Fujifilm X-H2 Offers 40 Megapixels and 8K/30P Video
The Fujifilm X-H2 is a new flagship mirrorless camera that has a 40 megapixel APS-C sensor and can record 8K/30p video.
Other stand-out features include a maximum shutter speed of 1/180,000 second, 160 megapixel Pixel Shift mode, 20fps burst shooting, and 7-stops of IBIS.
The XH2 will be available in September 2022 priced at £1899 / £1999 body only in the UK and US respectively.
Fujifilm Press Release
Equipped with the new 40.2MP “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR” sensor to deliver the highest image quality in the history of the X Series
Mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-H2”
Supporting 8K/30P internal recording to broaden X Series’ content creation potential in both stills and videos
TOKYO, September 8, 2022 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-H2” (X-H2) on September XX, 2022. The camera joins the lineup of the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their outstanding image quality in both stills and videos, delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The X-H2 features the new back-illuminated 40.2MP “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR”*1 sensor and the high-speed “X-Processor 5.” This is a new flagship model boasting the highest resolution in the history of the X Series in both stills and videos, delivering high-resolution stills as well as becoming the world’s first*2 APS-C camera to enable 8K/30P Apple ProRes*3 internal recording.
Improvement in image quality delivered by the new sensor is complemented with advanced features including minimum standard ISO125, maximum shutter speed of 1/180000 sec with electronic shutter, and the PIXEL SHIFT MULTI SHOT to enhance visual expressions. The X-H2 also offers functions and interfaces that assist shooting, such as the subject-detection AF based on Deep Learning technology that automatically detects and tracks a broader range of subjects like animals and birds, five-axis and up to seven stops of in-body image stabilization*4, 0.8x magnification and 5.76 million dot EVF as well as a card slot compatible with CFexpressTM Type B card*5, ensuring that users can enjoy the X-H2’s high image quality in a variety of situations.
In addition to the high-speed flagship model FUJIFILM X-H2S, with the release of the high-resolution flagship model X-H2, our flagship "X-H series" now has two lineups. The high-speed flagship model X-H2S excels in shooting a moving subject, whereas the high-resolution flagship model X-H2 delivers exceptional image quality that transcends the normal quality limit for the format. With the double-flagship models, Fujifilm ensures to cater to all the shooting needs of professional photographers and videographers.
*1 X-Trans is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
*2 As of September 8, 2022, according to Fujifilm data
*3 *Apple ProRes is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries and regions
*4 When coupled with the FUJINON XF35mmF1.4 R
*5 CFexpress™ is a trademark or registered trademark of the CompactFlash Association
1. Product names, release date and prices
Recommended retail price (incl. tax)
September XX, 2022
Digital camera lens kit
“XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR”
September XX, 2022
2. Main product features
1. Featuring the new X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR sensor and the high-speed X-Processor 5 to produce the highest image quality in the history of the X Series
(1) The X-H2 is equipped with the all-new back-illuminated 40.2MP “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR” sensor. The high-resolution 40.2MP sensor has an improved image-processing algorithm to enhance image resolution without compromising the S/N level, producing an astonishing image quality. It also has an improved pixel structure to efficiently bring in a greater amount of light, enabling ISO125 as a standard sensitivity rather than an extended option. This is particularly beneficial during day-time outdoor shooting or to take advantage of the large aperture to produce bokeh.
(2) The use of the new sensor and resulting ability to control exposure time at a greater precision have improved the fastest shutter speed for the electronic shutter by 2.5 stops from the previous 1/32000 sec to 1/180000 sec. This allows users to leave the aperture wide open in glary conditions such as a sunny beach or a ski slope, or to capture a split-second motion.
(3) This is the first X Series camera featuring the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function. The camera uses the IBIS mechanism to shift the image sensor at high precision to carry out automatic shooting, recording 20 frames in a single shutter. The dedicated software “Pixel Shift Combiner” processes the captured frames to generate an image containing about 160 million pixels, which is perfect for commercial photography and digital archiving.
(4) The X-H2 supports the HEIF image format, which delivers 10-bit image quality in files up to 30% smaller than standard JPEG files, continuing to expand Fujifilm’s reputation of delivering high-quality images straight out of camera.
2. Excellent video performance that caters to professional video production needs
(1) With the incorporation of the new sensor, 8K movies can be recorded internally at 30P in 4:2:2 10-bit color. The X-H2 has a heat-dissipating design same as the X-H2S to enable recording 8K/30P video for approximately 160 minutes*6, making 8K video a practical option. Furthermore, it supports 8K over-sampling to produce high-quality 4K video, making maximum use of the high-resolution sensor to record video in superior image resolution.
(2) X-H2 supports three Apple ProRes codecs; ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2 also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy."*7. This reduces 8K video’s editing workload and streamlines the overall workflow from filming to post-production.
(3) X-H2 features a digital zoom function*8 that uses the camera's 40.2MP sensor to deliver up to 2x of digital zoom with little to no loss in resolution, when recording video in 4K, even with a prime lens attached to the camera. Use with XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR to get twice the reach and seamlessly transition to the digital zoom function when the lens reaches its maximum focal length.
(4) Combined with a compatible HDMI recording device from Atomos or Blackmagic Design, 12-bit RAW video output from X-H2 can be recorded as Apple ProRes RAW or Blackmagic RAW at resolutions and frame rates of up to 8K and 29.97 frames per second.
(5) In addition to F-Log, X-H2 also supports F-Log2, which records an expanded dynamic range of 13+ stops. *9 This range is wider than current F-Log, broadening post-production potential.
*6 When recording video at 25℃ from a cool start, with the auto power-off temperature set on High, H.265 4:2:0, a bitrate of 200Mbps, and vertical battery grip VG-XH using three batteries attached. The recording duration depends on remaining battery charge and the type and capacity of the memory card used. When the main unit heats up, filming may automatically stop.
*7 *Proxy not available for 8K/30P and 8K/25P recording.
*8 *Available in three modes: 4K HQ, 4K DCI HQ, and FHD
*9 *When recording F-Log2, based on Fujifilm internal testing.
3. Evolved AF performance that captures details accurately
(1) X-Processor 5 features subject-detection AF based on Deep Learning technology that automatically detects and tracks a broader range of subjects, including animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes, and trains – as well as human faces and eyes, so image-makers can concentrate on composition and creativity, confident that X-H2 will track focus accurately.
(2) The new high-resolution sensor has a greater number of phase detection pixels than current models, resulting in an improved ability to attain AF-S focus on a subject with high-frequency subject. Users can easily autofocus accurately in situations where AF-S is typically used, such as landscape and portrait photography. And the X-H2 also incorporates an improved AF prediction algorithm, which was newly developed for the X-H2S, enabling stable focusing even when using AF-C.
(3) The X-H2 is newly equipped with a focus meter as a MF assist during movie recording, allowing for more precise focus adjustment. It can also be used in combination with focus peaking.
(4) Recording 8K video requires focusing of advanced accuracy. The video AF algorithm has been optimized to improve autofocus accuracy, giving users a sense of confidence in using AF while filming 8K video.
4. Hardware and workflow that support users’ content creation experience
(1) A 5-axis in-body image stabilization system, made possible by X-Processor 5 and a sensing control function, provides up to seven stops of compensation. This powerful feature gives users the freedom to handhold in conditions that previously would have required support, such as low light. In addition, the in-body image stabilization function enables the image sensor to be shifted with high precision, making it possible to incorporate pixel-shift multi-shot capability for X-H2..
(2) The X-H2 is equipped with a high-magnification and high-definition 5.76-million-dot EVF with 0.8x magnification. It boasts smooth refresh frame rate of approx. 120fps and significant improvement in controlling parallax and distortion which typically occurs when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder for stellar visibility.
(3) The body design is the same as that of the X-H2S, with 79 weather-sealed points offering high levels of dust and moisture resistance, X-H2 is built to withstand the rigors of daily professional use and operate as normal in temperatures as low as -10°C . The top panel LCD screen, adjustable AF ON button press, 1.62 million-dot vari-angle LCD monitor, and independent movie recording button support comfortable operability.
(4) The X-H2 has one CFexpress™ Type B memory card slot and one UHS-II SD memory card slot. Draw out the full potential of X-H2’s incredibly its professional video performance with CFexpress™ Type B cards.*10
*10 See the Fujifilm website for a list of verified compatible cards.
(5) The X-H2S / X-H2 can be combined with the file transmitter “FT-XH” to enable wired and wireless LAN tethered video recording*11. Up to four X-H2S / X-H2 cameras can be connected simultaneously to enable the following operations from a computer browser:
・Check and adjust camera settings for each camera
・Simultaneously start and stop video recording for all cameras
・Save, load, and copy camera settings*12
*11 Update to the latest firmware is required for X-H2S when using this function.
*12 Camera settings can be saved to computer or tablet device, and can be loaded from computer or tablet device.
(1) Vertical battery grip “VG-XH” (for the X-H2S / X-H2)
・This vertical battery grip is dust- and moisture–resistant and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as -10°C. It fits two of FUJIFILM’s NP-W235 high-capacity batteries.
・The grip’s button layout is designed to provide equal operability whether holding the camera vertically or horizontally.
(2) File transmitter “FT-XH” (for the X-H2S / X-H2)
・This file transmitter features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered content creation or for creating sports/media content. It can also be used as a vertical grip fitting two of FUJIFILM’s NP-W235 high-capacity batteries.
・It can be combined with the X-H2S / X-H2 to support the following communication specifications:
1 FTP data transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB Smartphone tethering
2 Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
3 Remote recording function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; capable of controlling up to four X-H2S / X-H2 cameras from a browser at the same time
(3) Cooling fan “FAN-001” (for the X-H2S / X-H2)
・Specifically designed for the X-H2S / X-H2 to facilitate extended video recording in high temperatures
・The fan can be fit to the rear of the camera body without a cable, supplying power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperature, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
(4) Cover kit “CVR-XH” (for the X-H2S / X-H2)
・This cover kit for the X-H2S / X-H2 protects various terminals on the camera.
＜Items included in the kit＞
・1 x Sync terminal cover
・1 x Hot shoe cover
・1 x File transmitter / vertical battery grip terminal cover
・1 x Cooling fan terminal cover
・1 x Memory card slot cover
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.