Nikon D3000 Review
Updated 26/6: Luminar "Neptune" is out now with Accent AI, an AI photo filter!
Mac users, Macphun's all-in-one photo editor Luminar is available for just $69£52 for new users, or $59£44 for existing Macphun users. We rated Luminar as "Highly Recommended". Visit the Luminar web site to try it for free.
Use coupon code "PHOTOBLOG" to save another $10 on Luminar.
Windows users, Macphun's all-in-one photo editor Luminar is now available in beta for free ahead of the full release late 2017.
We rated Luminar for Mac as "Highly Recommended". Visit the Luminar web site to try the beta for free.
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)
Approx. 1.5 x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)
23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD sensor
Image Sensor Cleaning, Airflow Control System, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX 2 software required)
3,872 x 2,592 [L], 2,896 x 1,944 [M], 1,936 x 1,296 [S]
• NEF (RAW)
• JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression
• NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
Can be selected from Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape; selected Picture Control can be modified
SD (Secure Digital) memory cards, SDHC compliant
DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), Exif 2.21 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
Eye-level pentamirror single-lens reflex viewfinder
Approx. 95% horizontal and 95% vertical
Approx. 0.8 x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1.0 m-1)
18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
-1.7 to +0.5 m-1
Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark V screen with focus frame (framing grid can be displayed)
Quick return type
Instant return, electronically controlled
• AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR: All functions supported
• Type G or D AF NIKKOR without built-in autofocus motor: All functions except autofocus supported. IX NIKKOR lenses not supported.
• Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II. Lenses for F3AF not supported.
• Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except some shooting modes.
• AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II.
• Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function.
Note: Electronic rangefinder can be used if lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
1/4000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3 EV, Bulb, Time (requires optional Wireless Remote Control ML-L3)
X=1/200 s; synchronizes with shutter at 1/200 s or slower
Single-frame, continuous, self-timer, quick-response remote, delayed remote
Up to 3 fps (manual focus, mode M or S, shutter speed 1/250 s or faster, and other settings at default values)
Can be selected from 2, 5, 10, and 20 s duration
TTL exposure metering using 420-pixel RGB sensor
• Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses)
• Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8-mm circle in center of frame
• Spot: Meters 3.5-mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point
• Matrix or center-weighted metering: 0 to 20 EV
• Spot metering: 2 to 20 EV
Auto modes (auto, auto [flash off ]), Scene Modes (Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close up, Night portrait), programmed auto with flexible program (P), shutter-priority auto (S), aperture-priority auto (A) manual (M)
-5 to +5 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
ISO 100 to 1600 in steps of 1 EV. Can also be set to approx. 1 EV above ISO 1600 (ISO 3200 equivalent), auto ISO sensitivity control available
Can be selected from On or Off
Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection, 11 focus points (including one cross-type sensor), and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5 to 3m / 1 ft. 8 in. to 9 ft. 10 in.)
-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20oC/68oF)
• Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status
• Manual focus (MF): Electronic rangefinder can be used
Can be selected from 11 focus points
Single-point AF, dynamic-area AF, auto-area AF, 3D-tracking (11 points) AF
Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (Single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Approx. 12/39, 13/43 with manual flash (m/ft, ISO 100, 20oC/68oF)
-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20oC/68oF)
• TTL: i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR using 420-pixel RGB sensor are available with built-in flash and SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, or SB-400 (i-TTL balanced fill-flash is available when matrix or center-weighted metering is selected)
• Auto aperture: Available with SB-900, SB-800 and CPU lens
• Non-TTL auto: Supported flash units include SB-900, SB-800, SB-80DX, SB-28DX, SB-28, SB-27, and SB-22S
• Range-priority manual: Available with SB-900 and SB-800
Auto, auto with red-eye reduction, fill-flash, auto slow sync, auto slow sync with red-eye correction, and rear curtain with slow sync
-3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
Lights when built-in flash or optional flash unit such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-80DX, SB-28DX, or SB-50DX is fully charged; blinks for 3 s after flash is fired at full output
ISO 518 hot-shoe with sync and data contacts and safety lock
Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-900, SB-800, or SU-800 as commander; Flash Color Information Communication supported with built-in flash and all CLS-compatible flash units
Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 (optional)
Auto, incandescent, fluorescent (7 types), direct sunlight, flash, cloudy, shade, preset manual, all except preset manual with fine turning.
3-in., approx. 230 k-dot TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
Full-frame and thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images or calendar) playback with playback zoom, playback of stop-motion movies created with D3000, slide show, histogram display, highlights, auto image rotation, and image comment (up to 36 characters)
Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9a
AC Adapter EH-5a; requires Power Connector EP-5 (optional)
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Approx. 126 x 97 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.8 x 2.5 in.)
Approx. 485 g (1 lb. 1.1 oz.) without battery, memory card, or body cap
0 to 40oC (32 to 104oF)
Less than 85% (no condensation)
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL9a , Quick Charger MH-23,, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Rubber Eyecap DK-20, USB Cable UC-E4, Video Cable EG-D100, Camera Strap AN-DC3, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-1, Body Cap BF-1A, Software Suite CD-ROM