PhotographyBLOG

All Reviews
Best Digital Cameras

LATEST COMMENTS

Photocrati Fund Winner Announced
Date: Feb 09, 2016
Name: Dissertation referencing help

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: Jacqueline Knights

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: Xenderappforpc.com

Nikon D500 Launch Pushed Back to April 2016
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: Xender

Nikon D500 Launch Pushed Back to April 2016
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: tushar

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 08, 2016
Name: jill dean

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 07, 2016
Name: John Russell

Samsung NX 10mm f/3.5 Fisheye
Date: Feb 07, 2016
Name: clipping path service

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Winner
Date: Feb 06, 2016
Name: agen domino

Adobe Adds 100,000 4K Video Assets to Adobe Stock
Date: Feb 06, 2016
Name: thegoodgears

Latest Threads

MOST COMMENTS

Panasonic DMC-LX1 Announced (796)

Kodak Easyshare Z981 (514)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 (481)

Ricoh Caplio R3 Announced (422)

Panasonic DMC-FZ30 Announced (361)

Impossible B&W SX-70 Hard Color (265)

Fujifilm Finepix E550 Review (264)

Sony DSC-H5 and Sony DSC-H2 (242)

Canon G7 (227)

Samsung S800, Samsung S600 and Samsung S500 (209)

ARCHIVES

Digital Photography Blog
Digital Wedding Forum
Everyday Eye
Mark Goldstein
Mobile Phones
ShutterPoint

Saturday Shout: How Do You Share Your Photos?

Saturday ShoutA recent survey (see the next story below) concluded that most of us take photos in order to share them, with email by far the most popular method. Social networking websites are also becoming more important, think sites like MySpace, Flickr and FaceBook, whilst printing is still growing, but not as quickly. The survey also idenitified some interesting age distinctions, with under-25’s eager to share, over 45’s more concerned with the storage and preservation of their memories, and 25-44 year olds a mixture of the two. I want to find out how PhotographyBLOG readers predominantly share their photos. Are you an avid Flickr or online Gallery user? Do you prefer a physical print? Or do you find yourself viewing most photos on a computer monitor? And have you found any cool new services or ways of sharing your photos? Shout out now...

Published: Saturday, May 19, 2007

Compare Prices

Support PhotographyBLOG: Buy this product from one of our affiliate retailers (US first/red, UK second/blue):

Reader Comments

1. I use http://fotki.com ... I've been using them since they were very young. It has the best interface as far as I'm concerned... it is very intuitive to use and the prints are excellent. You can print up to 4-feet by 4-feet! I use this too, and the prints are excellent.

If I want a super high quality print, I upload the individual images I want to print to http://mpix.com and print using metallic paper. But for most prints, fotki's service is ideal (and not too expensive).

Bill at 03:46pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

2. I should add that when you pay for Fotki's service you get unlimited storage and bandwidth. I'm up over 57gig of image files at this point.

Bill at 03:47pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

3. I find emailing (receiving or sending) of photos to be annoying and bothersome. Sites like Flickr and PicasaWeb are far better solutions.

That said I use Flickr for the community aspects but roll my own Gallery (using http://gallery.menalto.com) for family and friends.

And I maintain a daily photoblog as a way to motivate myself to shoot.

phule at 04:57pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

4. Email and Flickr are my choice for ways to share photos. Especially Flicr since it is so easy to send a link.

Corey at 05:35pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

5. http://www.pbase.com/

I hate Flickr.

K at 05:38pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

6. I use deviantart.com.

Just my 2 cents worth.

M Gottlieb at 07:18pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

7. One more thing:

M Gottlieb at 07:20pm on Saturday, May 19, 2007

8. deviantart.com if one of my favourites.

Rick at 12:06am on Sunday, May 20, 2007

9. I've just started a tumblelog http://www.tumblrful.com over at tumblr.com
    Tumblr is pretty quick and easy to use for sharing photos, videos, links, text etc.

Peter H at 01:58pm on Monday, May 21, 2007

10. http://www.redbubble.com - Online galleries, profiles and the ability to sell your work as well.

James at 04:51am on Tuesday, May 22, 2007

11. I upload photos to my own gallery as well as flickr . I also mail out a couple of images to friends.

Arun at 03:16am on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

12. My primary source of sharing images is through my web site and blog. I've been using my Flickr site to share my photos and meet new photographers. Most recently I've been leveraging Flickr for my web site's gallery. Ultimately the web in general is a vehicle to share. My work is printed and displayed both for personal enjoyment and fine art purposes.

The web affords some interesting opportunities for sharing and not in ways tied to just one service. Recently I initiated a Photo Blog Project recruiting photographers to share on their web site's their favorite photo and the story behind it. Submissions close this Thursday and I think it's going to be a great mechanism for photographers to network and learn from one another. In my mind sharing is as much a creative outlet as capturing in image.

Jim Goldstein at 06:30pm on Wednesday, May 23, 2007

13. I've found that I've become a bit overextended as far as sharing goes. I have my own gallery on my website, plus I have a "best of" collection on flickr, as well as a myspace and yahoo360 page that are basically adverts of the updates of my main gallery. Also with a select few, I've found that the yahoo IM photo sharing to be a great way to put up a few images and discuss them, and I also submit to various galleries for comments. I've come to learn that there are some people who will come to me, but their are still those I have to seek out if I want them to see what's new.

I also still print out posters and 8x10s of my favorite works.

Mike at 08:47am on Thursday, May 24, 2007

14. I use Flickr. I'm pretty selective about what I upload, and I never upload full-size images.

IMHO, using any online service as a backup for your photos is not a good idea in the long run.

Tom at 02:20pm on Friday, June 01, 2007

15. I have used photobox.co.uk for a long time mainly to share holiday photos with the family and for printing. Their print service is excellent. I have sent images to them at 5 pm and received the prints in next mornings post. Have started using filckr.

William Taylor at 02:36pm on Friday, June 01, 2007

16. I run a website called MyParkPhotos.com and it's mainly for showing photos of public parks, refuges, forests,and trails. It's a very small community, but several very good photographers who enjoy sharing their photos online with a group promoting public lands. I used to have a gallery on Flickr also, but found have two galleries was a little too much...I'm in that 25-44 range of photographers.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out in the future with some many photosharing websites and options available to everyday and professional photographers.

Please do visit our website and for those in England, we'd love to see some photos of the parks in your country!

James Chapman at 03:13pm on Friday, June 01, 2007