Sanyo DMX-CA100 Dual Camera Xacti
Sanyo has announced the world’s first waterproof Full HD consumer video camera with optical zoom. The Sanyo DMX-CA100 Dual Camera Xacti has a 14.3-megapixel CMOS sensor capable of capturing full-resolution stills at a speed of one frame per second (fps), and 2-megapixel stills at 7fps. The lens has a focal range of 6.8-34mm, equivalent to 38-190mm in 35mm terms, and an almost constant maximum aperture (f/3.5 at wide angle, f/3.7 at telephoto). Waterproof down to a depth of 3m for up to 60 minutes, the Sanyo DMX-CA100 Dual Camera Xacti can be used underwater while snorkelling. As a video camera, it can shoot Full HD footage while taking advantage of Sanyo’s “Double Range Zoom” technology, which changes the size of the video capture area on the image sensor. Compatible with Eye-Fi and SDXC memory cards, the Sanyo DMX-CA100 will be launched at the end of this month. Pricing to be confirmed,
Sanyo Press Release
SANYO Releases World’s First*1 Waterproof*2 Full HD*3 Dual Camera
New Dual Camera Xacti is Perfect for All Kinds of Outdoor Activities
Tokyo, May 28, 2010 - SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. (SANYO) is pleased to announce the release of the world’s first waterproof Full HD Dual Camera that can be used underwater. The DMX-CA100 will be launched at the end of June 2010.
The Dual Camera Xacti aims to provide customers with more enjoyable video experiences, by offering cameras that allow users to easily capture both photos and videos in daily life, rather than devices that are merely used to record important events. By utilizing a convenient video format that can be easily handled on PC and Internet environments, and even on home TVs, these cameras are more than just hardware for capturing, viewing, and saving images. They are convenient products for sharing videos online, on blogs or on other multi-media sites, and they are able to easily import images to portable media devices. SANYO is offering new ways to enjoy images after they are captured, and the Dual Camera Xacti has been well received by consumers all over the world.
In order to further enhance the concept of “a Dual Camera that can be used anywhere and anytime,” SANYO is now introducing this new Dual Camera Xacti model. It enables people with active lifestyles to capture high resolution photos just like a regular digital camera and Full HD videos in all kinds of outdoor situations, not just in the city, but also at the beach or at the mountains. With its waterproof design, the DMX-CA100 offers a Dual Camera model that is both handy and reliable for active outdoor living, daily activities, and leisure pursuits.
Product 2010 Dual Camera Xacti
Product No. DMX-CA100
Colors Black (K), Yellow (Y), Pink (P)
MSRP Open Price
Sales Start End of June, 2010
Monthly Production 15,000 units
*1 For Full HD video cameras for consumer use with optical zoom lenses. (As of the release date: the end of June, 2010)
*2 Water depth up to 3 m, for up to 60 minutes. (IPX8 Compliant)
*3 SANYO Xacti “Full HD” means data recorded at 1920 (horizontal) x 1080 (vertical) pixels.
*4 For video capture only. (optical 5x zoom when capturing photos)
1. World’s first waterproof Full HD Dual Camera
- Can be used to a depth of 3 meters underwater for up to 60 minutes: meets the IPX8 standard based on JIS C 0920 waterproofing guidelines.
- This Full HD video (1920 x 1080 pixels) capturing in all kinds of year-round outdoor conditions, not only in the rain, or while swimming in the pool or ocean, but also perfect for marine sports such as snorkeling and surfing, or even for winter sports*5 including skiing and snowboarding.
- The video format “MPEG-4 AVC / H.264” enables videos to be handled on a computer or the Internet using a single file, just like a still photo.
- The format fully supported by the latest “Windows® 7”*6 operating system, making it even more convenient to use on a PC.
*5 When using the camera in sub-zero or hot and humid conditions, be careful of condensation.
*6 Windows is a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries. The official name of Windows is the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
2. High resolution 14 mega-pixel photo, the highest class of resolution as a compact digital camera
- Captures 14 mega-pixel photos, in addition to Full HD video shooting.
- The “High-Speed Sequential Shooting” enables capturing up to 22 photos at 7 frames per second (in 2M Continuous mode), based on its high-speed CMOS sensor and the new high-speed video processing engine. This allows the camera to be used with confidence even in situations where photo opportunities can easily be missed.
- Separate photo and video capture buttons: images can be captured just by using the thumb to press the desired button, without the need to change modes.
3. “Double Range Zoom”*4 for easy capture of distant subjects using 12x Telephoto
- SANYO’s proprietary “Double Range Zoom” feature for zoom operation while filming video: offers an extensive range of video capture from wide angle to telephoto zoom for distant scenery, with a magnification of up to 12x (40 mm to 480 mm; 35-mm film basis).
- With a touch of the Zoom Range Button, the “Double Range Zoom” technology allows users to effectively switch between two zoom ranges, a Wide Mode (40 mm to 240 mm) and a Tele Mode (80 mm to 480 mm), just like alternating between two lenses with different zoom ratios, which changes the size of the video capture area on the image sensor.
* “Advanced Zoom” technology is completely different from regular digital zoom. It provides wider angle capture as well as higher magnification zoom, by progressively changing the image capture area on the image sensor. Unlike the regular digital zoom, it achieves zooming without image degradation.
4. Other Features
- “Digital Image Stabilizer”*7 and “Face Chaser Function”*8 for videos
- “The new Digital Image Stabilizer,”*7 “Face Chaser Function,”*8 “Target a Color Function”*8*9 for photos
- “Mini HDMI Terminal”*10 for the enjoyment of even more beautiful Full HD resolution
- “Eye-Fi card compatibility”*11 enables automatic uploading of images to a computer
- Compatible with large-capacity recording media, SDXC memory cards
- Rechargeable via USB port: High-power mode
*7 For instances where there is intense shaking or when the shutter is slow, motion correction function may not be able to correct the image
*8 Depending on the photographic subject and shooting conditions, there are instances where the function may not work as expected.
*9 This function was developed by SANYO with reference to the K-Means tracker technology of Wakayama University
*10 Cable sold separately
*11 Eye-Fi cards are sold separately.
The Eye-Fi Uploading Function may not operate in the future due to change in card specifications
(This model does not correspond to the endless memory function of Eye-Fi X2 series.)
In order to strengthen the Xacti brand, SANYO intends to create recording products that are not only used on special occasions but can also be used on a daily basis. Specifically, the Xacti brand will be extended to all kinds of devices that enable customers to easily enjoy capturing the beautiful sights and sounds of daily life. The DMX-CA100 is being launched as the first step in this direction. SANYO will continue to offer products for the expansion of the Xacti brand, by using the concept of “handy formats for daily use,” in order to meet the needs of an even wider range of customers.