I live overseas and bought the camera in the US, it is out of warranty. I replaced the switch-block control at the Sony service. It cost me 100 USD including the service. The camera works fine now. Here is the part: 147966621

4:56 pm - Thursday, May 31, 2007

#70 Shamesh

dear Alex,
thank-x for your concern, but as i never connect my camera directly to main line and i only use battery, the electric frequency might not be the problem.

regards,
Shamesh

5:14 am - Friday, June 1, 2007

#71 Joe

Regarding the H-2. I have owned since August of last year.

I have like other owners of this camera, some shortcomings as well as some good features.

Question: I am an amateur and wonder what the relationship is between the following.

The setting in my camera allows me to set my image size to 6mp. I am assuming that my images will be upwards of 6mp when I take them. However, when downloading them to my computer, I find the average size runs about 1.8 mp. Am I missing something? Or does the 6mp size indicated has nothing to do with the final size of the image?

Mainly curious.

Thanks for any comments.

8:04 pm - Saturday, June 2, 2007

#72 jason

hello i have the h5 and when i select 7 million pixels and then put them on my computer that is what they are.make sure when you go to your menu and select pixel size you press the little round button in the middle of all your buttons,just to make sure it is selected correctly.if not,it maybe a fault!!

8:29 pm - Saturday, June 2, 2007

#73 Joe

Thanks Jason for responding. I select the 6mp in the menu and the downloaded images are taken in .jpg format and take and download at about 1.8 mp to 2.5 mp. Strange. Probably something to do with the sensor on the camera.

Interesting to note. I take an image. The size measures: 2112 x 2816 and when you do the figures, it comes out just shy of 6mp. However, the file that is saved in .jpg format says 2.5 mp. Wierd. I guess I will never understand the workings of digital photography.

Thanks for responding.

11:05 pm - Saturday, June 2, 2007

#74 Gary's Parries

Joe, the 6MP setting refers to the number of 'pixels' in the image (as
you have already calculated) not the file size. File size is determined
by the combination of two settings: (1) the number of pixels, and (2)
the JPEG compression quality level (i.e., Fine or Standard), with Fine
producing larger file sizes but fewer artifacts than Standard.

12:58 pm - Sunday, June 3, 2007

#75 Joe

Hi Gary. Sounds logical when it is spelled out. Now I am still sounding like an amateur...what is an "artifact" with referrence to the Standard size file? Are you indicating that I may want to take shots in Standard rather than Fine settings? on occasion. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I place a lot of my images on PhotoSIG and sometimes I get some decent shots, while other times I do not.

Also, lately I have been trying to take images as portraits (models are HARD to come by for me) and my images are being IGNORED, even though I think they are decent ones. Strange. But that is life.

Thanks for responding and offering the answer to my original question. It is greatly appreciated.

I am looking to get rid of my H2 soon. I will be investing in a Nikon D40 or 40x as soon as get paid for a commission I am working on (not photography, but art).

I plan to attempt to sell the entire kit and kabodool of my H2 I currently own on eBay.

1:20 am - Monday, June 4, 2007

#76 Gary's Parries

Artifacts are distortions caused by the loss of information that occurs
from JPEG compression. Since Standard quality is more compressed
than Fine it has more artifacts, which is the price you have to pay for
having smaller file sizes. You probably want to use Fine quality all the
time, unless for some reason you need to conserve memory.

The D40/D40x is an excellent camera. Good luck with your portraits.

1:57 am - Monday, June 4, 2007

#77 Joe

Thanks again Gary. I always use the Fine setting.

1:04 pm - Monday, June 4, 2007

#78 NallK

It is fantastic to know about the 'quick fix' replacement procedure reported! The Sony Repair manual does not provide the method to replace the shutter button. They show the 'disassembly' steps. Following those steps, you would reach the shutter button almost at the end starting from behind!! Does anyone know the systemmatic way to replace these BUTTONS? Will the surrounding black plastic piece come out when those two screws are removed? Anyone knows?

2:28 am - Monday, June 11, 2007

#79 NallK

In my previous comment/ question I refer to DSC-H2 model camera.

2:32 am - Monday, June 11, 2007

#80 Brian

Not that it makes a diff, but heres my gripe to sony regarding the dsc-h2 shutter prob!

I'm writing as a former Samsung customer! After buying a T.V., a refridgerator, a dvd player, and a cell phone from Samsung all of which purchased in the last 2 months, 3 of which have malfunctioned in some way! I decided to start throwing my money at sony instead of Samsung! After buying this camera (3 days after) the shutter button stopped functioning correctly. When depressed half-way it does not auto-focus even after initialization/resetting the camera and ensuring the correct settings. I assure you I was raised to appreciate my belongings and to maintain and treat my electronics and all others items very well! Upon research I discovered countless people with the exact same problem and some with worse problems using the dsc-h2, consistently and on a broad scale. Rather than deal with horrible customer service and jump thru hoops for sony just to get a product that works as described, I will take my money elsewhere! I have voiced my willingness to support the class-action law suit based on the aforementioned issue! Thanks for your time if anyone there at Sony made it this far into my message!?!

Brian C. Little

7:53 am - Thursday, June 14, 2007

#81 Brian

Yes I spelled refrigerator correctly before sending to Sony LOL! sorry,

7:57 am - Thursday, June 14, 2007

#82 Cathleen Hamilton, Buyer 1

I am a buyer for my County. I just bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H7 for our Risk Manager. We did research on several cameras (sadly we found this site too late), and he decided on this one. After approximately 15 pictures he had to charge the batteries, then when he went to turn the camera back on nothing happened. We are in the begining stages of what "hoops we will have to jump through". I wish I had googled the problems with Sony Cameras before we bought.

5:05 pm - Thursday, July 5, 2007

#83 Bryan

I had the same shutter button problem. Bought the H2 in June 2006. Right after one year when the warranty expired, the shutter button popped off during my trip in Yosemite. Just checked the H7/H9 at a local store and found that they have the same design as H2. I will buy Canon S5 as replacement instead.

7:50 am - Saturday, July 7, 2007

#84 Paul Whelan

Got my Sony DSC-H2 last summer (2006) (serial 3609949) On my first real vacation with it this year. I had noticed the problem with the autofocus button and that sometimes it wouldn't even take the picture when depressed and held down....caused me to miss a lot of good pictures....but just figured that I needed to go and read the manual to figure out why it wasn't doing as expected. Then today in the car going down the highway, something whizzed past my face....I looked down and like others have reported the shutter button was gone. Found the button but no way in h*LL I'm paying Sony to repair this clearly defective product. Where do I go to rate this camera online to give Sony the bad rep they seem to deserve here.

3:14 am - Sunday, July 15, 2007

#85 Bajan

Same problem with a DSC-H2.. Button came off in the protective case. Spring was there as well.

Camera treated like a baby picture, case, picture, case...

I agree with all above a design problem. Shaft is too thin, and the material is too weak to be kept under constant tension by the spring.

3:37 pm - Thursday, July 19, 2007

#86 Zeke

Yep. The same problem here -- started on vacation in Baja California when camera was two months old. Sony repaired it under warranty -- no problem, no charge -- but yesterday the problem returned. I will be using my husband's old camera until I decide what to replace the Sony with. It takes such good photos!

1:49 pm - Friday, July 20, 2007

#87 Mich

Same problem here! The stupid shutter button flew away I only noticed when trying to make another picture! Bought in US used in EU - they want 100+ EUR to repair this! God, I'm mad! I was happy otherwize with this camera as a hi-end soap-box, though it loses to my previous F717 in most everything but megapixels and one-hand operation, which I need.
Shit...

9:27 pm - Thursday, July 26, 2007

#88 Elton

My Sony H2 also stopped working the auto-focus function while pressing the sutter button halfway.. God that is so frustrating, because first we think it´s a menu setting, and we keep changing settings till the problem fixes.. however there´s no fix unless you send it to service

I´m so disappointed

7:12 pm - Thursday, August 9, 2007

#89 elton

Hi guys

Yes i discovered one solution, but Sony will not recommend it, as they will not earn with it.

The solution is changing the printed circuit membrane which detects the halfway click on the shutter button. But change in this case isnt´t only changing for a new one, but instead you have to put a DIFFERENT one.

The pre-focus takes place when you press halfway the shutter, and 2 membrane circuits touch each other. As a technician told me, with usage wear, these two membranes happen to stay sticked, and the pre focus stops working.

What you have to do in this case, is change this system for another one, which will not wear.

What a good technician can do, is change the rubber system for a stainless steel foil system.

And this should solve the problem forever, and not only for a few months like if you sent it to Sony and they replace the rubbish system again.

I hope that you understood what i tried to explain!

good luck
elton

8:39 pm - Thursday, August 9, 2007

#90 Boyd

I can't believe so many people are having the same problem- this is definitely a defect. The shutter button fell off the 4 days after the warranty expired. I'm going to try to appeal to them. Has anyone had any luck in this area? Thanks

4:09 am - Tuesday, August 21, 2007

#91 Nuno

yep unfortunate events have brought me to this site. My dear H2 camera too got the half pressed auto-focus problem. I went nuts trying to find a setting i could change in the menu, but after googling for this problem, i got here and to several other sites and it confirms: its a problem.

What is pissing me off is that this is obviously a defect and sony, as we all have grown loving it, and for which i have several other products, is not recognizing the problem, and we are talking about a 400$ camera, that i believe all of us treat it with extreme care. If this was an isolated problem, i would definitly had no other choice but to service it, but thats definitely not the case.

Anyway, we have two choices: either we get a cheaper scheme to fix it, or we file a complaint and a law suit with the help of all other sites regarding this issue.

2:15 am - Saturday, August 25, 2007

#92 Cdj

Hi all,

Just read everything and we have the same problem. Bought the new DSC-H9 and received it 2 weeks ago, used it once (took about 15 pictures around the house to test it) and when we took it out of the protective bag today the shutter button was nowhere to be found???

We had to take the whole bag apart, realy thick protective patches in the bag and we handled the bag with care.
Eventually got the button and a tiny spring in the bag...

Luckily we still have a guarantee, but not realy too impressed reading that this is obviously a flaw. That means it will be fixed numerous time during our warranty period and after a year we will need to pay ourselves to get it fixed.

Maybe time to contact the store we bought it from and arranging an exchange for another make...

Regards,

7:20 pm - Saturday, August 25, 2007

#93 Boyd

Good News. I called Sony this week and they are going to fix the shutter button even though technically it's out of warranty by 4 days. Maybe they are beginning to realize they have a problem. I realize from the previous posts that my shutter button problem may reoccur, but I'll have to deal with that later. Thanks to all of you for your posts. It encouraged me to call them and try to get them to repair it under warranty. I was all prepared to have to argue and fuss with them, but the only problem was having to wait on hold for 20-30 minutes. They did not seem to question the problem or my request for them to fix it under the 1 year warranty. I don't know if I'll purchase another Sony product again, but if I do I'll throughly check it out. Thanks again!!

4:00 am - Sunday, August 26, 2007

#94 A.J.

is there a way to shoot camera RAW with the h2

8:44 pm - Sunday, August 26, 2007

#95 Joe

There is NO way to shoot RAW with the H2 as of the last time I checked. That was a sticking point with me. I eventually bought a Nikon D40x so that I could shoot RAW.

9:27 pm - Sunday, August 26, 2007

#96 giu

WOW!
So, the brand new H9 has the same problem! It's incredible, so much intelligence and technology knocked-out by a piece of ordinary plastic!

SONY, WAKE UP!!!

5:47 am - Friday, August 31, 2007

#97 Chris

It is disheartening to see that if I pay to have this problem fixed, my H2 will likely break again. I was a Sony loyalist until my wife bought me this camera for last Christmas. Sony, what happened? My DSC-P71 still works great after 10,000 photographs! To Mark (#27): why would my P71 still work and my H2 break after a mere handful of photographs?

When is the class action coming out for this? Oh, that's right, the Supreme Court and our duly elected-and-consequently-bribed politicians have made class actions more difficult to certify now. We're screwed.

I'd really likely to hear from somebody in this forum who bought another make after this fiasco and what camera they now recommend with similar features as the H2 (but fewer serious flaws!)

11:29 pm - Saturday, September 1, 2007

#98 Joe

Hi Chris. I own the H-2 and have used it for about a year up until June of this year. I never had a problem with the shutter that everyone is talking about here. Mine is still in pristine condition. Of course I have not used it in a few months.

When using it, I took hundreds and hundreds of images and the camera worked as advertised.

I liked my H-2 and managed to get some really decent images with it -- pushing it to the limit. I bought the tele-conversion lens as well and again had fun with the camera.

Certain limitations led me to reconsider which direction I wanted to go.

The lag time between images was frustrating and in some cases this dragged on for what seemed an eternity (only a few seconds actually), but when taking shots of a moving object -- train, plane, etc, it seemed like a lifetime.

Also the quality of the images near the extreme of the zoom lens also gave me fits. The quality was just not there -- good for the price I paid, but still lacking, in my opinion.

If I wanted prints, anything over 8 1/2 by 11 inches and the pixels would begin to show at 6mp, which again limited my use of the camera for I wanted to print large copies of some of the images I took.

One of my bigger frustrations was the lack of camera RAW and this aggravated me to no end. I wanted the ability to adjust my images if needed and Sony did not have the feature nor could the software be updated to add the feature. I had talked to them on a few occasions and it was like coming up to a brick wall. Frustration!

A decision was required.

I began checking into the competition. I also looked at the newer Alpha by SONY, but after the comparisons on line (I do a lot of research before plunking down my money) I came up with the decision to by either a Canon or a Nikon.

After my research I made the decision to buy the Nikon D40x. I bought the "kit" with the 18-55mm lens and eventually bought a better lens to go with this, the 70-300mm lens. I absolutely LOVE the camera.

It took me months to get used to the totally different system -- you had to plan your shots and shooting in RAW requires a bit of getting used to, but in the long run it works out nicely.

I take many, many shots (100-200) at a session and am very happy with my decision. I probably would have been just as happy with a Canon Rebel, but a pro friend of mine recommended the Nikon overall as the better system (his opinion).

I have been reading these updates on the H-2 and was considering selling my entire collection of the H-2 and everything I bought with it, but probably will keep it as a back-up system for now.

If I sell it I will put it on eBay.

Wish you and the others with the problem with the shutter very good luck and will keep a keen eye on the events with Sony as they unfold. Also, if they do a recall, of course I will have them look at mine.

Cheers. Joe

1:35 pm - Sunday, September 2, 2007

#99 Saunders

I am so FRUSTRATED with this P.O.S. I will never buy another SONY again. The button has broken three times and each time it takes months for the camera to be returned to me. Now I think it's out of warranty. In addition it refuses to take a photographs in low light conditions and I'm having trouble with the USB. A few more of these products and Sony's good name wont be good any more. I'm hoping for a recall.

DON'T BUY THIS CAMERA.

1:27 am - Saturday, September 8, 2007

#100 peter

bought the camera less than 1 month ago, used it a total of 4 days, the shutter button auto focus no longer works. very disappointed with this buy. would not recommend it to anyone.

5:56 am - Monday, September 17, 2007