The Sony W55 and Sony W35 digital cameras both offer 7.2 megapixels, Real Imaging Processor, ISO 1000 and a 3x optical zoom lens. The W55 and W35 are 22.9mm thick with an aluminium finish casing, whilst the W55 is available in a choice of “fashion colours”. The Cyber-shot W35 will be available throughout Europe from mid February, and the W55 from the end of February. In the USA, the W55 model will be available for about $200 and the W35 for about $180.
Sony Europe Press Release
VALUE & PERFORMANCE MEETS SLIM, STYLISH LOOKS: THE NEW CYBER-SHOT W35 & W55 CAMERAS FROM SONY
Jan 17, 2007
* 7.2 effective megapixels with Real Imaging Processor
* 2.5-inch LCD screen (W55)
* Carl Zeiss lens with 3x optical zoom and 14x smart zoom
* High sensitivity (REI)* ISO 1000
* Function Guide
* Up to 380 shot shooting STAMINA**
* Only 22.9mm thick with aluminium finish casing and a choice of fashion colours (W55 only – varies by country)
January 17th 2007 - Slender, stylish and highly affordable, two new W Series Cyber-shot cameras from Sony don’t compromise on looks, handy features or great imaging performance.
Light and compact enough to slip easily into a pocket or bag, the Cyber-shot W35 and W55 are distinguished by their luxurious looks and durable metal face. The W55 creates an even bigger splash with a brushed aluminium facing and an exciting palette of fashion colours: in addition to silver and sleek black there’s a further choice of vibrant blue or candy pink finishes that stand out from the crowd.
Crisp, clear images are assured courtesy of the 7.2 effective megapixel sensor and Real Imaging Processor. Setting the user-friendly Mode Dial to High Sensitivity (REI)* mode boosts the maximum sensitivity of both cameras to ISO 1000: this makes it easier to grab blur-free pictures, even when you’re shooting indoors without flash or in low light conditions. Sony Clear RAW NR noise reduction algorithm suppresses picture noise at highest sensitivity settings for clearer, more natural images.
The high quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens offers a 3x optical zoom range and a 6x digital zoom capability along with a combined 14x Smart Zoom. The lens can also focus right down to 2cm shooting distance for extreme close-ups in Macro mode. Shots can be framed using the optical viewfinder as an alternative to the 2-inch LCD screen, while the W55 offers an even bigger picture with its easy to read 2.5-inch screen.
Aside from great looks and performance, both cameras make it simpler than ever to get great results every time – even for beginners. The handy Function Guide provides an on-screen description of each shooting mode, making it easier to pick exactly the right mode for any subject. Making adjustments is simplified by pop-up icons confirming flash, macro, self timer and other settings. On-screen guidance on the most appropriate print paper size and number of shots available with remaining memory help take the guesswork out of choosing the right image size. For even greater convenience there’s also a ‘Direct Play’ button that switches instantly to playback for quick confirmation of shots.
The energy-efficient design of both models delivers an impressive stamina of 380 shots* between charges, so there’s less chance of missing that once-in-a-lifetime moment because you’re searching in a bag or pocket for a spare battery.
Bundled Picture Motion Browser Ver 2.0 software simplifies uploading and management of pictures using a connected PC. Other supplied accessories include a wrist strap and USB/AV cables for connection to a television or other display device.
The Cyber-shot W35 and W55 will be available throughout Europe from February 2007 (W35 mid February, W55 end of February)
*Recommended Exposure Index.
**CIPA standard with LCD screen on.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W35 / W55 key features
* 7.2 effective megapixels
* ISO 1000 high sensitivity (REI) for low-light shooting
* Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens
* 3x optical zoom, 6x digital zoom, up to 14x smart zoom
* Large 2.5-inch (6.2cm) LCD screen [DSC-W35: 2-inch (5.1 cm) screen]
* Optical viewfinder
* 56MB internal memory
* Slim, compact silver design [DSC-W55 only: with brushed aluminium face]
* Real Imaging Processor for improved picture quality and high speed operation
* 2cm macro for close-up shooting
* 16:9 mode for playback on a widescreen TV
* MPEG Movie VX (VGA 30fps movie mode with audio)
* PictBridge for direct connection to printer without need for PC
* Easy operation with on-screen Function Guide
* STAMINA battery life up to 380 shots (CIPA standard with LCD screen on)
* On-screen menu in choice of 17 languages: Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
* Supplied accessories: rechargeable battery, charger, USB and AV cables, wrist strap and software
* Compatible with wide range of optional Sony accessories