Fujifilm X100 Further Details

December 13, 2010 | Mark Goldstein | Digital | 9 Comments |

Fujfilm have released more details about the exciting new X100 camera. Further info has been released about the X100’s focusing capabilities, RAW mode, fixed lens design, and sensor. You can also check out our X100 Hands-On Photos.

Fujifilm UK Press Release

We had a fantastic response from photographers all over the world. The feedback generated a range of additional questions about the camera’s specification and functionality. We’ve answered some of them here, but more can be found at the X100 official website.

We’ve also highlighted two aspects of the X100’s performance which many people were particularly interested in knowing more about.

We’ll keep you posted with further updates as the camera’s launch date approaches, but in the meantime you can you can see the highlights here or visit the X100 site for more details.

Yours sincerely
The X100 Team

Focusing details revealed
Many of the questions we received were regarding the X100’s focusing capabilities, especially around how it manually focuses. While the camera is still in development and, therefore subject to change, we can confirm that the X100 offers three focusing options, selected by a switch on the left hand side of the body.

With manual focus selected, focusing is achieved using the focus ring around the lens barrel. A distance indication bar enables you to pre-focus if required, or you can simply use the electronic viewfinder to focus accurately. There is, however, no rangefinder focusing capability.

RAW functionality explained
There has been much discussion over the provision of a RAW button on the camera body. This button has two key functions, when shooting in JPEG mode, it enables the user to instantly capture both RAW and JPEG files, plus it also allows RAW files to be developed in camera.

Those photographers hoping for a dedicated ISO button will be pleased to hear that the Fn button on the X100’s top-plate gives instant access to ISO settings as a default.

Why does the X100 not have interchangeable lenses?
Image quality is paramount on the X100. That’s why the lens is fixed which, in turn, ensures that the light path and sensor position are perfectly matched for the best possible results. Our designers also wanted to keep the camera’s size down. Making the lens interchangeable, or offering a zoom lens alternative, would have increased bulk, detracting away from the X100’s original concept.

How much will the X100 cost?
Price is still to be confirmed

Why has Fuji chosen not to use the EXR sensor?
The EXR sensor was specifically designed for compact cameras where a small sensor is required. The APS-C CMOS sensor was chosen for the X100 as our designers were striving for optimal image quality and the large sensor matches the EXR Processor and Fujinon lens to perfection.

We have lots more feedback on the specification of the FinePix X100 including plans for accessories…

#1 Tony Hart

One other question. Where are you getting your pricing information from? I can't see these figures anywhere on the official X100 site. Not saying you're not correct, would just like to know the source.

Cheers!

11:58 am - Monday, December 13, 2010

#2 ccska

super amazing design!! i like it so much it is a digital camera but with a look of a classic old camera! well this will be great for everyone,,

12:56 pm - Monday, December 13, 2010

#3 guusdehoog

The pricing was already indicated around 1000 US dollar or Euro (Sorry, can't remember for sure which currency).
If you want this kind of image quality, but with interchangeable lenses: check out the Ricoh GXR!

1:23 pm - Monday, December 13, 2010

#4 Cees B

The prize is usd 1000 in Europe for 1000 euro's

11:10 am - Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#5 Thomas

Why does the X100 not have interchangeable lenses?
Image quality is paramount on the X100, forget these suckers like the Leica M8.2 or M9, get a X100 with a fixed lens... ;-)

10:08 pm - Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#6 rob

I hope, Fuji will continue development of a whole line of cameras along the same concept.

Perhaps, then, Leica will see the light and start thinking creatively instead of cramming the old technology (I mean, mainly, electronics) into modern cameras, relying on the quality of their optics to entice customers and charging "suckers" an arm and a leg for their cameras...

10:49 pm - Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#7 Gareth

Thomas, an M Series Leica will cost considerably more than an X100.

If you want to compare like with like take a look at the Leica X1. Then take a look at the features. You get considerably more features on the X100 than you do on the X1, even though the Leica costs about 60% more than the current projected price for the Fuji. Me I'll save 600 Euro and lose the Leica badge if only to gain an optical viewfinder. That 600 Euro will buy me more accessories for my DSLR.

You've got to learn that while Leica do sell (some) exceptional cameras they all come at a 100% markup just because they have a Leica badge.

10:50 pm - Wednesday, December 15, 2010

#8 kalliZ

I recently read a comment on another site stating that the X100 was not a camera for the “average consumer”. I’d like to put in a word here on behalf of the average consumer.

I’m not a professional photographer; not even a camera enthusiast. I’m an ordinary person who enjoys photography and has been using a point-and-shoot quite happily for years. Following a recent basic photography course I now want to upgrade. I’ve done my homework, read reviews, visited camera shops and talked to people. The choice is between a high-end compact and an entry-level SLR. I know an SLR would give me room to grow as a photographer and learn the craft, but even the smallest of them feels lumpy and heavy in my hands. It makes me weary just thinking about having to drag one around with me. I’ve seen some good quality compact cameras which are more my size but they all seem so pleased with themselves and I’ve left the shops without them.

Then, accidentally I came across a review of the X100 and since laying eyes on it I’ve stopped looking at anything else. I never thought I’d feel this way about a camera. I’m even carrying a picture of it around with me in my handbag.

Yes, it is made for professionals. Yes, it is going to be expensive; it means my birthday and Christmas presents for the next few years are going to be rolled into one gift. But it's clearer now that I don’t apparently need all the frills and the dazzling array of extra lenses. I just need a camera of quality; simple and stylish enough to encourage me to concentrate on making a beautiful photograph. In short, I just needed to be inspired, and I bet there are more of you “average consumers” out there secretly carrying around pictures of the X100 in your handbag or in your pocket - next to your heart.

Congratulations Fuji for having the vision.

7:37 pm - Thursday, December 16, 2010

#9 Tas Khan

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE AN OLD FASION SPLIt IMAGE MANNUAL FOCUSSING FACILITY ON X100?

11:23 pm - Thursday, January 13, 2011