Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II Film Scanner
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II film scanner is announced today, the successor to the popular Scan Elite 5400 model. The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II has a new Film Expert Algorithm which faithfully reproduces colours in images with different exposure characteristics and a Quick Scan System to enable scanning at a rate of 25 seconds per frame. The Konica Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II film scanner has a provisional price of £599.99 and will be available in February.
Konica Minolta UK Press Release
Konica Minolta introduces the DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II film scanner for photography enthusiasts and professionals. As the successor model to the award winning DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 which has been exceptionally popular thanks to its powerful 5400 dpi resolution, the DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II further improves colour reproduction with a new algorithm and delivers high speed scanning at a rate of 25 seconds* per frame. The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II combines all of the technologies that Konica Minolta has come to know as a manufacturer of film, cameras, scanners and photofinishing equipment.
The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II not only offers 42.2 Megapixel resolution by adopting a high performance 5400 dpi 3-line colour CCD, it improves colour reproduction of negative film with a new Film Expert Algorithm developed from photofinishing technology. Without the need of manual adjustment, it can faithfully reproduce colours in images with different exposure characteristics and colour balances from various types of negative film. The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II delivers the quality demanded of photo enthusiasts and professionals.
With a 16-bit A/D conversion and a wide dynamic range of 4.8, the DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II faithfully reproduces the rich variations in tone from the lightest to darkest areas of the original film image. Moreover, Multi-sample Scanning improves the scan data by reducing random noise.
The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II incorporates a Quick Scan System that greatly increases work efficiency over earlier models. Owing to an improved drive mechanism, optimised internal processing and proprietary optics, the time required for setup, scanning and auto-focusing has been greatly reduced. These improvements increase the speed of earlier models two-fold to enable scanning at a rate of 25 seconds* per frame. The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II features an Auto Loading Index that automatically activates index scanning the moment a film holder has been loaded. It also offers High Speed Preview that allows users to instantly display enlarged preview images without preview scanning. These features further shorten the total workflow by speeding up image selection and comparison.
The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II enables users to easily and accurately correct images, and thereby greatly improve workflow efficiency, by incorporating the renowned, Digital ICE4 technology, which offers detailed correction support, as well as the Konica Minolta feature, Pixel Polish, which allows users to correct images according to characteristics of the scene.
- Digital ICE
Digital ICE automatically detects and corrects dust, scratches, fingerprints, mildew and other blemishes found on the film surfaces. With quick and accurate processing, it reproduces the quality at the time the picture was taken.
- Digital ROC
Digital ROC uses advanced dye signature analysis to identify and restore faded colours on older film and slide images.
- Digital GEM
Digital GEM analyses film emulsion patterns and reduces graininess while preserving image quality, colour and sharpness.
- Digital SHO
Digital SHO optimises contrast and exposure to reveal additional image detail in areas of deep shadows or extreme highlights.
- Pixel Polish
Pixel Polish optimises brightness and colour to suit the scene, colour and contrast of each image. It corrects image characteristics such as people, nightscapes, trees and skies.
The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II is provided with three types of software applications in order support a wide range of users abilities and requirements. Users can select a driver according to objective and purpose. The Easy Scan Utility is an easy 3-step on-screen-instructed procedure that beginners can use with ease. The Batch Scan Utility makes the scanning workflow more efficient by enabling continuous scanning at a user-set resolution, exposure and with pre-determined corrections applied. The standard DiMAGE Scan Utility is ideal for achieving the best scan as it gives the user the option to set and correct all image parameters and adjustments in detail for every individual image.
The DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II has a Quick Scan button and Manual Focus dial on the front panel to make scanning even easier and quicker. Simply pressing the Quick Scan button starts up the DiMAGE Scan Launcher where the user can easily select the driver applications for the job at hand. In addition, workflow is shortened when settings have been changed because users need only to press a button to continuously scan six frames. The Manual Focus dial allows users to focus on the image, as they require.
DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II Major Features
- Delivers 42.2 Megapixels thanks to a high performance 5400 dpi 3-line colour CCD.
- Film Expert Algorithm for improving colour reproduction of negative film
- Quick Scan System for a faster workflow
- High speed scanning at 25 seconds* per frame even at 5400 dpi resolution
- Auto Loading Index that automatically starts index scanning when a film holder is loaded
- High Speed Preview to instantly display enlarged preview images
- High speed Autofocus
- 16-bit A/D conversion (calculated Dynamic Range of 4.8)
- Multi-sample scanning for reducing random noise
- Digital ICE4 to greatly increase work efficiency
- Digital ICE for Dust & Scratch Removal
- Digital ROC for Colour Restoration
- Digital GEM for Film Grain Management
- Digital SHO for Shadow & Highlight Optimisation
- Pixel Polish for various automatic image corrections
- Quick Scan button that continuously scans 6 frames from a single press
- Manual Focus dial for adjusting focus as desired
- 3 driver software applications to choose from
- Easy Scan Utility for easy 3-step scanning
- Batch Scan Utility for large volume scanning with less work
- DiMAGE Scan Utility for detailed image correction
- Master Setup that allows users to save and load all settings such as image correction, Digital ICE4 and others
- Edge-to-edge full frame scanning thanks to a new film holder that enables a 100% field of view.
- Hi-speed USB 2.0 interface
*Based on Konica Minolta’s standard test method under Windows environments.
Scan time under Macintosh environments is approximately 30 seconds per frame.