Sony Vaio AW-Series Laptop for Photographers

September 10, 2008 | Mark Goldstein | Digital | 19 Comments |

Sony Vaio AW-SeriesThe new Sony Vaio AW-Series is an 18.4-inch laptop aimed at photographers. Full coverage of the Adobe RGB colour space offers total accuracy for editing, thanks to the 3LED backlighting system also found on Sony’s Bravia TVs. The AW-Series comes with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom as well as Adobe Photoshop Elements pre-installed. The VAIO AW-Series has an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 processor, NVIDIA 512MB GeForce 9600M GT graphics card, 128GB Solid State Disk and a 500GB SATA drive. Price and availability to be announced.

Sony Europe Press Release

VAIO AW-Series

Drawing on its strengths in the field of display design and refining them to a new level, VAIO has created a new class of portable. It has screen technologies never seen on a notebook, from the massive 18.4-inch diagonal and Full HD resolution to its 3LED backlighting system. Serious photographers and owners of HD camcorders will instantly appreciate the absolute colour fidelity on offer – full coverage of the Adobe® RGB colour space delivers the total accuracy essential to perfect editing. Quite simply, this is the best – and only – notebook screen of its kind.

3LED backlighting is a technical breakthrough found on high-end BRAVIA™ LCD TVs. It uses the pure red, green and blue light emitted by LEDs to generate a super-wide colour gamut capable of correctly reproducing the full Adobe RGB colour space. Whether you are editing photographic images or HD video, or simply enjoying an HD movie, this means the best possible picture quality. Put this together with Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution and you have the screen by which others will be judged.

The AW-Series comes with Adobe Photoshop® Lightroom® as well as Adobe Photoshop Elements, providing users with some of the very best photo-editing software tools available. Sony original software including Image Data Converter, Picture Motion Browser and ? setting plug-in for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom further enhance the appeal to serious photographers. As well as the convenience provided by the settings plug-in, owners of Sony’s ? DSLR will experience the quiet pleasure of seeing an echo of the camera’s design aesthetic in the distinctive and beautiful finishes available for the AW-Series.

The huge Full HD display offers true 16:9 widescreen, so when you play a movie on the integrated Blu-ray Disc™ drive, you are treated to superbly cinematic visuals. Dolby® Home Theatre audio signal processing and 2.1 channel speakers complete the mini-cinema effect, with enhanced bass from the integrated sub-woofer as well as immersive surround sound. Should you prefer, an HDMI™ output lets you the whole High Definition audiovisual experience to an HD TV or Home Theatre.

From a technical standpoint, the VAIO AW-Series is as impressive behind the scenes as from the front. Everything you need for outstanding multimedia performance is there, from the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9600 processor, power 3D graphics courtesy of NVIDIA’s® 512MB GeForce® 9600M GT and a very special combination of disk technologies. In a world first, 128GB of Solid State Disk (SSD) Flash memory works together in a RAID array with the 500GB SATA drive to boost performance when working with large files, which are stored on the SSD for extremely fast access1.

Sony Vaio AW-Series

#1 Thomas

The same notebook but with a 12" or 13" screen - that's what I need for the next upgrade. My workstation in the office runs with 26" monitor, no need for huge notebook as an add-on for my travel gear.

10:20 am - Wednesday, September 10, 2008

#2 notme

"18.4-inch laptop"? that's not a laptop, that's a desktop. Who has a lap that large =)

If I had to buy such a large laptop I think I'd better buy a desktop.

8:58 pm - Wednesday, September 10, 2008

#3 Emily Hancock

Why has it taken so long for laptop manufacturers to come up with this? I also agree with the comments above - 18.4" is crazy.

Sony should make a smaller version, or better yet, Apple's new MacBook Pro's should include this technology ;)

11:48 pm - Wednesday, September 10, 2008

#4 chris

So you guy's think 18.4" is big for a laptop? try looking at the HP HDX. That thing is dinasour 20" screen and weighs almost 16 pounds. You need a suitcase and a tow truck to drag that monster around.

1:50 pm - Saturday, September 20, 2008

#5 edd

this is a big boy
We are into 18ins laptops this winter
With a 1080p screen display linked to your Sony tv
At a price £2499

9:47 pm - Friday, October 10, 2008

#6 Ken

I have one, the AW190, with the 18.4" 1080p screen. It's not crazy, it's amazing!! Why would you want to work on a 15" screen when you can have an 18.4"? I love it.

10:26 pm - Monday, December 29, 2008

#7 Cheap Computers

That's great that Sony has launched a laptop fot its professional Photographers........

12:37 pm - Wednesday, July 1, 2009

#8 Computer Repair Toronto

Sony laptop is the best in the computer world

4:53 am - Sunday, August 2, 2009

#9 jim

18.4 inches is not too big for a pro photographer and although its not easily portable it is portable. Its a good compromise!

11:27 pm - Sunday, August 9, 2009

#10 cheap computers

I am happy to read your blog and admit the webmaster has done a very good job by putting all
the information content at one place. I'd like to recommend it with reference to my website http://www.pctechoutlet.com

6:41 pm - Monday, January 25, 2010

#11 kitchen cabinets canton

What so special with this laptop? Photographers can use any machines as long the monitors are calibrated.

6:57 pm - Sunday, April 18, 2010

#12 albert

This laptop is for PHOTOGRAPHERS for God sakes, NOT COLOR-BLIND people!
I checked it, it is a great laptop. Only one improvement is needed “immediately” - that is the ironic lack of color on the laptop. Black color is good for the color-blind, and ancient-fashionable people. And definitely Not for photographers.
What happens that when it comes to North-American market, all colors go dull or black. Meanwhile the sales people in North-America admit that the white and colored laptops go in the first week or two of the sales while the dull gray, silver and black colors linger till last days of clearance!
Hope for a happier crew in North America, too!
Cheers,
Albert

7:14 am - Wednesday, June 23, 2010

#13 computer repair toronto

thats a nice piece of equipment. I thought it would be a little big but yeah you right its a good size for a photographer!

5:13 pm - Friday, November 5, 2010

#14 turks and caicos villas

This laptop is fantastic, I bought 2 years ago and I still have it and works perfectly. The only thing I had problem with was the battery charger, but I found one for 20 dollars on amazon!

11:13 am - Monday, December 13, 2010

#15 bootcamp

Im a professional photographer and I can tell you that as a good photographer you cant miss this fantastic laptop. Is ideal for every situation

11:17 am - Monday, December 13, 2010

#16 bookkeeping north london

I have to say that Sony is one of the best brand for Laptop (and even TV!). I had many laptops but the Sony ones are still working fine, while the others gave me only a bunch of problems

11:21 am - Monday, December 13, 2010

#17 sony laptop model

This is my all time favorite laptop due to it's perfect mix of power and useable functionality. Very well thought out general purpose laptop with many features and input/ output options that you would not expect at this price range. Add to that the generous helping of memory and hard drive disc space and it is hard to beat!

5:49 am - Monday, January 31, 2011

#18 vlad

Hi Guys,

I've bought it recently. To be short - the screen
quality is rubbish and that was their top quality full-hd with RGB! It's simply not able to reproduce any details in shadows and b-&-w images look horrible with lots of color patterns in shadows. That's a sexy laptop for a houswife not for a pro on the go and definetly not for any photographer. I was so much dissappointed by this laptop!

Cheers

12:59 pm - Wednesday, June 15, 2011

#19 low cost eyeglasses

Sony is now way better than HP. I have a VAIO and I wouldnt substitute it for any other laptop. Top Notch in every aspect. Just remember to have a good antivirus and you are good to go

3:58 pm - Thursday, October 13, 2011