Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R WR is New Mid-telephoto Prime APS-C Lens
The Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R WR is a new mid-telephoto prime lens that offers an equivalent focal length of 85mm in 35mm terms.
This is the first X Mount lens to feature 11 diaphragm blades for better bokeh and it also offers a minimum focusing distance of 50cm and weather resistance.
Available from 29th September 2022, the Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R WR is priced at £999 in the UK.
Fujifilm Press Release
Evolution of the X-mount mid-telephoto lens
Introducing the FUJINON Lens XF 56mm F1.2 R WR
Stunning bokeh from this fast mid-telephoto lens broadens the potential of visual expressions
FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON XF 56mm F1.2 R WR” (XF 56mm F1.2 R WR) on September XX, 2022. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF 56mm F1.2 R WR is a fast prime lens with the mid-telephoto focal length of 56mm (equivalent to 85mm in the 35mm format). It succeeds the popular F1.2 open aperture of its predecessor (FUJIONON Lens XF 56mm F1.2 R; the “previous model”) but features significant improvement in minimum focusing distance, image-resolving performance and beautiful rendering of out-of-focus background. Areas in focus show every detail in high resolution, while its open aperture can produce beautiful bokeh in the background to make the subject stand out, giving added definitions to the image. The previous model was useful for portrait photography due to its F1.2 open aperture and mid-telephoto characteristics. The new lens, however, has improved minimum focusing distance to facilitate table-top photography, and can also cater to a wide variety of shooting situations including street photography. Enjoy the appeal of the fast mid-telephoto lens, delivering incredible subject sharpness contrasted against beautiful bokeh in the background to direct the attention right to the subject.
The XF 56mm F1.2 R WR is a fast mid-telephoto prime lens that consists of 13 elements in eight groups including one ED element and two aspherical elements to achieve improved image-resolving performance over the previous model. Generous eight elements are used in the focusing group to minimize chromatic aberration, spherical aberration and comatic aberration to produce advanced image-resolving capability from MOD to infinity. The minimum focusing distance is reduced to just 50cm from the sensor surface, 20cm shorter than the previous model. The aspherical elements are also processed at higher precision to reduce the onion-ring effect in bokeh.
The shallow depth-of-field attributable to the F1.2 open aperture is enhanced further thanks to the shorter minimum focusing distance in close-up photography. The lens composition that generously uses aspherical, ED and high refractive elements minimizes various types of aberration and delivers beautiful bokeh. The new model has a significantly improved resolving capability in MOD compared to the previous model so that users can take maximum advantage of XF56mmF1.2 R WR’s advanced image resolution and creamy bokeh.
1. Product name, release date and price
Recommended retail price (incl. tax)
XF 56mm F1.2 R WR
September XX, 2022
(1) Outstanding image-resolving performance and stunning bokeh
- Metal mold processed in advanced precision to the tune of one-hundred thousandth of a millimeter is used to manufacture aspherical elements, capable of reducing the onion-ring effect in bokeh. The lens design, consisting of 13 elements in eight groups including two aspherical elements and one ED element, suppresses various types of aberration including chromatic aberration and spherical aberration to achieve edge-to-edge image sharpness and smooth bokeh in the off-focus background.
- The lens also uses three high-refractive elements, which are used in cinema lenses due to their effectiveness in aberration control, as part of the focusing group of eight elements to minimize chromatic aberration and comatic aberration for advanced image resolution from MOD to infinity.
- This is the first Fujifilm lens to use 11 diaphragm blades to achieve a near-perfect circle in the aperture (*1). Compared to the seven-blade aperture of the previous model, the new model provides a near-perfect circle even when the lens is stopped down only slightly from being wide open to create beautiful bokeh in a wide range of situations.
*1 As of September 9, 2022
(2) Unrestrained photographic approach with the fast mid-telephoto lens
- The new lens, with the mid-telephoto 56mm focal length (equivalent to 85mm in the 35mm format) and the open aperture of F1.2, is a perfect choice for portraiture to give clear separation to the subject from its background. In addition, the minimum focusing distance has been reduced to just 50cm (*2), 20cm shorter than the previous model, thanks to improved resolving capability at MOD. The reduced distance constraint in relation to the subject allows users to enjoy the appeal of this fast mid-telephoto prime in a greater variety of situations not limited to portrait photography.
*2 Distance from the sensor surface; The minimum distance from the front end of the lens is approximately 41cm.
(3) AF function driven by an evolved DC motor for fast and accurate autofocus
- A DC motor is used to drive the focusing group of eight elements and aperture unit for precise autofocusing, complementing the XF56mm F1.2 R WR’s advanced image resolution from MOD to infinity. The lens can attain focus quickly and accurately to seize a decisive photo opportunity even when shooting with a shallow depth-of-field, in which accurate focusing is essential.
- The use of a bearing mechanism has successfully reduced friction that arises when the DC motor is driving lens elements. The minimization of lens-driving friction means reduced motor noise.
(4) Advanced practical usability with dust- and weather-resistance and capability of operating at temperatures as low as -10°C
- The lens is design to take maximum advantage of the compact and lightweight X Mount System, weighting just 445g and measuring 76mm despite being a fast prime lens with the open aperture of F1.2. It reduces users’ strains in walking around with the lens mounted on a camera, adding an extra sense of mobility.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed in 9 places to ensure dust- and weather-resistance as well as the ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10°C. The front lens element is applied with fluorine coating to repel water and offer protection against stains. This means users can enjoy the lens with peace of mind to take photos outdoors in light rain or in dusty places.
Click on a thumbnail to see the full version.