Fujifilm Announces 5 New X-series Lenses for 2022/23
Fujifilm have officially announced the XF 18-120 power zoom and XF 150-600 super-telephoto lenses, as well as adding three more new optics to the X-Series lens roadmap.
The XF 18-120 F4 R LM PZ WR is a versatile all-in-one power zoom lens that's predominantly aimed at videographers. It offers three different ways of operating the power zoom and can also be controlled via the camera body. Offering a 35mm equivalent focal range of 27-183mm, this lens will cost £899 / $999 and be available in September 2022.
The XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR has now been released after first being unveiled back in September 2022. This dream lens for wildlife shooters will be fully compatible with Fuji's 1.4x and 2x teleconverters and is priced at a very reasonable £1899 / $1999 when it hits stores in July 2022.
Meanwhile, Fujifilm have also unveiled three new lenses via an update to their X-Series lens roadmap.
The first is the new XF 56mm F1.2, which will effectively replace both versions of this focal length (including the APD version) when it's released later this year.
Another new lens that's promised for 2022 is the XF 30mm F2.8 R Macro, while 2023 will see the launch of the XF 8mm F3.5 ultra-wide-angle prime.
Fujifilm Press Release
Bringing super-telephoto capability to the X Mount
Introducing the FUJINON Lens XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR
New super-telephoto zoom offers premium image quality, lightweight design and outstanding speed
FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the FUJINON Lens XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR in July, 2022. The new lens joins the extensive lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR covers focal lengths ranging from the telephoto 150mm to the super-telephoto 600mm (equivalent to 229mm – 914mm in the 35mm film format). It supports teleconverters and, if fitted with the XF2X TC WR, its range extends to up to 1200mm (equivalent to 1828mm in the 35mm film format), allowing liberal framing unrestricted by shooting distance to capture wildlife and wild birds, or tracking athletes across all corners of a vast stadium in sports photography. Furthermore, the lens boasts lightweight design and fast and highly accurate AF, thus offering perfect operability and advanced subject tracking performance even at the super-telephoto end.
The XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is a super-telephoto zoom lens that covers up to 600mm (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format). The super-telephoto range is prone to image degradation with axial chromatic aberration, but the lens takes advantage of its construction, consisting of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three ED elements and four Super ED elements, to deliver an advanced level of image resolution edge to edge across the entire zoom range.
The XF 150-600mm F5.6-8 R LM OIS WR has been designed with a focus on keeping it lightweight. The result is a non-extending Inner Zoom lens that weighs just 1605g (without lens food, lens cap, and tripod collar foot) and has minimal shift in weight distribution for a stable grip with reduced burden. Users are assured of ease of use even during extended photography expeditions for wildlife, wild birds or sports photography in search for a decisive photo moment. The fast AF system, driven by the linear motor, attains a perfect focus quickly and accurately even in the super-telephoto range, where focusing is difficult due to a shallow depth of field, thereby assuring to capture a decisive photo opportunity.
Zoom lens covering Fujifilm lineup’s longest super-telephoto range in pursuit for premium image quality
- The new lens covers Fujifilm lineup’s longest focal length range, from the telephoto 150mm to the super-telephoto 600mm (equivalent to 229mm – 914mm in the 35mm film format), making it a perfect choice for wildlife, birds and sports photography.
- The lens, consisting of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three ED elements and four Super ED elements, thoroughly suppresses axial chromatic aberration, typically seen in super-telephoto lenses. It delivers a high level of edge-to-edge image-resolving performance across the entire zoom range.
- The HT-EBC coating, typically used on broadcast lenses, has been applied on all elements to achieve high transmittance and low reflectance despite containing 24 lens elements.
- It supports the teleconverters “XF2X TC WR” and “XF1.4X TC WR.” When coupled with the XF2X TC WR, this lens covers focal lengths range from 300mm to 1200mm (equivalent to 457mm – 1828mm in the 35mm film format).
Rugged yet lightweight design to reduce user load, enabling extended shooting in a variety of situations
- It weighs just 1605g(without lens food, lens cap, and tripod collar foot) despite being a super-telephoto zoom reaching up to 600mm (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format). Two Super ED elements are used as frontmost elements to keep the lens barrel small while maintaining an advanced level of image-resolving performance. The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure. The result is a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution.
- The lens body is in matte silver to mitigate its temperature increase during operation. This reduces the risk of the lens heating even during wildlife, birds or sports photography in sweltering heat, giving users peace of mind.
- Magnesium alloy is used for the internal base frame that supports the lens structure to keep the weight low and make it robust at the same time.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 19 locations to ensure dust- and weather-resistance and ability to operate at temperatures down to 10 degrees Celsius below zero. It can withstand use in nature photography in a field of snow or in the tropics, or in sports photography under rough weather.
5-stop image stabilisation mechanism
- At the super-telephoto 600mm focal length (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format), the longest in Fujifilm’s lineup (*1), the size of camera shake becomes too great to be controlled with in-body image stabilization. It becomes therefore necessary to apply fine optical axis adjustment in the lens before an image is formed on sensor. The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR features a high-precision sensing and control system to deliver a 5-stop (*2) optical image stabilization mechanism, one of the strongest for super-telephoto zooms, making it easier than ever to shoot at the super-telephoto range, most susceptible to camera shake. Users can take full advantage of the mobility of the compact X Mount when shooting super-telephoto photography hand-held.
*1 As of May 31, 2022
*2 Compliant with CIPA in pitch / yaw directions
Diverse functions for fast and silent AF and easy AF operation
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight focus lens group with a linear motor to achieve a fast and silent AF. The focus is attainted quickly and precisely in just 0.25 seconds (*3) even in the hard-to-focus super-telephoto range, ensuring to capture a decisive photo opportunity.
- The Focus Preset function is featured so that the lens remembers the focus for a location pre-defined with the SET button (*4). Users can keep shooting without having to re-adjust focus on a targeted subject.
- The Focus Limiter is another feature, allowing users to restrict the lens’s AF range. This can effectively shorten AF time when photographing a subject that is 5 meters away or more. The Focus Limiter can be activated with the focus range selector.
- The Focus Control button is placed at the front edge of the lens barrel (*4). Use the Focus Select switch for added operability of AF and focus lock.
*3 AF speed measured at the telephoto end, using an internal measurement method compliant with the CIPA Guidelines, when mounted on the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-T4” with Phase Detection AF activated and the High Performance Mode turned ON. The AF speed at the wide-angle end under the identical condition is approx. 0.15 seconds.
*4 Camera firmware must be updated to activate the Focus Preset function and the Focus Control button. The update is to be released later for the FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-S10.
Introducing the FUJINON Lens XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR
Fujifilm announces hybrid lens with a fully electric drive control mechanism.
A versatile zoom that caters to all situations in both stills and videos
FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the FUJINON Lens XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR in September, 2022. The new lens joins the extensive lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary colour reproduction technology.
The XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR covers focal lengths ranging from the wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 120mm (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). The highly versatile 6.7x power zoom in a compact design facilitates a variety of shooting situations including landscape (wide angle) and portraiture (telephoto). Furthermore, the lens can produce premium quality video thanks to advanced video performance the company has nurtured over many years in the fields of broadcast leases and cine lenses. This lens alone caters to high quality imagery, both stills and videos, in versatile scenes.
The XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR is a power zoom lens covering focal lengths from 18mm in wide angle end to 120mm in telephoto end (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). It offers the constant maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire range from wide angle to telephoto, and maximum magnification ratio of x0.2 to capture close-up shots. Single lens accommodates a wide variety of photographic situations including wide-angle landscape photography, portraiture taken wide open at F4 at the telephoto end to produce beautifully blurred background, and close-up shots of flowers and other plants at the maximum magnification ratio of x0.2.
The XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR renders itself well to filming video as it suppresses change in angle of view during focusing and optical axis shift during zooming. Users can zoom and focus with peace of mind while filming video, thus facilitating premium-quality video production. In addition to the regular zoom and focus rings, the lens is equipped with additional video features, i.e. a variable zoom / focus control ring and a zoom button for constant zooming. These versatile video functions have only been made possible thanks to the expertise of the FUJINON Lens brand, which has produced numerous broadcast lenses and cine lenses.
Photographers can enjoy a hybrid shooting experience, capable of capturing any scenes in both stills and videos.
Broad range of focal lengths for superior stills and videos
- The lens consists of 15 lens elements in 12 groups including three aspherical elements and three ED elements, to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion and chromatic aberration for excellent image-resolving performance. Users can precisely capture fine details in information-heavy landscape photography at wide angle as well as in telephoto closeups of a subject such as portraiture.
- The optimum positioning of focus lens suppresses focus breathing optically. Advanced technology, on which FUJINON cine lenses are built, reduces change in angle of view during focusing in video filming to offer a superior filming experience.
- The aspherical elements and ED elements are effectively positioned to achieve the 6.7x zoom ratio and compact design, while also offering the fast maximum aperture of F4.0 across the entire zoom range.
- The optimum positioning of the aspherical elements enables close-up photography at the maximum magnification ratio of x0.2 with the minimum working distance of just 46cm from the front-most lens element across the entire zoom range. In the telephoto range, which extends to the focal length of 120mm (equivalent to 183mm in the 35mm film format), the lens can go up close to a subject to fill the entire frame. The compact lens design makes it possible to approach right up to a subject in both stills and videos even at the telephoto range.
Fast and highly accurate AF
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight focus lens group with the linear motor. The compact design of the focus lens group facilitates precision AF at approx. 0.02 seconds (*1), ensuring that users do not miss a decisive photo opportunity.
- The lens’ focus-tracking performance is dramatically improved when it is mounted on the FUJIFILM X-H2S, also announced today. The lens supports the camera’s high-speed focus drive mechanism to maintain a natural focus on a moving subject even during video filming.
*1 Using an internal measurement method compliant with the CIPA Guidelines, when mounted on the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-T4” with Phase Detection AF activated and the High Performance Mode turned ON
Diverse video-filming functions for easy video production
- The aperture drive control has been updated to successfully suppress exposure shift linked to aperture adjustments. When the level of luminosity changes, the aperture transitions smoothly so that users can comfortably film a scene with a rapid change of brightness.
- The lens features a zoom / focus control ring, which allows users to control zooming or focusing at a variable speed. During video filming, users can control the pace of zooming or focusing exactly as they intend for greater freedom in video expressions.
- The lens also comes with the zoom button, which can drive zooming at a constant pace (*2), allowing anyone to master video production that involves zooming.
*2 With FUJIFILM X-H2S, it is possible to switch between zooming and focusing, and 8-level speed settings. For the FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-S10, future firmware updates will enable the functions too.
- When combined with the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-H2S” and optional accessory “FT-XH,” also announced today, this lens can be used to remotely film video. The lens and a camera used with it can be controlled online in a browser to enable multi-camera shooting with limited staff availability.
Compact and lightweight design for advanced mobility
- The aspherical elements and ED elements are effectively positioned to achieve the design, weighing just 460g, measuring 123.5mm in length and with the filter thread diameter of 72mm. It boasts advanced portability despite broad coverage of focal lengths to facilitate agile filming.
The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure. The result is a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution. Additionally, instead of the conventional cam barrel, in which the lens barrel rotates, this lens uses a smooth power zoom mechanism that drives the zoom lens group linearly with a stepping motor to achieve high-quality zooming with no optical axis shift across the entire zoom range from wide angle to telephoto.
Dust and weather resistant structure capable of operating at low temperatures
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 13 locations to ensure dust- and weather-resistance and ability to operate at temperatures down to 10 degrees Celsius below zero. It can withstand sudden weather change or a dusty location, allowing users to shoot in any situations with peace of mind.
Fujifilm unveils the latest development roadmap for interchangeable lenses for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras
Adding three new lenses to create an extensive 42-lens lineup, broadening the series’ coverage of shooting situations
FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) has unveiled the latest development roadmap for interchangeable XF lenses for the X Series of compact and lightweight mirrorless digital cameras, which offer outstanding image quality based on the company’s proprietary colour reproduction technology. The latest roadmap shows the addition of three new lenses, a large-diameter mid-telephoto prime lens, a standard macro lens and an ultra-wide-angle prime lens.
Fujifilm has been expanding the lineup of XF lenses to broaden the appeal of premium image quality and advanced mobility made possible by the X Mount system*1.
In the latest move, the company is adding a medium telephoto prime lens to join the new-generation of large-aperture prime lenses, which will now cover broad focal lengths from 18mm (wide angle, equivalent to 27mm in the 35mm film format) to 56mm (mid-telephoto, equivalent to 85mm in the 35mm film format). Users can enjoy an impressive image descriptive capability, produced with outstanding image quality and image-resolving power, in an even broader range of photographic situations.
The Compact Prime series will have two additions, i.e. a standard macro lens and an ultra-wide-angle lens. They complement existing lenses in the series to broaden its coverage, catering to the diverse shooting needs of users thanks to the advanced mobility of the X Mount system.
Interchangeable lenses newly added to the roadmap
Fast medium telephoto prime lens “XF 56mm F1.2”
This is a mid-telephoto lens to join the new-generation “large-aperture prime lenses” series that pursue ultimate image quality.
Standard macro lens “XF 30mm F2.8 R Macro”
This is a compact macro lens with a standard angle of view. Its compact and lightweight design makes it a perfect walkaround lens. Covering a wide range of shooting situations including snapshots, landscape, portrait as well as tabletop photography of foods and accessories.
Ultra-wide-angle prime lens “XF 8mm F3.5”
This is a compact ultra-wide-angle lens that has the widest-angle focal length among prime XF lenses. Despite the ultra-wide-angle focal length, the lens is compact and lightweight, making it an ideal walkaround lens.
With the versatile lineup of 42 lenses including the three that has been newly added to the development roadmap, Fujifilm will continue to cater to users’ diverse photographic needs.
*1 The system based on the X Mount, a lens mount for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras equipped with an APS-C sensor
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.