PMA 2007: The Sony GPS-CS1KA GPS Unit kit with Picture Motion Browser software provides image positioning and online mapping capabilities with a wide range of cameras. Picture Motion Browser software is compatible with all digital cameras conforming to the Exif 2.1 file specification. This means in practice that the GPS-CS1KA can now be used successfully with all digital cameras produced within the last few years, including most non-Sony models. The Sony GPS-CS1KA GPS Unit kit will be available throughout Europe from February 2007.
Sony Europe Press Release
Feb 27, 2007
* GPS-CS1KA GPS Unit kit with Picture Motion Browser software provides compatibility with a wide range of cameras
* On-line map display of JPEG images from all cameras supporting Exif 2.1 file specification
* Kit also includes soft carry case
27th February 2007 - The popular, ultra-compact GPS-CS1 GPS Unit brings the excitement of ‘where and when’ image positioning and online mapping to all digital camera users.
Available from this month, the GPS-CS1KA GPS Unit kit now includes Sony Picture Motion Browser software. Already supplied as standard with current Cyber-shot cameras, Handycam camcorders and the acclaimed Sony ?100 DSLR, this easy-to-use PC* application matches photo dates and times with satellite-derived position information captured using the GPS-CS1. ‘Tagged’ images can then be displayed in situ on an online map, adding a fascinating ‘where and when’ dimension to enjoyment and management of photo libraries. (NB: Maps and satellite images powered by Google Maps).
Supplied on CD-ROM, Picture Motion Browser software is compatible with all digital cameras conforming to the Exif 2.1 file specification. This means in practice that the GPS-CS1KA can now be used successfully with all digital cameras produced within the last few years, including most non-Sony models. In addition to all current Cyber-shot and Handycam models, the package is compatible with the Sony ?100 D-SLR camera when shooting in JPEG or JPEG+RAW mode.
The enhanced kit now also features a handy soft carry case that clips in seconds onto a camera case, shoulder strap or clothing. The protective case features a transparent window for visibility of battery and memory indicators plus easy access to the GPS unit’s power switch.
About the GPS-CS1 GPS Unit
The GPS-CS1 is a portable GPS (Global Positioning System) unit that records time and date information along with actual position wherever GPS satellite coverage is available. Supplied GPS Image Tracker software matches this position data with time and date information corresponding with each JPEG camera image. Using Sony Picture Motion Browser software, these location-tagged images can then be dropped automatically into an online map with outline, satellite, global or local viewing options. The compact GPS-CS1 weighs just 55g**. Its power-efficient design allows up to 10 hours continuous use with a single alkaline cell (14 hours with Ni-MH battery). The unit can hold approximately one month of tracking data (in use for 12 hours/day).
The GPS-CS1KA GPS Unit kit will be available throughout Europe from February 2007.
* GPS reception method: 12 channel all-in-view tracking
* Image file format: JPEG file Exif2.1 compatible or later
* Power: AA Alkaline / AA Ni-MH battery
* Operating time (approx): 10hrs (varies depending on conditions)
* Dimensions (approx): W87 x H36 x D36mm
* Weight (approx): 55g without battery
* Interface: Hi-Speed USB2.0
* Operating system support: Windows® 2000 Professional, Windows® Millennium Edition, Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, Genuine Windows® XP Professional
* Supplied accessories: carabiner, USB cable, GPS Image Tracker software (CD-ROM)
* Windows OS only. Not compatible with Macintosh
** Excluding AA battery