Sony Cyber-shot RX100 VII Review
Sony Cyber-shot RX100 VII News
The new Sony RX100 VII achieves new levels of performance in a compact camera by utilising technologies developed for Sony’s full-frame mirrorless camera, the Alpha 9.
The RX100 VII will ship in August 2019 priced at approximately €1,300 / £1,200 / $1,300.
Sony Press Release
Sony Brings New Level of Power to Premium Compact Camera Line-up with introduction of the RX100 VII; Alpha 9 performance in your pocket
• Newly developed 1.0-type stacked 20.1 MP Exmor RS™ CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip and latest generation BIONZ X™ image processor
• Alpha 9-level speed performance with up to 60 AF/AE tracking calculations per second and 20fps blackout-free shooting with AF/AE tracking
• World leading 357-point focal-plane phase-detection AF + 425-point contrast-detection AF with world’s fastestv 0.02 sec high AF speed
• Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals
• ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm F2.8 – F4.5 Large Aperture High Magnification Zoom Lens
• New ‘Single Burst Shooting’ Drive Mode at up to 90fps speed
• Pro-level movie functionality including 4K HDR (HLG) , Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for movie shooting, 4K Active SteadyShot™, Vertical-position data recording for movies and integrated microphone jack
Sony today announced a new addition to its award-winning series of RX cameras with the launch of the RX100 VII (model DSC-RX100M7). Utilising technologies developed for Sony’s full-frame mirrorless camera Alpha 9, the RX100 VII achieves new levels of performance in a compact camera, in both stills and movie shooting, inspiring the user to feel confident that they are armed with professional-level power in their pocket for spontaneous shooting in everyday life.
The RX100 VII is powered by a newly developed 1.0-type stacked Exmor RS CMOS image sensor and the latest generation BIONZ X image processor. This combination delivers new levels of autofocus performance and achieves speed breakthroughs that have previously only been seen on the Alpha 9. Flexibility of shooting is ensured by a ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mmviii F2.8-4.5 high magnification zoom lens, making the RX100 VII a versatile choice for all types of shooting scenarios and users, from photo enthusiasts to professionals.
New Standard for AF Performance in a Compact Camera
The RX100 VII offers a world leadingv 357 focal-plane phase-detection AF points and 425 contrast-detection AF points. In addition, thanks to a newly optimised lens drive control, world’s fastestv 0.02 secvi AF acquisition time is realised. A major leap in AF/AE tracking performance during continuous shooting means the camera performs AF/AE calculations up to 60 times per secondii and captures fast moving action at 20fpsiii with AF/AE tracking, ensuring that each moment is shot with swift and accurate focus.
In addition, the image sensor realises blackout-free shootingiv for a completely live view, even when continuous shooting at 20fpsiii; the same experience as the Alpha 9. The RX100 VII also debuts a new drive mode, Single Burst Shootingix, for capturing the perfect high-speed shot at up to 90fpsx in JPEG/RAW format utilising the anti-distortion shutter. ‘Single Burst Shooting’ix allows the photographer to frame fast moving action and shoot as if taking a single shot but the camera will actually deliver 7 still images, taken at 90fps, 60fps or 30fps, so the user can select the perfect moment.
For the first time in a compact camera, the RX100 VII introduces advanced ‘Real-time Tracking’ and ‘Real-time Eye AF’ capabilities. ‘Real-time Tracking’ utilises Sony’s latest algorithm including artificial intelligence-based object recognition to ensure that subjects can be captured with excellent accuracy, even via the touch panel on the rear screen. ‘Real-time Eye AF’, the latest version of Sony’s acclaimed Eye AF technology, employs AI-based object recognition to detect and process eye data in real time, resulting in improved accuracy, speed and tracking performance of Eye AF for both humans and animalsvii, and allows the photographer to concentrate exclusively on composition .
The compact and lightweight characteristics of the RX100 VII (approx. 302g / 102mm x 58mm x 43mm ) mean it can always be carried around and can be mounted in places that larger cameras cannot. But its small factor belies a multitude of pro-level movie-making capabilities perfect for on-the-go shooting such as vlogging:
- 4K in-body movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning in high bit rate XAVC S™xi
- Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF for video
- 4K Active SteadyShot that is 8x more effective than 4K Standard SteadyShot
- Integrated Microphone input
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HDR) / S-Gamut3.Cine / S-Log3, S-Gamut3/S-Log3
- Compatibility with ‘Movie Edit add-on’ from the ‘Imaging EdgeTM’ mobile application for movie stabilisation and editing
- Vertical-position data recording for movies
- Interval Shooting for stunning time-lapse videos
- Super Slow Motion recording at up to 1000fps
- 180-degree flip screen for ease-of use whilst vlogging
“The RX100 VII sets new standards for both photography and videography in a compact camera and we are confident that its phenomenal speed and AF capabilities will be very well received by customers,” said Yann Salmon Legagneur, Director of Product Marketing, Digital Imaging, Sony Europe. “Users will feel the reassurance that that they have the power of an Alpha 9 in their pocket, in compact form, so they can trust this camera in any given situation.”
Shooting Grip Kit for Vloggers
A simple vlogging setup with an external microphone is made possible with the Shooting Grip Kit (DSC-RX100M7G). The kit includes an RX100 VII, Shooting Grip (VCT-SGR1) which allows for easy recording and zooming right at your fingertips, Bracket with Accessory Shoe to attach the Microphone, and two Rechargeable Battery Packs (NP-BX1) .
New Jacket Case for the RX100 Series
Sony has also introduced a new leather-look body case for the RX100 series (LCJ-RXK) which includes a lens jacket and shoulder strap to protect the camera from bumps and shocks. It provides easy access to the microphone jack and USB terminal which enables charging and image transfers without the need to remove the case. Available in Black or Beige.
Pricing and Availability
The RX100 VII and LCJ-RXK will ship in Europe in August 2019 priced at approximately €1,300 and £1,200 and €85 respectively.
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.