Sony Reveals 5 Megapixel Cyber-shot DSC-W5
Sony announces the Cyber-shot DSC-W5, a 5 megapixel update of the DSC-W1 with 2.5“ LCD screen, 3 optical zoom and 32 Megabytes of built-in flash memory.
Well, that’s not exactly true - Sony didn’t so much announce the DSC-W5, as let the details slip on the SonyStyle website last night. That page has now been removed, but not before the details have been posted on most of the major digicam websites. It must be that time of year again, as PMA approaches and over-worked employees press the wrong button.
Thanks to Beverly Wrensch - Beverly also passes on rumours of several other new Sony models, including the DSC-W7 (as spotted on the Cheap Electricals website), DSC-S40, DSC-S60 and DSC-S90.
Update: several new Sony models have turned up on a Russian digital camera website. Genuine? Who knows?! Thanks to Leo for letting me know.
(DSC-W3 details from the SonyStyle website)
A classic design meets modern technology in the Cyber-shot® W5 digital camera from Sony. It combines a traditional rangefinder camera layout with high-end features such as a huge 2.5“ LCD screen, 5.1 Megapixel image capture, and high speed performance thanks to the Real Imaging Processor™ chip.
The W5’s Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® lens provides crisp, clear visuals and a 3X optical zoom without compromising the camera’s amazingly compact design. Image quality is further enhanced with such features 5 area multi-point auto focus, auto focus illuminator and multi-pattern measuring.
The W5 includes 32 Megabytes of built-in flash memory, so you’ll have room for additional photographs if you are ever without a Memory Stick® media. With a classic build, easy control, and numerous advanced features, the Cyber-shot® W5 has something for everyone.
• 1/1.8” 5.1 Megapixel Super HAD™ CCD
Super HAD (Hole Accumulation Diode) CCDs provide excellent image quality by allowing more light to pass to each pixel, increasing sensitivity and reducing noise.
• 3X Optical/2X Digital/6X Total Zoom
Optical zoom helps you fill the frame with your subject for better pictures. And Sony’s Precision Digital Zoom helps bring your subject closer with an extra 2X magnification.
• 0 – 12.0X Smart Zoom™ Feature (at VGA Resolution)
The Smart Zoom™ feature intelligently uses the full CCD to let you zoom into the portion of interest by cropping the image size – thus avoiding the image degradation of Digital Zooms.
• Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® Lens
The Vario-Tessar® lens is specially produced for very compact cameras. This specialized design allows quick auto-focus, appealing zoom range while still maintaining a compact design.
• Real Imaging Processor™ LSI
The innovative Real Imaging Processor™ LSI in the DSC-W5 not only improves picture quality and clarity but also improves camera response time, decreases shutter lag and improves battery stamina.
• 2.5“ LCD Monitor1
The extra-large high-resolution 115K LCD Monitor makes framing shots and reviewing pictures easy.
• Live Histogram Display
Available in capture and playback the Live Histogram Displays the concentration of pixels at each luminosity value making it easy to evaluate correct exposure.
• 14-Bit DXP A/D Conversion
Sony’s 14-bit Digital EXtended Processor captures the range between highlight and shadow with up to 16,384 values, for extended dynamic contrast and detail.
• 5 Area Multi-Point Auto Focus
By evaluating 5 separate focus areas of the frame, Sony’s Multi-Point AF system can intelligently focus on the subject and avoid mistakenly focusing on the background.
• Manual Exposure Mode
Manual Exposure Mode provides extended control with 46-step adjustable Shutter speed (30 – 1/1000 sec.), and 2-step Aperture control.
• AF (Auto Focus) Illuminator
Briefly illuminating the subject, in low–or no–light conditions, the AF Illuminator helps establish a positive focus lock.
• Selectable Focus Mode
Monitoring AF (Auto Focus) helps you anticipate the action by focusing even before you press the shutter release.
• Multi-Pattern Measuring
Independently light-metering 49 points of the frame, Multi-Pattern Measuring establishes the optimum exposure, even when highlight and shadow isn’t centered in the frame.
• Scene Selection Mode
With 6 Scene Modes, parameters can be matched to the shooting conditions. Choose from one of the following: Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Soft Snap, Candle, or Beach.
• Pre-Flash Metering
With a momentary pre-flash, the camera illuminates the subject and sets exposure through the lens for accurate flash metering. Adjustable flash level and red-eye reduction ensure great flash shots.
• Slow Shutter Noise Reduction
During long exposures, Slow Shutter NR captures the scene, and then the CCD noise pattern with a dark frame exposure. By subtracting the two, even long exposures can be clear.
• 32MB Built-in Flash Memory2
Forget to bring your Memory Stick® media, or run out of space on it? No problem! With 32 Megabytes of flash memory built-in to the DSC-W5, you’ll have the extra space for additional photographs.
• Memory Stick® Media and Memory Stick PRO™ Media3
Digital. Powerful. Transportable.™ Memory Stick® media is compact, portable and rugged – connecting a variety of hardware and software applications.
• 9 Shot Burst Mode
Capture up to 9 shots (fine) or 16 shots (standard) at 1.6 frame/sec. even at 5 MP resolution. Perfect for high speed subjects or fast moving action such as sports.
• Multi-Burst Mode
Captures 16 320 x 240 frames as part of a single 1280 x 960 image which plays back sequentially in the camera. Selectable 1/7.5, 1/15, 1/30 second.
• MPEG Movie VX Standard/Fine Mode with Audio
Captures VGA (640 x 480) high frame rate (up to 30 frames per second) audio/video clips with length limited only by the capacity of the media. Video mail mode captures smaller file sizes suitable for email.
• Conversion Lens Compatible
With VAD-WA adaptor, you can add tele- or wide- conversion lenses for greater magnification or wider field of view, as well as protective and special effect filters.
• PictBridge™ Compatibility
Connect to any PictBridge™ compatible printer with the supplied USB cable and print directly from the camera. Images can be viewed and selected for printing right on the camera’s LCD, with menus for print quantity, date and index print.
• Rechargeable AA NiMH Batteries
The high capacity 2100 mAh AA NiMH batteries provide reliable, long-lasting power for continuous shooting. The supplied BC-CS2 charger provides a convenient way to charge the batteries.
• Imaging Device: 1/1.8” 5.1 Megapixel Super HAD™ CCD
• Recording Media: Memory Stick® Media, Memory Stick PRO™ Media
• Lens Construction: 7 Elements in 5 Groups, 3 Aspheric Elements
• Zoom: 3X Optical
• Smart Zoom™ Feature: 0 – 4.0X (at VGA Resolution), 12X Total
• Digital Zoom: Precision, 0 – 2.0X Range, 6X Total
• Filter Diameter: 30mm, by required VAD-WA adaptor
• Focal Length: 7.9 – 23.7mm
• 35mm Equivalent: 38 – 114mm
• Aperture Range: f2.8 – f5.6 (W); f5.2 – f10 (T)
• Auto Focus: 5 Area Multi-Point AF, Center AF, 5-Step Manual
• Minimum Focus Distance: 19.7“ (50cm)
• Macro Focus Distance: 3.9” (10cm)
• Shutter Speed: 1/8 – 1/1000 sec. (auto); 2 – 1/1000 sec. (twilight); 30 – 1/1000 sec. (manual)
• Exposure Compensation: +/- 2.0 EV, 1/3 EV Steps
• Color LCD: 2.5“ 115K Pixel LCD Screen1
• Flash Modes: Auto/Forced On/Forced Off/Slow Synchro
• Red-Eye Reduction: On/Off
• Flash Effective Range: 1.6 – 12.5 ft. (0.5 – 3.8m)
• White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Incandescent
• Burst Mode: 9 Shot (JPEG fine), 16 Shot (JPEG std.), 1.6fps
• Picture Effects: Sepia, Black & White
• ISO: Auto, 100, 200, 400
• Scene Modes: Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Landscape, Soft Snap, Candle, Beach
• Self-Timer: Yes, 10 Seconds
• Audio/Video Output: Yes, NTSC/PAL Selectable
• Still Image Modes: Normal (JPEG Fine/Standard), Burst, Multi-Burst
• MPEG Movie Modes: MPEG VX Fine with Audio (640 x 480 at 30fps), (MPEG VX Fine requires Memory Stick PRO media) MPEG VX Standard with Audio (640 x 480 at 16fps), Video Mail (160 x 112 at 8fps) with Audio
• Microphone/Speaker: Yes/Yes
• USB Terminal: Yes, Supports USB 2.02
• Built-in Flash Memory: Yes, 32MB3
• Memory Stick PRO™ Media Compatibility: Tested to support up to 1GB media capacity4; does not support Access Control security function
• Compatible Battery: ”AA“ NiMH, Alkaline
• Supplied Software: Picture Package™ for Sony v1.6 (Windows), Pixela™ ImageMixer VCD2 (Macintosh), SPVD-012.1 USB Driver, Cyber-shot Life tutorial (Windows)
• OS Compatibility: Microsoft® Windows® 98/98SE/Me/ 2000/XP Home/XP Pro Macintosh® OS 9.1/9.2/X (10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3)
• Supplied Accessories: NH-AA-DA Rechargeable AA Batteries, BC-CS2 Battery Charger, A/V and USB Cables, Wrist Strap, Software