Leica have announced a firmware update for their X1 premium compact camera. This update includes “autofocus speed in low light conditions and with low contrast subjects”, with the X1’s auto-focus speed (or lack of) something that we were critical of in our review. The Leica X1 firmware update will be available to download tomorrow - full details after the break…
Leica Press Release
Allendale, NJ (March 28, 2011) – Leica Camera, Inc. is pleased to announce a firmware update for its high-performance digital compact camera, the LEICA X1. Users wishing to benefit from the new offerings can download the firmware update from the Leica website and take advantage of new, improved features beginning Tuesday March 29, 2011.
The new X1 firmware offers the following features and benefits:
· Improved manual focusing, with the focus screen showing the image based on an open aperture
· More accurate manual focusing with finer steps, when scrolling slowly with the click wheel
· Two manual focusing speeds for more accurate and faster manual focus operation
· Manual focusing lock now available
· Enlarged manual focusing scale display
· Depth of field scale displayed in manual focusing mode
· Manual focus settings retained in memory when camera is switched off
· Improved autofocus speed in low light conditions and with low contrast subjects, in particular when shooting multiple images of the same subject
· ISO setting displayed in Auto ISO mode
· Improved JPEG image quality
For more information, please visit: http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/x1.
About the Leica X1
The Leica X1 delivers the best picture quality among compact cameras. This elegant camera features a 12.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor in APS-C format, identical in size to those used in semi-professional DSLR cameras. Each individual pixel has a generous surface area and collects more light, therefore ensuring low noise levels, high dynamic range and accurate color differentiation. Expressed in terms of 35mm film format, the X1’s Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH lens has the same coverage as the legendary 35 mm focal length. While its numerous automatic functions make the X1 extremely fast and intuitive to use, its manual control options enable the photographer to maintain concentration on the creative aspects of the composition.