Fujifilm GF 20-35mm F4 R WR Ultra-wide-angle Medium-format Lens
The Fujifilm GF 20-35mm F4 R WR is an ultra-wide-angle medium-format lens that offers an effective focal range of 16-28mm in 35mm terms.
Key features of this compact lens include the constant F4 open aperture across the zoom range, weight of just 725g and use of the highly versatile 82mm filter size.
Available from September 29th 2022, the Fujifilm GF 20-35mm F4 R WR is priced at £2349 in the UK.
Fujifilm Press Release
UWA world with information-dense large-format photography
Introducing the FUJINON Lens GF 20-35mm F4 R WR
GF lens series’ widest-angle zoom to expand wide-angle photographic potential
FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON Lens GF 20-35mm F4 R WR” (GF 20-35mm F4 R WR) on September XX, 2022. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable GF lenses designed for the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras, incorporating a large-format sensor*1approximately 1.7 times larger than a full-frame 35mm sensor.
The GF 20-35mm F4 R WR is a zoom lens covering the focal length range from the ultra wide-angle (UWA) 20mm to the wide-angle 35mm (equivalent to 16mm – 28mm in the 35mm format). The UWA coverage to 20mm (equivalent to 16mm in the 35mm format) captures information-dense subject matters such as a wide expanse of landscape or cityscape with precise details in high resolution, thanks to the advanced capability of the GFX Series. The wide angle of view, which is much broader than the human field of view, enables photographing a subject right in front of you from a close distance. The convenience of having the constant F4 open aperture across the zoom range is coupled with the compactness and lightweight of lens design to provide additional mobility, unlike the regular large-format photographic equipment. It is perfect for users who travel for many hours in search of vast expanses of wilderness, as well as for shooting a full view of a small room or taking advantage of wide-angle lenses’ unique perspective or capturing scenes in a documentary style. Enjoy the UWA world of capturing every detail that spreads out in front of your eyes in superior information volume that only a large-format photographic system can deliver.
*1 An image sensor that measures 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm) and is approximately 1.7 times larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor
The GF 20-35mm F4 R WR consists of 14 elements in 10 groups, including three aspherical elements, one ED aspherical element and three ED elements, effectively controlling various types of aberrations to provide advanced image-resolving performance. In order to inhibit ghosting and lens flair, typically seen in wide-angle lenses, the new lens is applied with the Nano GI (Gradient Index) coating that effectively controls angled incident rays to minimize ghosting and lens flair, thus achieving image clarity.
The GF 20-35mm F4 R WR’s ultimate compact design means it weighs just 725g despite being a constant F4 UWA zoom lens. The use of the highly versatile 82mm filter size makes a wide variety of filters compatible, broadening the scope of visual expressions. UWA lenses tend to be huge, but Fujifilm has designed this lens compact to make it more comfortable for landscape photographers who spend many hours outdoors in search for expansive views.
1. Product name, release date and price
Recommended retail price (incl. tax)
GF 20-35mm F4 R WR
- UWA zoom lens that extends the wide-angle region of GF lens lineup in pursuit of premium image quality
- The new lens covers focal lengths from the UWA 20mm to wide-angle 35mm (equivalent to 16-28mm in the 35mm format), that is the widest in the lineup of Fujifilm’s GF lenses to capture information-dense subject matters in a wide expanse of landscape or cityscape and to take advantage of wide-angle lenses’ unique perspective.
- The GF 20-35mm F4 R WR consists of 14 elements in 10 groups, including three aspherical elements, one ED aspherical element and three ED elements, effectively controlling distortion and chromatic aberration to achieve advanced image-resolving performance. This is why the lens can present, in superior precision, all information of a subject matter recorded within the wide angle of view.
- The lens is applied with Fujifilm’s unique Nano GI Coating technology. It seamlessly changes incoming light’s refractive index as it enters into the lens to mitigate light reflection, thereby effectively reducing ghosting and lens flair even when there are angled incident rays.
(2) Compact design that brings mobility to large format equipment
- The lens is structured almost symmetrically with the aperture at the center to achieve optimum aberration correction and compact lightweight design at the same time. The short flange focal distance, a unique characteristic of mirrorless photographic equipment, has been utilized to the maximum extent to perfect optical design that has the optimum balance between image quality and weight/size. The lens weighs just 725g, measures approx. 112.5mm, and has the filter thread size of 82mm despite being an UWA zoom lens. The use of the highly versatile 82mm filter thread means users can choose from a variety of filters when shooting landscape. The Inner Zoom system is adopted to keep the full length of the lens constant, contributing to its lightweight and ease of zooming.
- A total of four aspherical elements are used in each of the lens groups to optimize the overall number of elements and their configuration, thus efficiently correcting aberrations to maintain advanced image quality while keeping the compact form factor. The concave lens surface of strong curvature, typically seen in UWA lenses, is applied with specialized coating with even thickness to reduce ghosting which occurs when coating thickness is uneven.
- Magnesium alloy is used for components around the lens mount to make it lightweight and robust at the same time. The shape of components has been updated to keep the lens mount area slim and to accommodate the Inner Zoom system to keep the lens length constant. These features make the lens easy to hold and maneuver, unlike other bulky UWA zooms.
(3) Ruggedized lens that is dust- and weather-resistant and capable of operating at temperatures as low as -10 ℃
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed in 12 places to ensure dust- and weather-resistance as well as the ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃. The front lens element is applied with fluorine coating to repel water and offer protection against stains. This means users can enjoy the lens with peace of mind to shoot landscape in snow-blanketed fields, in the tropics, or outdoors in harsh weather conditions.
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.